• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Kratom withdrawal

milkonie

Bluelighter
Hey friends

I was abusing lyrica, and taking kratom. Lyrica in high doses (1000mg/day, sometimes less sometimes more) and kinda sporadic use over 3 months.

I stopped and didn't know what I was in wd from, thought it was the kratom because I'm not new to lyrica.

Anyway, I stayed on kratom, and experienced the most brutal month long withdrawal from lyrica..never been through that before.

Now I haven't gone back to lyrica, terrified really, it now I want to get off the kratom .

I've been taking now about 15 g a day ..that's been titrating up over the two months.

I had 12 hour gap in between doses last night...I woke up feeling a bit shit but tried to delay the first dose.

Anyway, I know this may sound stupid .. but because kratom wd isn't long, I was going to get Gabapentin for a few days ..

Is this really dumb? Should I just get to cold turkey? I don't want to get those terrible withdrawals from the gaba and it will probably happen because I feel like every time is worse.

I want to get off kratom and have a busy week of moving and work. Every day I'm on it I know it's getting worse, I want to get off it now.

Any help would be amazing

It's not a dumb idea, but it could potentially exacerbate your GABA receptors, or trigger you into relapse.

Personally I question just how much gabapentin would help kratom withdrawal anyways.

How long have you been taking the kratom? 2 months?

Hey thanks for the reply..

Yeah about 2 months maybe a bit more..
I was taking that, lyrica (heavy) and meth benders with Xanax etc..

I did the lyrica withdrawal first...it was fkn brutal . Month of very bad withdrawal, depression, panic, paranoia etc.

Stayed on kratom.

With kratom....I kinda hate it..

It makes me lazy...I just want to sit on the couch and watch YouTube for hours...but I start getting uncomfortable 4 hours after last dose..

At the same time I just feel shit all the time... unmotivated, bit sick, weaker in the gym .

I've started the Gabapentin anyway...staggered doses... no more kratom. See how I go..

When I wake up tomorrow Ill keep on the gaba for 2 more days or so.

Will check in here ..

Thanks for your reply 🙏

Well it's been about 14 hours since last dose. Normally have withdrawals after 4 hours. Had a pretty good sleep except for some very weird nightmares.

Have been stagger dosing the gaba.

I feel ok. Not craving kratom. I guess the gaba is doing it's thing. No more than 2-3 days on this stuff...seems like a godsend for withdrawal but addiction to Gabapentinoids, for me at least, is a nightmare that gives a horrible withdrawal. And every withdrawal I've been through over the years has been longer and more brutal (kindling)

I just want to be free at this stage

depression, panic, paranoia etc.
I don't take gabapentinoid WDs well, either. Deep hole.... For me.
If ya really wanna give it all up knock em down one at a time. Just opinion.
Seems you are on the right path and mindset... so doable, IME.
Your kratom usage isn't skynomical so shouldnt be too hard when we get to that. no?
Promising and inspiring, IMO.
Best with it all,
J

Hey thanks for reply

I made it past the first 24 hours easy.. Then last night I woke up with the restless legs..here we go. For me it's the worst symptom..

I had some gaba and waited, tossed n turned. Eventually fell asleep again..

Have to move today. I feel fine but I'm outta gaba...I'll get some more, maybe take it today and after that only tomorrow night for the legs..

I gotta embrace the suck a bit..I'll keep updating for a few days🤙

Ok update ....

Today is day 4 no kratom.

I did the stagger dosing of gabapentin...I realise I've never felt so good in my life. For these days in a row. This is not really a good thing .

I probably over did it...taking 6000 mg over 3 days...maybe bit more..

Then started on 100mg tablets...kinda run out last night of the 300s.

When I could sleep...I was having horrific nightmares. .

Today I started 100mg tabs...3 X a day.

I've felt good at times and typical Gabapentinoid withdrawal at others...

I know it was only three days...but I have a history with lyrica ..and the last withdrawal was a brutal month long withdrawal..

Been 6 weeks in between..

So, because of my history with lyrica, and potential kindling...should I try to soften the blow by doing a slower mini taper off the gaba .

Say...300 my 3 X a day for 2 days, 200 mg 2 times a day for two days, slowly from to 100mg 3 times a day.

Or should I just CT?

I have a lot of trauma, from the bullshit of the past, so it all comes up when I'm in gaba wd. Fkn gaba.

It must be more of a rebound ..not a wd ?

Anyway, I'm going to try to preserve my sanity and so a mini taper . ...

Any thoughts are welcome 🙏

Ok, I read this

Each withdrawal leads to more severe withdrawal symptoms than in previous episodes. Individuals who have had more withdrawal episodes are at an increased risk of very severe withdrawal symptoms, up to and including seizures and death. Long-term activation of the GABA receptor by sedative–hypnotic drugs causes chronic GABA receptor downregulation as well as glutamate overactivity, which can lead to drug and neurotransmitter sensitization, central nervous system hyperexcitability, and excitotoxicity.

So... Even a three day bender can cause potential worse withdrawal.

Mini taper looks like.

Any opinions welcome

PS, I know it this case they are referring to alcohol and Xanax, but it's been true in my case that with Gabapentinoids the withdrawal has been exponentially worse each time.

Fuk this 😭

Two options. Cold turkey, or mini taper.

I would do a rapid taper.

I wouldn't worry about the kindling effect too much. People tend to add their own psychogenic torment when it comes to GABAergic withdrawal by overthinking it. It usually takes decades to develop.

Try to stretch it out for a few more days because you're still in the downhill of kratom wds.

Last edited:
I would do a rapid taper.

I wouldn't worry about the kindling effect too much. People tend to add their own psychogenic torment when it comes to GABAergic withdrawal by overthinking it. It usually takes decades to develop.

Try to stretch it out for a few more days because you're still in the downhill of kratom wds.
Thankyou Snafu...ok I'm going to go with your advice..

Ill keep checking in 🙏

I used kratom and gabapentine to get off opiods .I went for 14 days. I gotta say it was brutal. I feel like I was withdrawing from kratom every 2 hours and it makes me sooooo constipated .it's like how in the world can one detox when you are never getting rid of the toxins? after 14 days I could not take it anymore I was gonna stop everything and cold turkey. then I accidentally almost cut my thumb off i had to go to ER i got 6 stitches and was back on the pain meds. I am trying to figure out how to do it again. I cannot handle 14 days again plus I felt like there was no end in sight. I wonder if the gabapentin was causing the problem or was it kratom? maybe stopping gabapentine after 14 days wasn't a good idea? I do not usually take it, so I figured it would not be a big deal stopping it. well, I am following and hoping and praying you do better. looking forward to some hope. seems everything out there comes with withdrawal these days. maybe big pharma is putting something in our meds to keep us hooked. I used to be able to take something a couple of weeks and stop no prob.

I used kratom and gabapentine to get off opiods .I went for 14 days. I gotta say it was brutal. I feel like I was withdrawing from kratom every 2 hours and it makes me sooooo constipated .it's like how in the world can one detox when you are never getting rid of the toxins? after 14 days I could not take it anymore I was gonna stop everything and cold turkey. then I accidentally almost cut my thumb off i had to go to ER i got 6 stitches and was back on the pain meds. I am trying to figure out how to do it again. I cannot handle 14 days again plus I felt like there was no end in sight. I wonder if the gabapentin was causing the problem or was it kratom? maybe stopping gabapentine after 14 days wasn't a good idea? I do not usually take it, so I figured it would not be a big deal stopping it. well, I am following and hoping and praying you do better. looking forward to some hope. seems everything out there comes with withdrawal these days. maybe big pharma is putting something in our meds to keep us hooked. I used to be able to take something a couple of weeks and stop no prob.
which drug were you trying to quit?

how much kratom were you taking? how much gabapentin?

It's not a dumb idea, but it could potentially exacerbate your GABA receptors, or trigger you into relapse.

Personally I question just how much gabapentin would help kratom withdrawal anyways.

How long have you been taking the kratom? 2 months?
Gabapentin only effects extra synaptic gaba receptors and alpha 2 Delta subunit calcium channel.

If there was any fear of seizure or convulsion it would be helpful and is a mild neuropathic pain reliever.

It also can help with anxiety but that's basically all it's going to do.

Thank you. I have been prescribed gabapentin for pain . I rarely take it for pain . So i thought it would be ok for getting off the painmeds. I really don't want to get hooked on also. What about gabba supplements? Do you know if those are addictive too? I also have some benzos from an old script. They were prescribed for anxiety quite a while back . I never used them daily as i was afraid to get hooked. Do you think i could take those for a week without getting hooked to get off pain meds ? For me anxiety and depression are the worst symptom of withdrawal. I have tried maybe 5 times in the last 2 years to get off. 14 days is the most i was able to do and i think because of the kratom i never actually feel free. I was always told it takes a week and you feel some relief. Never happened for me .