• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Legal Heroin: Is Virtual Reality Our Next Hard Drug

spini4

Bluelighter
So video games are addictive—this we know.

It comes down to dopamine, one of the brain’s basic signaling molecules. Emotionally, we feel dopamine as pleasure, engagement, excitement, creativity, and a desire to investigate and make meaning out of the world. It’s released whenever we take risks, or encounter novelty. From an evolutionary standpoint, it reinforces exploratory behavior.

More importantly, dopamine is a motivator. It’s released when we have the expectation of reward. And once this neurotransmitter becomes hardwired into a psychological reward loop, the desire to get more of that reward becomes the brain’s overarching preoccupation. Cocaine, widely considered the most addictive drug on the planet, does little more than flood the brain with dopamine and block its reuptake (sort of like SSRI’s block the reuptake of serotonin).

Video games are full of novelty, risk-taking, reward-anticipation, and exploratory behavior. They’re dopamine-production machines dressed up with joysticks and better graphics. And this is why video games are so addictive.

But this is only where things are today. There are a host of additional pleasure chemicals floating around our brains. Consider endorphins, the brain’s own version of opium. Or anandamide, which is essentially the brain’s natural version of marijuana. Or serotonin, which is calming and peaceful in low doses (Prozac) and, in higher does, the fuel behind both ecstasy and LSD.

Right now, we don’t know enough about manipulating this neurochemistry to routinely trick the brain into releasing this cascade of chemicals via video game—but that will change.

In my last blog, I wrote about the peak state of consciousness known as “flow,” where we feel our best and perform our best. To understand what’s coming with video games, it’s actually helpful to know a bit more about flow.

While there’s more work to be done, we now believe that during flow, the brain gets high on an extremely potent neurochemical cocktail, blending norepinephrine, dopamine, endorphins, anandamide and serotonin. To put this in street drug terms, flow produces a rapid hit of speed, heroin, ecstasy, marijuana, and cocaine. This is also why researchers consider “flow” the source code of intrinsic motivation or, in plainer language, seriously addictive.

We also know that video games can put players into low-grade flow states—but they’re really not much more than dopamine loops. Now, certainly, these loops are fun and addictive, but they’re nothing compared to what happens when we can marshal flow’s full complement of neurochemicals.

Pretty soon, we’ll have video games that trigger endorphins and anandamide and serotonin and dopamine and all the rest. This will happen because our neuro-imaging and sensing technologies are experiencing their own version of Moore’s Law and this will continue to enhance our understanding of how to control the brain’s internal chemistry. It will happen because we are starting to understand a great deal more about flow itself, and what triggers the state. And it will happen because our games are becoming more immersive, more virtual, more like reality.

Today, “serious gaming” using VR is how we train astronauts, military pilots, and, more and more, surgeons. Why? Because, the science shows, our brains respond to second hand stimulus (a virtual world) in ways that mirror first person experiences and—more importantly—the brain can be tricked/trained into deepening those responses (treating phantom limb pain with a simple mirror technique is a great example).

Read more at:http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenk...heroin-is-virtual-reality-our-next-hard-drug/

No just no this is the most ridiculous bs I've heard in a while...

I'm pretty sure I read this article in 1994.

This movie's pretty good:

You will not be taking away my PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, nor my gaming PC.

In fact, I was about to play Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on my PS4, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

^^ Junkie. ;)

(jk)

This article is mildly interesting. I doubt this is happening any time soon.

I am playing Halo online all night tonight. But since I read this article I'll do a warm up match. That way when me and my friends play I'm already in the groove. Sort of like jacking off before you go see your lady friend.

Christ almighty, "legal heroin?" There are some pretty stupid analogies in the drug media but they're rarely as inane as that.

Yeah, video games can be addictive, I've been addicted to video games. But it's not like I got friggin' withdrawals from them. 8) Let's point our microscope at Tobacco, Alcohol, and Caffeine first, shall we?

Pretty soon, we’ll have video games that trigger endorphins and anandamide and serotonin and dopamine and all the rest. This will happen because our neuro-imaging and sensing technologies are experiencing their own version of Moore’s Law and this will continue to enhance our understanding of how to control the brain’s internal chemistry. It will happen because we are starting to understand a great deal more about flow itself, and what triggers the state. And it will happen because our games are becoming more immersive, more virtual, more like reality.

Look here. This paragraph, separated from the rest of the article, really makes me look forward to the future. :)

eXistenZ is an awesome movie, classic David Cronenberg.

This exact idea is included in Chuck Palahniuk's book Rant. People have figured out how to record experiences off people's consciousness, and then play it in another person's head at another time. So you could "record" someone being high on heroin, then just buy that "experience" and load it into your own consciousness. (Plus that way you could experience it as your "first time" every time)

Love that film, too.

Who knows what the future holds for drugs? Technology is increasing at a rapid pace; I recently read a Vice article by some pretty off the wall scientist whose convinced there will be 3d printed drugs capable of customising the experience of drugs completely at the molecular level. I can only dream...

eXistenZ is an awesome movie, classic David Cronenberg.

This exact idea is included in Chuck Palahniuk's book Rant. People have figured out how to record experiences off people's consciousness, and then play it in another person's head at another time. So you could "record" someone being high on heroin, then just buy that "experience" and load it into your own consciousness. (Plus that way you could experience it as your "first time" every time)

/drool