• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Legalizing marijuana: What would Jesus do?

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
The Rev. Pat Robertson says America should legalize marijuana. Would Jesus agree?

Msnbc.com put that question to a few theologians and religion experts, and the answer is … decidedly hazy.

Robertson, the outspoken Christian evangelist and host of “The 700 Club,” made national headlines this week when he told The New York Times that pot should be decriminalized and treated like alcohol because the government’s war on drugs has failed miserably and is costing taxpayers billions of dollars.

“I’ve never used marijuana and I don’t intend to, but it’s just one of those things that I think: this war on drugs just hasn’t succeeded,” he told the newspaper.

Scholars disagree on whether the Bible lays down the law on use of mind-altering drugs such as marijuana, also known as cannabis.

"It’s not so simple that you can just go to the Scriptures and say, 'Hey, that (passage) says marijuana should be illegal,' or 'that says marijuana should be legal.' There is no such passage," says Father Thomas Reese, S.J., senior fellow at Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University.

Some pro-pot Christians refer to Genesis 1:29 and interpret it to mean God does not frown on ingesting plants such as marijuana:

And God said, Behold, I have given you every plant bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, which has seed in its fruit; to you it shall be for food.

(...)

Carl A.P. Ruck, professor of classical studies at Boston University and co-author of “Apples of Apollo: Pagan and Christian Mysteries of the Eucharist,” contends there’s evidence biblical figures used cannabis as an ingredient in holy incense and anointing oil, as well as medicinally.

He says cannabis was widely cultivated throughout early Christian times, and contends Jesus himself used it. Jesus’ anointment with chrism, a cannabis-based oil, may have caused his spiritual visions, he adds.

“Residues of cannabis, moreover, have been detected in vessels from Judea and Egypt in a context indicating its medicinal, as well as visionary, use. Jesus is described by the apostle Mark as casting out demons and healing by the use of this holy chrism,” Ruck wrote in a 2003 newspaper column titled "Was there a whiff of cannabis about Jesus?” “Earlier, from the time of Moses until the later prophet Samuel, holy anointing oil was used by the shamanic Levite priesthood to receive the ‘revelations of the Lord.’ The chosen ones were drenched in this potent cannabis oil.”

cont at
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...-for-legalizing-marijuana-what-would-jesus-do

Proverbs 31:4-7 said:
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

I say we judge this based off of "love thy neighbor as thyself", whatever we love ourselves enough to give, better be able to give the same unto others, and we must not impair our ability to do good. Those who seek the Kingdom of God should be prepared at all times for the Second Coming and Judgment, so to be ready you musn't do anything you'd be ashamed of/think you could repent for later 'cause you might not be able to.

Check out the poll at the bottom of the Article :D

Is it OK for Christians to smoke pot recreationally?
75.4% Yes 22,995 votes
18.7% No 5,696 votes
5.9% Not sure 1,810 votes

Haha cool. I added my yes vote. Everyone should be allowed to smoke some pot in my books and not face any major consequences, unless they drive within 5 hours or something like that.

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every plant bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, which has seed in its fruit; to you it shall be for food."

so.....opium is cool too right?

too soon?

Jesus liked to smoke pot and dance because it made him happy.

You piss off god by making it illegal.

I've read the NT and it seems to me Jesus wouldn't give a shit about any legal matter.

Nor would he fall into the hypocrisy of saying not to do drugs while he himself was a drinker and manufacturer of alcohol.

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every plant bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, which has seed in its fruit; to you it shall be for food."

From this we can conclude that God is opposed to Thai sticks and other seedless forms of cannabis.

I thought the whole christian thing was interesting because I have some friends whose parents are fairly devout christians that are fairly cool with pot. They don't use it because its illegal but they don't really care that he does as long as he stays safe. These are people that attend church several times a week and yet they see through the bs. Some people say its cause they grew up in the 1970's but no matter what the reason, I think its pretty cool that they are open minded like that considering I grew up and still live in the bible belt.