• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

legal use of psychedelics for "religious" regions.

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
This might go along the lines of legal questions, which i know isn't allowed. But is much more general and not asking for legal advice so I will ask and please let me know if its out of line.

We know that in the US the use of psychedelics is allowed for religious reasons. ie the native amerians/peyote. And the Santo Daime church usuing Aya (apparently not limited to just natives....anyone can join this "church" from what I understand and legally take a schedule 1 drug in america).

So believing in magic and fairytales and magic spirits an entities in the sky/universe is a good reason for psychedelic use according to the regultory agencies, but intellecual expansion, self work/therapy, couples therapy, using it as a problems solving tool in art or science (plenty of successful examples in history) and social acceleration (ie not being piss drunk fist fighting at a bar and searching for vulnerable women to trick into coming home...instead gathering with friends and discussing your lives, how to improve them and how to sayve the world....are not valid reasons or uses)....but praying to spirits in the sky....thats is valid legal use in this country.

Sorry for the rant but here is the main question with these things considerd:

Since psychs cannot be used for their main purposes, if they are proposed to be use for religious purposes is there any chance?

now that legal precedent has been set already (albeit small) for the legal use of psychs under "religious" reasons....whats to stop people (organized, well funded groups) from creating religions based upon other psychedlic drugs and getting their use legalized for those individuals thatt have joined the relgion or become part of the group?

have there been additional efforts in this area which I have not heard of? I see alot of medical/psychiatry research going on these days to legitimize the scientific use of these tools....but what about the religious loophole?

Isn't there a 'religion' started in the 60s that tried to do this which claims DPT is its sacrament? (i forget the name)

^The Church of the Light or something like that. They continue using DPT as their sacrament to this day, and haven't had any legal trouble.

This is a good question, isn't it? The DPT church comes to mind. I'm not sure the government would allow a schedule 1 drug to be newly used as a sacrament (I think the native Americans are different because they have been using cactus/mushrooms/whatever for much longer than we have had laws, or even been here at all).

TITLE 21 – FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER II – DRUG ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
PART 1307 – MISCELLANEOUS
1307.31 – Native American Church.
The listing of peyote as a controlled substance in Schedule I, does not apply to the non drug use of peyote in bona fide religious ceremonies of the Native American Church, and members of the Native American Church so using peyote are exempt from registration. Any person who manufactures peyote for or distributes peyote to the Native American Church, however, is required to obtain registration annually and to comply with all other requirements of law.
http://nativeamericanchurches.org/dea-code-of-regulations-a/

I have been curious if the Bwiti, who recently became recognized in the USA as a declared religion, could somehow get around the illegality of iboga - which is sacred and often used in their rituals.

And, yes, you can literally buy a membership to the Native American Church.

In theory peyote is allowed but I think the reality is that they persecute them pretty hard. I know Leonard Mercado who used to grow peyote for the native american church and was a member was busted countless times.

I havn't heard much about the DPT church since the 2004 busts of research chemical places. Obviously DPT was theoretically legal in the US until then so that's why they got away with it. Incidentally it wasn't really much of a church, it was two blokes who lived in a hovel in an abandoned tenement who'se main purpose seemed to be enticing teenage girls.

That makes more sense to me rather then the rumors I have heard about the use of peyote through their church. However, I do have a friend who leads ceremonies for the NAC and so far has not had any troubles. I would assume that the people that are getting busted have big names though.

Even though I'm in Australia and this doesn't specifically apply to me (if at all...no idea on these laws over here), I'm still totally down for becoming part of any group you lot come up with hahaha....presuming it's interesting and done right :p help get the numbers up for legal purposes hahahaha