European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Lemmy on speed: "Because it makes me happy"

Ismene

Bluelighter
Quite a few stories about Lemmy and speed in the new biog by Mick Wall. Mick says "Lemmy offered me some of his industrial strength amphetamine, I told him I was in my 40s now and couldn't hack it anymore. He was in his 50s and had no intention of stopping. Ever. I said "Don't you worry about what it might be doing to you?" and Lemmy turned to me with an enormous pile of powder on his knife and said "Do i look worried?". Mick reckons he was taking about 3g a day from his days roady-ing for Hendrix until his health started failing in the last few years.

Then someone asked him in the period leading up to his death "At least you stopped taking speed" and Lem said "No, I still take it...I cut down" and the guy asked him why he took it and Lem said "Because it makes me happy".

I think Lemmy liked the methamphetamine if he could get it. Says the longest he stayed awake was 2 weeks on the liquid meth he could get in 1970.

I'm always a bit dubious when people claim to have stayed awake for two weeks as I'm sure that's physiologically impossible...

People often have micro sleeps that their not aware of having had..

I pretty certain that being awake for two weeks would kill you.

Yeah surely he must've micro-napped. I've no experience of staying up for that long, so have no idea how people do it.

Lemmy was vehemently against heroin - pretty sure there's countless clips of him telling his son if he's gonna do drugs then stick to speed.

Wonder how he managed the apocalyptic speed comedowns...

Probably with a bottle of JD.....or just with more speed :)

Warta moralistic guy

well he probably wasn't aware of how it could be used as a spiritual tool. warta fool morelike.

Smack is the drug of choice for the most enlightened of individuals, ya dun know

fwiw - Shooting yourself in the face is the pinnacle of zen.

∆ Thank you for your gracious knowledge.

Now, Lemme not digress the thread any further

stayed awake was 2 weeks on the liquid meth he could get in 1970.

Glad to see he, wartered it down

I'm always a bit dubious when people claim to have stayed awake for two weeks as I'm sure that's physiologically impossible...

I stayed up for 7 days with no speed. No naps. no mini naps even. It felt like i could have kept going, but it was uncomfortable as hell, all the hallucinations so i killed it w a kpin.

I've been doing a bit of reading about this just out of interest and apparently the world record is 264 hours or 11 days without sleep.

There is a condition called fatal familial insomnia which is how they know that not sleeping for long period is fatal. Also in lab rats preventing them from sleeping for an extended period leads to death.

If you think about it though apart from people with the aforementioned condition how could they really test it? Its not like you can get volunteers to see how long they can stay awake until they die.

Also sleep deprevation is meant to be one of the most effective form of torture as anyone who works 12 hour shifts alternating between days and nights will attest to. Its a bastard really. I was talking to a lass last week who had left her year 1 student paramedic course purely because she couldnt hack the shift patterns even though it had been her lifelong career goal. Its bad but it's not THAT bad ....

I watched documentary a while back that featured a family with a genetic condition that makes sleep itself physiologically impossible. The affected family members (obviously) lasted longer than a fortnight but the outlook was still pretty grim. As you'd expect, the complete absence of sleep contributes to a whole range of knock-on effects that culminate in a significantly reduced lifespan. Been a while since I saw it but if anybody's bitchin' 'bout the day they've had they may want to consider just how long and tough a day can get.

For myself, as you note it's hard to say due to microsleeps. During my heavy stimulant years I've spent periods lasting weeks where I haven't consciously settled to sleep. Nothing I know of is as deranging as extended periods of sleeplessness but it certainly can take you to some very, very strange places. Some of these states of mind I find fascinating, others I find terrifying and some I find deeply distressing. All of them have been interesting. I would like to think my personal research at the extremes is now done. It's given me some things to ponder 'pon.

I watched documentary a while back that featured a family with a genetic condition that makes sleep itself physiologically impossible. The affected family members (obviously) lasted longer than a fortnight but the outlook was still pretty grim. As you'd expect, the complete absence of sleep contributes to a whole range of knock-on effects that culminate in a significantly reduced lifespan. Been a while since I saw it but if anybody's bitchin' 'bout the day they've had they may want to consider just how long and tough a day can get.

For myself, as you note it's hard to say due to microsleeps. During my heavy stimulant years I've spent periods lasting weeks where I haven't consciously settled to sleep. Nothing I know of is as deranging as extended periods of sleeplessness but it certainly can take you to some very, very strange places. Some of these states of mind I find fascinating, others I find terrifying and some I find deeply distressing. All of them have been interesting. I would like to think my personal research at the extremes is now done. It's given me some things to ponder 'pon.

I think the condition that the family have in the documentary is that "fatal familial insomnia" I mentioned in my earlier post.

Quote from wiki......

"Fatal familial insomnia (FFI) is an extremely rare autosomal dominant inherited prion disease of the brain. It is almost always caused by a mutation to the protein PrPC, but can also develop spontaneously in patients with a non-inherited mutation variant called sporadic fatal insomnia (sFI). FFI has no known cure and involves progressively worsening insomnia, which leads to hallucinations, delirium, and confusional states like that of dementia. The average survival span for patients diagnosed with FFI after the onset of symptoms is 18 months."

Doesnt it affect like one family in Italy though? Plus they want to sleep and probably havent been snorting amphetamine for a week. Although I wouldnt blame them.

Well, Because it makes me happy seems to me an eminently sensible reason for taking any drug.

The converse also holds true ..... If your drug of choice is making you unhappy, stop taking it!

It certainly worked for him. He knew what he liked and he ran with it....a long long fucking way. Kind of makes me want to get some meth....even some JD to go with it though i find JD too sweet and prefer scotch. I cant see lemmy getting on the meth and a fine pinoy noir...