• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

L-Trypophan vs 5-HTP for Recovery and/or in General

whiteroom67

Bluelighter
In general... I'm looking for a discussion here... not even necessary specific to MDMA/MDA recovery...

When is it better to use L-Tryptophan and when is it better to use 5-HTP? Just in general...

I can personally say under normal conditions and circumstances... I have felt MUCH more of an effect from L-Tryptophan when taken with B-6 and sugary fruit juice w/ Vit C.... than I ever have when taking 5-HTP with anything under the same circumstances... why is this?

Yet I have also heard for MDMA/MDA recovery, 5-HTP is better because those substances block the enzyme that converts L-Tryptophan ---> 5-HTP.

So, which one is better in general under normal circumstances (for me personally, it would certainly seem that L-Tryptophan is), and which one is better for MDMA/MDA recovery (haven't personally tried either L-tryptophan or 5-htp specifically for recovery yet from either of these), and why?

Last edited:
My understanding is that for recovery, you must use 5htp. The reason is that the enzyme that converts l-tryptophan to serotonin is destroyed by MDMA, and takes roughly two weeks to recover. Since 5htp converts to serotonin without this enzyme, then you can replenish your serotonin levels with it for the first couple of weeks. After two weeks, l-tryptophan can be used again.

My understanding is that for recovery, you must use 5htp. The reason is that the enzyme that converts l-tryptophan to serotonin is destroyed by MDMA, and takes roughly two weeks to recover. Since 5htp converts to serotonin without this enzyme, then you can replenish your serotonin levels with it for the first couple of weeks. After two weeks, l-tryptophan can be used again.

Yes. Also don't forget that L-tryptophan is readily available in food sources. So there's no need to go buying it as a supplement, just eat a balanced diet.