• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction L-Theanine, a better alternative to Gabapentin and Pregabalin?

ErgicMergic

Bluelighter
Compare the structures of L-Theanine, Gabapentin, and Pregabalin, and you will see that they are quite similar.

L-Theanine works in a similar way to increase levels of GABA in the brain by acting as a sort of precursor, from what I understand. I've also read on these boards that they prevent the breakdown of GABA already floating around in your synapses.

In my opinion, doses higher than 600mg a day of Gabapentin cause severe cognitive impairment, much worse than benzos do relative to their anxiolytic potential.

Another benefit to L-Theanine is that it is a nootropic, unlike gabapentin, which causes cognitive impairment so badly that it is dubbed "morontin." It is less potent, so it would be effective mainly in those taking low-medium doses of Gabapentin and Pregabalin.

Does anyone else think that L-Theanine is a better alternative to Gabapentin and Pregabalin?

It's a bit like apples and oranges; hard to compare.

I've used both pregabalin and L-Theanine extensively and both have their place. Pregabalin is however much, much more powerful and indeed it makes me feel retarded on high doses. I used 600 mg pregabalin/day a couple of years ago and I felt like my brain was working at 50% capacity, my short term memory was so poor it was hard being at work. But it was extremely effective for anxiety.

L-Theanine is much milder, although high doses (1g+) can have a heavily sedative effect and helps with sleep. The thing with L-Theanine though is that it also increases your levels of dopamine; hence the nootropic effect. But you have to find your own dose, some require only 100 mg, some 1 gram, to have any benefit from it.

I'm atm going through benzo withdrawal and I have no help from L-Theanine, however pregabalin is extremely effective for the WD symptoms. In this regard I don't think L-Theanine is "better", but it's nonetheless the amino acid I found to be the most useful. And it crosses the blood-brain barrier, increasing GABA levels in the brain unlike ordinary GABA supplements that don't cross the blood-brain barrier.

Last edited:
Compare the structures of L-Theanine, Gabapentin, and Pregabalin, and you will see that they are quite similar.

L-Theanine works in a similar way to increase levels of GABA in the brain by acting as a sort of precursor, from what I understand. I've also read on these boards that they prevent the breakdown of GABA already floating around in your synapses.

In my opinion, doses higher than 600mg a day of Gabapentin cause severe cognitive impairment, much worse than benzos do relative to their anxiolytic potential.

Another benefit to L-Theanine is that it is a nootropic, unlike gabapentin, which causes cognitive impairment so badly that it is dubbed "morontin." It is less potent, so it would be effective mainly in those taking low-medium doses of Gabapentin and Pregabalin.

Does anyone else think that L-Theanine is a better alternative to Gabapentin and Pregabalin?

The reason why Gabapentin turns people in morontons is because it depletes the amino acid acetyl l carnitine - which enhances memory. They also suffer from depression which ALC can relieve. ALC is best when taken with alpha lipoic acid because they work at 100-1000 lower concentrations when combined. Both ALC and ALA are effective in slowing alzheimer's disease (and Parkinson's too.)

The reason why Gabapentin turns people in morontons is because it depletes the amino acid acetyl l carnitine - which enhances memory. They also suffer from depression which ALC can relieve. ALC is best when taken with alpha lipoic acid because they work at 100-1000 lower concentrations when combined. Both ALC and ALA are effective in slowing alzheimer's disease (and Parkinson's too.)

Interesting, but do you have any clinical data showing gabapentin depletes ALC or were we just supposed to take your word for it?