Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

bit_pattern

Ex-Bluelighter
Quite entertaining.

I like John Oliver a lot more when he isn't trying to be Jon Stewart. This is more reminiscent of this Bugle podcast, with the awesome Daily Show style interviews.

I give him a good 8 1/2 out of 10. Definitely going onto my regular rotation.

I finally saw the premier. It exceeded my expectations, which were fairly high. Of course, the people behind the show had more time than they'll have until their next hiatus to plan for this first one, but Oliver was consistently good when covering for Stewart on The Daily Show so I imagine the average show will still be pretty solid. I love the idea of people printing out the stickers below and putting them on cereal boxes in stores they visit. It's an effective way of calling embarrassing attention to the ways the targeted companies make fraudulent claims about their products while also being a pretty funny consumer activist prank.

10313595_497065000422514_7356349776332990762_n.jpg

^ that was funny years ago when it was called "actual items" on conan

:)

alasdair

^ that was funny years ago when it was called "actual items" on conan

:)

alasdair
I think that actual company claims are being satirized for strong actual reasons and that the audience is enabled to make Oliver's "actual items" actually appear in supermarkets sets his take on it comfortably apart. Thanks for the reminder of that Conan feature, though. Following the links that popped up in an Images search for it led to this thread, which must cover every item that ever appeared on Late Night.

ai_2236_15.jpg

Last edited:
drifting further off topic but so many of those make me literally laugh out loud.

alasdair