• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Large chunk of Canada’s narcotics lost to thieves

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Large chunk of Canada’s narcotics lost to thieves brandishing guns, knives and home-made flame throwers
Tom Blackwell
National Post
January 19th, 2014

Brandishing weapons ranging from guns and knives to home-made flame throwers, criminals continue to siphon away a large chunk of the nation’s powerful narcotic painkillers, Health Canada figures indicate.

Hundreds of thousands of units of oxycodone, morphine and other “opioids” are still being robbed, pilfered or otherwise lost from the pharmacy supply chain, despite some recent improvements, the statistics reveal.

The numbers suggest theft and other losses from those business continue to be a significant source of the country’s rampant prescription drug-abuse problem — and the thriving street trade that helps fuel it.

Loss of such narcotics from pharmacies has decreased in the last two years, after a sharp spike in 2011, the numbers suggest. But that may be just a temporary dip in what remains for the profession a “major problem,” said Allan Malek, a senior vice president with the Ontario Pharmacists’ Association.

“It’s sad to say that most pharmacists have come to accept this as an occupational hazard,” he said. “As a gatekeeper for medication, they know there is always a risk … that at one point they’re going to be looking down the barrel of a gun or at the point of a knife.”

Read the full story here.

What they don't have the statistics for is how many of these drugs get on to the street with the help of corrupt pharmacists...

Pharmacy robbers usually get lionized as heroes on this forum. My opinion: fuck all armed robbers. I don't care if you're in the throes of a legendary withdrawal. Never never brutalize an innocent human being.

We like to claim the moral high ground when we argue for drug policy reform. It's very hard to do that when we routinely sing the praises of armed robbers.

^Agreed. If you have a way to steal Rx so that NO ONE gets hurt (including patients) then more power to you, but sticking a gun in the face of pharmacist is no better than robbing a bank to pay a crooked doctor.

@OP, are there really that many crooked pharmacists? Like, they're "losing" pills? Wouldn't that be quickly noticed? (and don't they have the automatic pill counters?)

@OP, are there really that many crooked pharmacists? Like, they're "losing" pills? Wouldn't that be quickly noticed? (and don't they have the automatic pill counters?)

I actually have no idea, but I've always wondered. I imagine it would be pretty easy if you owned your own pharmacy.

I actually have no idea, but I've always wondered. I imagine it would be pretty easy if you owned your own pharmacy.

Nope, not that easy. Prescription monitoring program. Regular count checks. You don't want to have to reconcile what happened to missing drugs.

Nope, not that easy. Prescription monitoring program. Regular count checks. You don't want to have to reconcile what happened to missing drugs.

But if the meds go 'missing' between the truck and your store it'd be much easier to shift the blame away from yourself.

This is what happens when you make criminals out of addicts. If there was legal cheap accessible drugs to be bought there would be no need for all this crime.

That being said some may take it upon them selves to try and rob anyways. They are criminals not recreational drug users.
also fuck any one committing armed robbery!

Take all this sketchy shit out of it and allow people access to the substances they would like to ingest.

Especially opiates marijuana and psychedelics! Lol

Pharmacy robbers usually get lionized as heroes on this forum. My opinion: fuck all armed robbers. I don't care if you're in the throes of a legendary withdrawal. Never never brutalize an innocent human being.

We like to claim the moral high ground when we argue for drug policy reform. It's very hard to do that when we routinely sing the praises of armed robbers.

No shit. My wife was running a McDonald's when she was in college, it was about 11 o'clock at night when some fat hmong guy walked in wearing a ski mask and waving a pistol around. He locked them all in a room in back and took my wife to the safe to get him the money. She could barely sleep for weeks. Then the trial came and she had to relive it all over again, facing the guy every day. She barely slept for a month after that. I felt so bad for her, she was crying so much while the moron defense attorney criticized her ability to remember and made her feel like a racist for the way she identified him as a hmong (how could you tell he was hmong, he had a ski mask on, as you said, and the video shows? He had, you know, the slanty eyes, and the accent, the skin color..). She was taking ativan for a while after that.

I just wish I would have been there. The gun turned out to be a bb gun. There's no way I wouldn't have noticed that the barrel was only .17 inch in diameter. I know my guns and that would have stuck out. Maybe in the moment I might have mistook it for a .22, but I think I would have realized that his gun was probably useless, certainly against a group of people. Actually, if it would have happened today concealed carry is legal and if I need to ever use my gun, I'd like it to be that fat fuck on the receiving end.

The one I found shocking was when the one guy walked in and killed 4 people without saying a word, then he grabbed what he was after and left.

I'm sure many of you remember that, wasn't too long ago.

Not one word.... just pop pop pop pop IIRC.

This is what happens when you make criminals out of addicts. If there was legal cheap accessible drugs to be bought there would be no need for all this crime.

That being said some may take it upon them selves to try and rob anyways. They are criminals not recreational drug users.
also fuck any one committing armed robbery!

This is true and I also agree that no matter how sick you are you should never harm someone else in order to get what you need. That being said, your comment about these are criminals not recreational drug users...well think of it like this. Many of the recreational drug users who then become dependent on say, opiates/opioids..there are ones who have never committed any type of crime prior to using drugs. Then some become so called "criminals" out of desperation to obtain the means to get the drugs that they need to keep from being sick. I guess there is a potential for any recreational drug user to become a "criminal" at some point.

hang on I posted this the other day

no beat me to it by one day

Brandishing weapons ranging from guns and knives to home-made flame throwers, criminals continue to siphon away a large chunk of the nation’s powerful narcotic painkillers, Health Canada figures indicate.

Hundreds of thousands of units of oxycodone, morphine and other “opioids” are still being robbed, pilfered or otherwise lost from the pharmacy supply chain, despite some recent improvements, the statistics reveal.

The numbers suggest theft and other losses from those business continue to be a significant source of the country’s rampant prescription drug-abuse problem — and the thriving street trade that helps fuel it.

Pharmacists have come to accept this as an occupational hazard
Loss of such narcotics from pharmacies has decreased in the last two years, after a sharp spike in 2011, the numbers suggest. But that may be just a temporary dip in what remains for the profession a “major problem,” said Allan Malek, a senior vice president with the Ontario Pharmacists’ Association.

“It’s sad to say that most pharmacists have come to accept this as an occupational hazard,” he said. “As a gatekeeper for medication, they know there is always a risk … that at one point they’re going to be looking down the barrel of a gun or at the point of a knife.”

The criminals who hold up pharmacies seeking opioid drugs have resorted to increasingly unusual weapons, added Mr. Malek, including lighter-aerosol-can combinations that can be turned into instant “flame throwers” to, in one case, simply dousing a pharmacist with gasoline and threatening to set the druggist alight.

“That’s all it took,” he said. “The strategies that are being applied, there’s no end to them.”

Pharmacies, distributors and wholesalers are required to report to Health Canada any thefts, robberies, pilfering by employees, losses in transit, “unexplained” losses and other disappearances of so-called controlled substances — prescription drugs with a potential for abuse and harm.

Attention has focused on opioid painkillers in recent years, as increased prescribing has made Canada second only to the U.S. in per capita consumption of the potent medications.

The rate of addiction and overdose deaths has mounted at the same time, both among Canadians prescribed the drugs by a doctor and those who buy them on the street. As many Ontario residents die now from the drugs as are killed in auto accidents, coroner’s office statistics suggest.

The Health Canada loss figures are a reminder the street supply does not just originate from people who sell what is prescribed to them personally, said Benedikt Fischer, a drug-abuse expert at Vancouver’s Simon Fraser University.

“There shouldn’t really be any losses from pharmacies or suppliers or producers,” he said. “Robberies or thefts are sometimes difficult to prevent, but that’s the responsibility of the people who carry these drugs or produce or supply them.”

In fact, professional associations do offer advice to pharmacists on how to curb robberies and theft, said Mr. Malek.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01...Top+Stories)

Why don't they put the pharmacist in a bulletproof plexiglass booth? The gas station has them and they reduce robbery attempts.

Why don't they put the pharmacist in a bulletproof plexiglass booth? The gas station has them and they reduce robbery attempts.

Because the pharmacist has to interact wit and occassionally examine patients?

How about metal detectors? Maybe not a good idea considering the average health of pharmacy clientele - particularly anyone with a pacemaker.

On the topic of corrupt pharmacists...

Prescription Drug Possession Investigation Involving Pharmacist
Alberta Police Report
February 13th, 2014

Innisfail, Alberta – The Innisfail RCMP Detachment has entered into an investigation presented from the local Shopper’s drug mart. Internal Security personal had previously identified irregular practices performed by a lone female pharmacist. The practices involved the theft of narcotics, as well as, the creation of false entries into the computer in order to fill nonexistent prescriptions.

Some of these illegal activities have been connected to the Red Deer Shopper’s Drug Mart as well. The Pharmacist in question had been employed at the Innisfail Shopper’s Drug Mart for over two years with the RCMP Detachment identifying criminal activity over the last year and a half of that time frame. Yesterday, the Pharmacist was taken into custody after being confronted by her employer and fired. Charges are being pursued for Fraud and illegal possession of a narcotic at this time. However, the investigation continues and in consultation with the Crown additional charges are expected. The suspect cannot be identified at this time without the charges being confirmed in their entirety.

Read the full story here.