• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Last hours

maggells

Bluelighter
Last hours (musings of a hospice nurse)

I arrive to see everyone gathered around her bed against the far wall in the living room of the small suburban family home. The house is warm and well lit, a welcome reprieve from the February chill outside. Family, friends, even the neighbors from across the street, all there to say goodbyes and commiserate through their love and grief.

She looks so small in the single bed. Her cheeks are sunken, jaw slack, skin waxy and greying. I take her cool hand in both of mine and tell her I'm here and that everything is alright. If she can hear me there is no noticeable response. We are told hearing is the last sense to leave us so I talk to her regardless.

She is dying. Her heart has finally reached the end of its ability to sustain life after a long time fighting and has begun the process of shutting down her organs and higher brain functions until it ceases beating altogether. Her breathing, that I can barely detect through the rise and fall of her chest beneath the blankets, has already started to falter, the pauses called apnea are long and frequent and when I take out my stethoscope and listen to her chest her heart beat is too faint for me to hardly hear. I know through experience she does not have much time left.

When I pull her daughter aside and share my findings she does not cry yet, stoic and strong until she can grieve in private later. She takes in each bit of information quickly, handing me a small tablet to write out new directions for the few comfort medications her mother is receiving and watching carefully as I demonstrate how to administer each. The familiar blue of the liquid morphine transfixes me momentarily as I fill the syringe carefully. She will get it every few hours now to keep her out of pain as she continues to pass.

Her brother is calling from out of state. He is on his way but still has many hours to go and I know instinctively he will not make it in time. I hold the phone to her ear, pushing back my own emotions as he cries and begs her to hold on, tells her that he loves her and he'll be there soon. This is the last time he will speak to his sister while she is alive.

I stay for awhile answering questions from many loved ones and passing around tissues and hugs, keeping a close eye on the small figure huddled in the bed. I am hesitant to leave as I know in my gut this will be the last time I will ever be here. I have cared for her for many years and no matter how many times I go through this it is still difficult to let them go.

Soaking in my last images of this home and these people, I approach the bed one last time. Laying my hand over her heart I kiss her head and whisper "safe journey". I offer my regards briefly to everyone else before heading back out into the cold winter air, the sky dark and foreboding above me.

An hour later she is gone.

Last edited:
haunting. Its good that she was able to die at home though. I had a terminally ill family member who ended up dying an unnecessarily ugly death in the hospital. Seeing that made a lasting impression on me. When my time is coming to an end I will not stay in a gloomy hospital hoping for a miracle. Send me home with the good opiates and let me go in peace.

Also, good read

haunting. Its good that she was able to die at home though. I had a terminally ill family member who ended up dying an unnecessarily ugly death in the hospital. Seeing that made a lasting impression on me. When my time is coming to an end I will not stay in a gloomy hospital hoping for a miracle. Send me home with the good opiates and let me go in peace.

Seconded

maggells...Thank you for your beautifully written words. Thank you for your compassion as a nurse to those who so desperately need it. I am transported to that very place with you, as I have witnessed the deaths of so many in my life.

My mom will be 90 in May. She's been in a nursing home since 2005, when she had hip replacement. It's been one hell of a ride with her, as she has ALWAYS been evil and abusive (not just in old age). Anyone who knows her jokes that "when they made her, they broke the mold and beat the hell out of the mold maker!"

Though she has inflicted tremendous pain upon me, I still go down to the facility and tuck her in at night. Some nights I need riot gear. Other nights, she doesn't recognize me, and cries for her own mother and father (long since gone). I don't want to ever look back in regret for my inaction, so I do everything I can to see that she is taken care of. I am extremely unwell myself, but unlike my siblings, I make no excuses. I just said to my brother in Houston (yesterday) who hasn't been home in 2 years..."Cat's in the Cradle"...The song says it all.

She basically died (again) on Thanksgiving Day 2015. She was revived at the ER and hospitalized for 13 days, although she has a DNR. I find myself wishing she had been allowed to leave this time. She wasn't, though she should have been. Her dementia is advanced now beyond the point of communication. She suffered total blindness in her left eye. She is now confined to her bed.

Again, THANK YOU for sharing your words and feelings. They are heartfelt.

DixiChik

Thanks everyone. It's been my privilege over the last decade to care for countless individuals at the ends of their lives. I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Helping someone face death with dignity and without pain has been truly rewarding for me. When my time is up I hope to pass peacefully at home with hospice.