• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

L-Phenylalanine and Olanzapine (neuroleptic)?

NoLiver

Bluelighter
Does it make sence to take L-Phenylalanine as a supplement to weaken side-effects of medications like Olanzapine such as lack of motivation, indifference and concentration weakness? :|

Olanzapine is a relatively weak dopamine-receptor-antagonist compared with it's 5-HT affinity but one can still feel it. I think it's a lack of dopamine because amphetamine works against these symptoms.

Will there be more endogenous dopamine to displace Ola from the receptors, when L-PA is taken?

How long does it take and what to ingest additionally to improve effects, if there are some?

Or are there other suggestions to weaken the described, except reducing (what's in progress, but needs much patience :\).

It probably won't help. Even if you can somehow bypass the normal regulation of dopamine biosynthesis, the drug you are taking blocks dopamine receptors. That is the point of taking it.

Amphetamine increases alertness due to effects on dopamine, but also because it releases norepinephrine -- the latter effects mediate most of the perceived stimulant effects. Drugs that work exclusively on dopamine are reinforcing and do produce stimulant effects, but are not anywhere as stimulating as mixed (indirect) NE/DA agonists. A good example is amfonelic acid, which is a selective DAT inhibitor. People tend to get into trouble with amfonelic acid because it produces many of the negative effects of stimulants (sensitization, tendancy to compulsive use, stimulant psychosis) without producing a lot of subjective physical stimulation.

So it isn't suprising that amphetamine can produce an effect in the presence of olanzapine. But that doesn't mean it is overcoming dopamine receptor blockade.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this myself. I'm scripted zyprexa (olanzapine) and I HAVE to take it or I can't sleep. But it robs me of mental acuity I think.