• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Least Toxic, Most Effective, Most Concealable Alcohol?

Everyones bring up how they are potentially "less toxic", but what are we exactly saying?

Less toxic neurologically? Less hepatotoxicity?

I will go out on a limb here and say regardless of which alcohol youre ingesting, that long term it will still have quite the destructive effect on your liver. Please guys correct me if i'm wrong on this regarding any of these "different" alcohols.

What I can say with certainty though: liver cancer is no fun. In fact, liver damage long term is no fun. From personal experience with a family member, 9 times out of 10 it will not end well. Not everyone is lucky enough to get a new liver.

I'm not knowledgeable on any of these, aside from ethanol, so as I stated please feel free to correct my thoughts on the matter.

Less hepatotoxicity?

that was part of the idea. Ethanol is wickedly toxic to the liver because it's metabolized to acetaldehyde. Many of the candidates proposed here would not have an oxidative metabolite of similar toxicity.

I was hoping to see more reports which might narrow down these suggestions. And since the criteria for this thread seems based on biological, toxicological and legal properties, may I suggest not restricting it by chemical functional group? Methaqualone is one of the best alternatives to alcohol I've heard reported. I don't know that it is as toxic - probably not - its main problem is being illegal. But not much effort has been put into solving that problem. And it does stink that one of the world's favorite drugs is so destructive with no good alternative available, and I feel that way despite only drinking moderately a few times a month.

At least I can contribute one report relevant to this thread. I've always wanted to try chloral, but somehow never happening on any, and reading old reports of chlorobutanol being used in a similar capacity, I whipped up a small batch. This is one of the easiest things a person could make, so it seemed very promising. Besides, the product forms large white needles with a strong camphor-like smell, which is rather novel.

The first test of 500 mg dissolved in 10 mL of liquor was mild, pleasant and without any adverse effect.

The second test of 1.5 g in 10 mL of liquor was irritating to the throat for a long time, but came on in just five minutes to my surprise. Very nice and strong, not hard on the body like butanediol (which is worse than GHB for me), but I was surprised when the effects started decreasing as early as 30 minutes and were definitely reduced by one hour. This might have been useful except that by three hours I felt sleepier than I thought I would otherwise, so there seems to be some lingering effect though no toxicity.

Subsequent tests gave less intoxication from this amount and hangover effects of increasing severity which actually lasted longer than they would if caused by alcohol - but without the strong intoxication I might have enjoyed. After a total of six experiments over two months, testing a few dosage formulations, I gave up on this candidate.

Aside from the varied recommendations of alternative alcohols, I'd strongly suggest that seep eschew unsavory maintenance dosing in favor of cycling daily swigs of ethanol (or a comparable alcohol) and a drug of similar behavioral action to stave off the agony of tolerance-dependence-withdrawal. Hydroxybutyrate, phenibut, high-dose baclofen, or GBL would all be efficient alcoholic counterparts in such a regimen.

Sort of off-topic, yeah, but the notion of consciously committing (resigning?) oneself to alcoholism screams of potential self-harm.

I ws looking to update this wiki article but I can't find any good sources which talk about the potential for some alcohols to be safe. That page implies that the alcohol group itself is toxic, but afaik the majority of the toxicity comes from metabolites.

I ws looking to update this wiki article but I can't find any good sources which talk about the potential for some alcohols to be safe. That page implies that the alcohol group itself is toxic, but afaik the majority of the toxicity comes from metabolites.

Ethchlorvynol and one of the alkynes in this thread were used medicinally for decades, so there's that. Chloral hydrate (and therefore chlorbutanol) is still used. I think it's compelling that many of the toxic metabolites for ethanol & co. are arrived at by oxidation of the -OH group, and that such an oxidation is not possible for tertiary alcohols.

To a certain extent, the word TOXICITY is hopelessly enmeshed with the word INTOXICATION, which is the goal of a recreational alcohol user. So intoxication without toxicity is a paradox from that point of view.