Law School?

Killer B A R B i E

Bluelighter
I know for a fact that I want to go into a profession somehow dealing with the law. Maybe something dealing with juveniles.. or shit I don't know really. I would love to be a lawyer, but I just don't think law school is right for me. What else could I do? Is there a website that could help me choose my profession, and tell me what I need to major in? I'm so confused with school and stuff right now, and I really don't know what to do. All I know is that I wanna go into law or criminal justice or something.

Someone help me get my head on strait please... =D thank u

If you're in high school still, there are numerous tests you can take that measure your likes and dislikes and then point you to an area you might enjoy. These things aren't very scientific, mind you. Talk with your school counselor if you're in high school or meet with your advisor if you are in college. When it comes to law school, there is no required major. Many major in political science or philosophy, for example. Check out http://www.lsac.org for some good links and info. This isn't really a legal question per se, but I'll leave it open here for a few of our other lawyer types to offer up some advice.

Thank you for not closing this thread. :)

I'm in college. I think I've decided to major in Correctional & Juvenile Justice Studies... :) I can be a parole officer or somethin' like that.

You can close this thread now. lol I've figured it out myself.

KaNdEbUtTaHfLy said:
see a guidance counselor to go over your options with you.

I swear to you.. I've done that a million times, and for some reason we just don't see eye to eye on anything. I always end up just giving up even holding a conversation with them and leave.

Do you really see being a probation or parole officer as an enjoyable career. All the ones I've met seem pretty miserable. Do you have any interests in crime scene investigating?

It has been my experience that guidance counselors are not definitively helpful in directing your career path.

There are numerous child advocay groups that represent the interests of juveniles in the system.

I would suggest calling the clerk of the juvenile court in your area, they are always very helpful.

I've spent most of the past four years working for law firms and my experience at work has been instrumental in my decision to become an attorney. I'd highly recommend you get a part-time job at a law firm. Even if you decide being an attorney is not for you, the contacts you will make and the variety of people and situations you will encounter will serve you very well, whatever profession you choose. Paralegals make very good money and are not just glorified secretaries- they're professionals in their own right and attorneys rely on them greatly.

Good luck and study hard. :)