• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Legal highs making the drug war obsolete

Unbreakable

Bluelighter
If you want any evidence that drugs have won the drug war, you just need to read the scientific studies on legal highs.

If you’re not keeping track of the ‘legal high’ scene it’s important to remember that the first examples, synthetic cannabinoids sold as ‘Spice’ and ‘K2′ incense, were only detected in 2009.

Shortly after amphetamine-a-like stimulant drugs, largely based on variations on pipradrol and the cathinones appeared, and now ketamine-like drugs such as methoxetamine have become widespread.

Since 1997, 150 new psychoactive substances were reported. Almost a third of those appeared in 2010.

Last year, the US government banned several of these drugs although the effect has been minimal as the legal high laboratories have over-run the trenches of the drug warriors.

A new study just published in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology tracked the chemical composition of legal highs as the bans were introduced.

A key question was whether the legal high firms would just try and use the same banned chemicals and sell them under a different name.

The research team found that since the ban only 4.9% of the products contained any trace of the recently banned drugs. The remaining 95.1% of products contained drugs not covered by the law.

The chemicals in legal highs have fundamentally changed since the 2011 ban and the labs have outrun the authorities in less than a year.

Another new study has looked at legal highs derived from pipradrol – a drug developed in 1940s for treating obesity, depression, ADHD and narcolepsy.

It was made illegal in made countries during the 70s due to its potential for abuse because it gives an amphetamine-like high.

The study found that legal high labs have just been running through variations of the banned drug using simple modifications of the original molecule to make new unregulated versions.

The following paragraph is from this study and even if you’re not a chemist, you can get an impression of how the drug is been tweaked in the most minor ways to create new legal versions.

Source: Interesting for sure :)
http://mindhacks.com/2012/05/19/legal-highs-making-the-drug-war-obselete/

as if the war on drugs were ever anything but ridiculous.

Nice article, though.

I disagree that the war on drugs is obsolete. We are still jamming people into prison at a rate seen only in Stalinist Russia... No, the war on drugs still does exactly what it was designed to do.

I disagree that the war on drugs is obsolete. We are still jamming people into prison at a rate seen only in Stalinist Russia... No, the war on drugs still does exactly what it was designed to do.

Absolutely.
If you believe the propaganda that the War On Drugs is about stopping people from using drugs, maybe it seems obsolete (though you are conveniently ignoring drugs like alcohol, tobacco, and chocolate).
But once you learn the truth about the War - that it is designed to protect the interests of the pharmaceutical, alcohol, tobacco, prison, and police industries - then you realize that it will never be "obsolete", but it is succeeding wildly. Legal highs might cut into profits slightly, but the War is still going strong.

It's always seemed to me that these clandestine chemists have symthed thousands of chemicals, but keep them stocked up and release one at a time to deflect legislation, and to keep customers coming back for "new" legal high.

Illegal drugs are a rarity for me these days.

I only mess with legal stimulants for the most part. It's great. Drugs in the mail or going to a headshop is so fucking convenient. Quality is better, easier to buy, less legal risk, less sketchy people.

At least for me in the past 2 or so years illegal drugs have been obsolete.

Man the title of this story/thread is my goddamn line. I've been saying that RCs have made the drug war obsolete for the well informed over the past decade.

The concept is that the war on drugs is obsolete from the point of view of drug USERS, not the authorities in control. If you have the time and inclination to taste test dozens of chemicals from the desired class (stimulant, psychedelic, opioid, whatever) you will find that nowadays there are superior, unscheduled alternatives to all the banned drugs. One just has to find their personal preference. Who cares about prohibition of the mainstream stuff when it's all more expensive with less desired effects and more side effects than novel RC alternatives.

This thread is hilariously without a point, anyone who keeps in touch with contemporary DHS dealings knows that the War on Drugs applies to "analog" substances as well.

The Federal Analog Act is a useless piece of legislation, and the DHS/DoJ is afraid to actually take cases to trial based on those charges. They will make arrests but they mostly scare people into pleading guilty. "Not for human consumption" disclaimers can negate any analog charges in court if taken to trial.