Recruiting Legal Highs & Mood Survey, with findings from Phase 1 - University of East London

UELDrugResearch

Greenlighter
Hello all,

Some of you may remember me posting a research survey last summer and earlier this year concerning legal highs and anxiety. As phase 2 of the project with the University of East London, this new survey concerns characterising Novel Psychoactive Substance use (i.e. research chemicals, legal highs) such as synthetic cannabinoids and cathinones (mephedrone, etc.) in young people in relation to mood (primarily stress). We’re studying this through an anonymous and confidential questionnaire which should take about 20 minutes. The initial demographic and drug use questions are similar to the previous survey, however it differs in psychological measures.

Here's the survey:

http://surveys.uelconnect.org.uk/index.php/854657/lang-en[1][1]

The survey is primarily United Kingdom orientated, however other countries are welcome too. I had a great response last time, but there were many partially completed responses- please try and take the time to complete it fully! Phase 1 Brief Summary of Findings: For those of you that are interested in the outcome of our previous study, due to time constraints and the size of the data set, the data set is still in the process of being fully analysed. However, some preliminary analyses of the responses have been performed, providing a wealth of information on NPS user profiles.

Below is a brief summary of the analysis so far; for more detail please contact [email protected][2] or message this account for more information.

Psychedelic-like NPS (e.g. 2-AI, 25I-NBOMe, AL-LAD) and stimulant-like NPS (e.g. mephedrone, methiopropamine, ethylphenidate) were found to be the most used , with the majority stating a preference for psychedelic-like NPS. However, stimulant-like NPS were the most frequently used. Whilst no particular self-stated preferred NPS drug could be identified as influencing anxiety or social anxiety, higher levels of psychedelic-like NPS use were associated with higher levels of problematic drug use. Evidence was also found of higher levels of drug abuse and anxiety being associated with higher levels of past-year NPS usage.

The average NPS user’s anxiety, social anxiety and drug abuse levels were all highly elevated when compared to non-NPS users. This suggests NPS usage as a whole is potentially associated with increased anxiety, social anxiety and drug abuse issues- however, it is difficult to outline this as a direct cause, as many other factors (e.g. lifestyle, biological makeup, etc.) need to be considered.