Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

L-Theanine and LSD/Shrooms

Zalo

Bluelighter
Hey BlueLight,

I'm wondering if l-theanine has any effect on the overall trip on LSD or shrooms. I'm simply hoping for a more calm trip by using l-theanine.

Thanks.

This may be interesting, although I doubt there will be any profound synergy, if any at all.

l-theanine has a very mild effect for most people who try it IME, but I have taken it with a number of things and none of them have interacted very profoundly. One time I took l-theanine, ginkgo biloba, choline bitartrate, noopept, and 1/3 of a gram of mushroom shake. they all synergized in an incredibly anxiolytic way, also that is the smallest dose of mushrooms I ever felt.

l-theanine will probably make the trip a bit calmer, and that's about it.

Man, i could go on forever about L-theanine seriously. Defintely calmer, but it also boosts dopamine pretty damn heavily.

I guess a lot of companies are looking into putting it into copyright ingredients like sprite and coca cola and shit.

I'm surprised theanine isn't used more often in soft drinks and other such things. It seems to be the downer version of caffeine, a mild well-tolerated relaxant with comparatively few side effects. I've taken truly absurd amounts of theanine and it's more than capable of producing a nice benzoesque buzz but I find it's best used in small doses as a mood stabilizer. In terms of using it as an adjunct to psychedelics I think it's a wonderful idea. It would squash a lot of the anxiety that can manifest on a psychedelic comeup but I doubt it would mute the trip as much as benzos or similar drugs. That being said l-theanine is pretty mild at standard dosages so don't expect a huge difference.

yes L-Theanine successfully produces an exact replica of a benzodiazapene mind state....I found that it also prevents caffeine form WORKING AT ALL! Its really weird but it makes caffeine completely ineffective for three hours or so....I mean really strong coffee simply doesn't work. I have also noticed in me that tolerance develops really really fast unfortunately.

I havnt taken huge doses of theanine but if it dose response works in the same way as a real benzo does then I would imagine that it would work very well as an anxiety reducer. I was just thinking about this the other day....good question.

just recently discovered l-theanine... stuff has been a godsend for my bouts with ptsd and anxiety. I take it regularly, haven't ever specifically used it with a psychedelic, but if you have trouble with excess stimulation, anxiety or sleeping after, l-theanine should be really helpful.

al-laddin, I heard that l-theanine and caffeine have synergy, so I find it interesting that you don't feel the caffeine.

I'll be getting my hands on l-theanine soon and I'll be testing it out relatively soon with psychedelics.

To corroborate al-laddin's statements, I've had great success mixing l-theanine with coffee. The mild sedative effects of l-theanine eliminate most of the unwanted side-effects of caffeine. I find myself able to drink more than my comfortable dose of caffeine and experience none of the jitters and anxiety I would normally have.
I find caffeine and l-theanine to be an amazing nootropic: this combination has become my preferred combination when I'm looking for clean stimulation for reading or writing.

its weird, but I used to have a really highly respected brand of suntheanine...it was very effective in that it sedated me but I drink caffeine for the rush and stopped taking suntehanine in the morning because it made caffeine completely ineffective. I experimented quite a bit to see if I could make it work for me somehow but I wasn't able to. I believe this is why (for me anyway) green tea gives me no energy as its higher in theanine than black.

One thing it did do for me though is give me a "stoned" mind. I was able to focus intently on one thing but unable to switch fous rapidly, which is what I like about caffiene

L-theanine is great for adding a little bit of calm to a trip, but it takes about 3 hours to fully peak unless I'm mistaken. So it's mostly realistic to be prepared to calm down your trip a bit and not to counter an anxiety reaction that may unexpectedly happen. It tends to be too mild and subtle for that anyway and IMO it is a different kind of non-sedating calm that theanine is able to provide.

I think brand name theanine or any theanine capsule products for that matter are way overpriced. I use much cheaper bulk powder and am very very satisfied especially saving that money. The same is true for a lot of other capsuled or pill-packed compounds of course, although with some the matter is a little more complex. CoQ10 doesn't absorb well as powder, by the way I believe DXM (HBr / HCl) powder doesn't really either. So for those other absorption factors have to be taken into account, which usually requires a solvent agent. So, even that can be solved (no pun intended).

Last edited:
I've never taken the over the counter L-Theanine supplement; but you will get L-Theanine if you drink tea. I usually drink green tea in the evening before bed since it relaxes me, and I can sleep easier. I've probably had green tea while on a psychedelic; but it did not put me to sleep. I found that when I was using it did go really well with cannabis.

low-res-infrographic.png
i usually take l-theanine with caffeine to counteract the jitters and restlesness i get, and it does work for me you wil get a clear mind. however i am talking about coffee here not hardcore schrooms 8o.

Last edited:
Found something?

al-laddin, I heard that l-theanine and caffeine have synergy, so I find it interesting that you don't feel the caffeine.

I'll be getting my hands on l-theanine soon and I'll be testing it out relatively soon with psychedelics.

Did you found something Zalo ?

A study found that caffeine and theanine together enhance cognitive performance on a test a little (~3%) in a way that they don't do separately, and this was confirmed by patterns in brainwaves. The idea is that theanine may limit some overstimulation / overexcitability / jitters that translate to making mistakes, which I kind of interpret as: caffeine may improve general activity (make you work harder), but not performance (doesn't make you work better), unless you help the jitters like with theanine, then the higher activity does lead to better results.
They measure that very generally I suppose, with a test showing something on a screen which you have to perform some task on and get as many hits over time as you can. You can ask yourself whether that always translates to writing a 'better' essay given unlimited time.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/8/1572S.long