• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids LD50 of Dihydrocodeine

Gaz_hmmmm

Bluelighter
The other night I was getting ready in a hurry and actually overdosed (Not hospital/dying type) on DHC.

I took 40, 30mg dihydrocodeine (1200mg) I had an anti-histamine then went to a pub with my mate and had some booze.

For the first time ever off of opioids my gums were itchy, my lips swelled and my mate and another friend who we met in the pub said it looked as if I'd had botox and collagen injections in my lips, they didn't hurt but they were really big compared to normal, I had no lines what so ever on my lips and my mam and sis' were actually jealous! :\

Luckily it went in the morning, but looking back I'm surprised I lived.:\

i took 28 tabs in one or two hours of 30mg, so thats 840mg , i was not an abuser but had a bottle of 100 tabs prescribed for my broken leg pain, and i kept necking handfuls to try and get the pain away. it kinda worked, but then followed the headache that comes with such doses. and then i was vomiting a lot but next day was fine. I weigh 75 Kg.
remember to calculate in your body weight when messing about with dangerous medicines.
that can make the difference between enjoyment and death.

and also if taken orally, the suppression of the peristaltic action will cause some recently swallowed doses to work slower than expected. (if you are taking continuously as opposed to taking one massive dose...)

Personal xp

I reguarly take 60(sixty) 30mg tabs of DHC and am ok. I do this twice daily sometimes,so don't go by the LD50(mice).........Makes for a nice buzzzzz

Loon

I Only ever went up to about 400 mg or so, once you pass that point you just feel uncomfortable and itch like fuck...nay fun.

^ I don't think there's a ceiling dose with DHC like with codeine, but I could be wrong.

The other night I was getting ready in a hurry and actually overdosed (Not hospital/dying type) on DHC.

I took 40, 30mg dihydrocodeine (1200mg) I had an anti-histamine then went to a pub with my mate and had some booze.

For the first time ever off of opioids my gums were itchy, my lips swelled and my mate and another friend who we met in the pub said it looked as if I'd had botox and collagen injections in my lips, they didn't hurt but they were really big compared to normal, I had no lines what so ever on my lips and my mam and sis' were actually jealous! :\

Luckily it went in the morning, but looking back I'm surprised I lived.:\

That's not an OD, that's just a massive release of histamines that your anti-histamine could not do anything for, except maybe reduce the pain. You aren't lucky you lived - histamine isn't going to kill you, though the pain (without an anti-histamine) a huge release like what you felt causes may make you feel like you're going to die.

I've taken 600mg of Codeine, without an anti-histamine, when I had a massive opiate tolerance and it did this exact same thing to me, except it hurt like a mother fucker. My whole face was red and swollen and so painfully itchy. There was no euphoria AT ALL. Just pure histamine induced itchy pain and swelling. (I might even have the picture I took of myself still, if I find it, I'll post it so you can see if it's the same thing that happened to you, though based on your description, it sounds like the exact same thing)

Your liver can only process so much - the rest just releases uncomfortable amounts of histamine. An anti-histamine will make it more comfortable, but it will not stop the swelling and discoloration.

Does Codeine have a ceilimg dose? What is that dose?

And were do DHC stand in the "strong" opioid list? Is it like Tramadol or ketomebidon/ketomebidone ?

Or maybe US doesn't have ketomebidon (Ketogan).. couldn't find it on rxlist.com

The celing dose is 400mg. But I have gone past that dose and still get added effects at higher dose's.

I have been taking DHC for 13 years now (for pain not just for fun) I can use 50-60 at a time if I want to get a little relaxed... I have never had any problems with the histamines, except my little morph itch which is usually on my feet and I sort of enjoy it...

Does Codeine have a ceilimg dose? What is that dose?

And were do DHC stand in the "strong" opioid list? Is it like Tramadol or ketomebidon/ketomebidone ?

Or maybe US doesn't have ketomebidon (Ketogan).. couldn't find it on rxlist.com

It's being disputed as to whether there is a ceiling dose with Codeine, or atleast that it's a much higher dose that first thought (400mg).
There's been people here who've taken over a gram and have experienced an increase in the high felt.. So it's all a bit unknown.

DHC is apparently 1.5 x stronger than Codeine. This relates to receptor affinity and analgesia rather than euphoria (I don't get any euphoria from DHC at all).

I caught a great buzz off DHC once at about 200 mg with very little ope tolerance. It was waaay different than codeine, in fact it was quite stimulating. I went to the shop for a beer & saw some blokes i kinda know, said hello, one of them made a comment as i walked away like "he's bang on it mate" which most likely meant they thought i was on coke!

Anyway last 2/3 times i tried it i didn't even feel the stuff. Personally i don't think its worth the trouble if you have a tolerance, i mean 40/60 30mg tabs, cmon guys that cannot b safe.

Constipation A-hoy too :D

Yea doppel - Some people find it has quite an Empathogenic feel to it, akin (but obviously different) to MDxx's :)
I wish I could feel anything from DHC. Even the first time I tried it when I was just using Codeine, I just felt a bit sedated. No euphoria or anything **Shrugs**

LD50 is like...they take 1000 rats, feed them the medicine until they die and not the lethal dose. The dose above which half or more of the population dies is called LD50. So it's the average of an average of an average.

The celing dose is 400mg. But I have gone past that dose and still get added effects at higher dose's.

Yeah me too. 600mg is my ceiling....proper ope hit, and the effects last longer.

Not good too often though...I usually take about 350/400mg. Thats nearly everyday, I'm addicted to it.

Beginner dose, 90/120mg.

I used to take 700mg Carisprodol (brand: soma) as a potentiator for the PURE 360mg DHC (dihydrocodeine) *no caffeine, no ephedrine, no additional active ingredities etc.) nearly daily for 6 months (November - April). I realized that it was gnawing away at my spirit and my non-chalance was affecting my personal relationships and friendships. I didn't like what I was becoming, so I Stopped cold turkey 4 months ago, but the following 2.5 weeks of withdrawl systems hurt like hell. Stomach cramps, headaches, pain all over. I can only imagine what the Big H withdrawl was feel like since I had it easy I a supppose. By the time i ordered "Catapres" and "Ondansentron" from overseas pharmacy to subdue the withdrawl, I was already done suffering. lol.

If you are going to kick your opiate habit, first get a hold of "Catapres (Clonidine tablets)" and "Ondanseton." Doctor recommends. (seriously)

Last edited:
Rasta

OP took a gram of DHC, n

last [post-}
Carispidol muscle relaxers make me fall asleep after 300 / 600 mgs

Last edited:
Like sixpartseven said, your symptoms don't really add up to overdose. If it were an OD be you'd be nodding out, shallow breathing, stupor, unconscious, immensely pinpoint pupils etc. You had a histamine reaction, which antihistamines CAN help. The key with preventing (or at least minimizing) histamine reactions with any opiod is to take the antihistamine an hour or so BEFORE you dose the drug. The antihistamine needs to be in full effect before the opioid kicks in...if you wait until you start feeling itchy and flushed and then take an antihistamine, it's not going to help nearly as much.

I've found Zyrtec to be very helpful in preventing opioid induced histamine release. Obviously diphenhydramine or hydroxyzine are more potent antihistamines and will work better, but to avoid the synergistic drowsiness, Zyrtec is the way to go as it very minimally crosses the BBB. And as a side note, Zyrtec (cetirizine) is a metabolite of hydroxizine

Though, if you want that opiate/diphenhydramine type nod...not a bad option either if that's your type of thing.

Hi folks. Broke my wrist a few week ago and was giving the above tablets. Was taking 3 at a time for the pain but now not working. If I took 4 is there a chance of a overdose ?

I got a operation and screw put in so pain is always there but not sure about tablets now can someone with experience taking these let me know?

Takin about 90 mg at lunch time and same again about 8 or 9 at night but like I said pain is not for moving now