• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Kratom with SSRI

mcckate

Greenlighter
Hello, new to the forum. I take 100 mg of Zoloft been on that for a few years, I haven’t taken it in 2 days. I also just started abilify 2 mg 7 days ago. I also am taking gabapentin 600 mg however not very often. I have kratom that I’ve not used and have never tried I’m not opiate naive I’m unfortunately opiate tolerant. I’d like to know is it safe to take kratom with the following meds I’m prescribed at the moment if not how long does it stay in my system and when could I safely take kratom so I don’t get serotonin syndrome I’m absolutely petrified

Try this post for your answer friend. Oh and check out our new members welcome forum and make an introduction! Welcome to BL.

I don't know of any interaction.

But if you are taking a medicine for your mental health don't stop!

I was on Cylexa and Wellbutrin and took Kratom daily...fast forward 4 years..full blown psychosis and a stay of 9 days in a locked psych ward. Terrifying hallucinations. No history of psychosis in my family or myself prior to this.

I was on Cylexa and Wellbutrin and took Kratom daily...fast forward 4 years..full blown psychosis and a stay of 9 days in a locked psych ward. Terrifying hallucinations. No history of psychosis in my family or myself prior to this.

Presuming you reached medical help in a timely fashion, it's better that a doctor carefully considers what what they know of you, what they know from their education and THEN takes the course considered to produce the best outcome.

Long ago I was severely injured and left in immense pain. Now, the first-responders didn't give me morphine because although I was awake, I was clearly not talking sense. To they concluded I MIGHT have a head injury and that morphine would lead to a worse outcome.

If you stop taking a medication, then it's open to question as to the cause of your symptoms. It might be the medication but then again it might not be. So if you stopped, they would have to stop everything (since you began the process) and let ALL of the medication leave your body before they could make a more informed decision. And given one of them isn't a prescribed medicine, they wouldn't have a CLUE about it's action or it's T½ making the problem doubly difficult.

Before posting I did my due diligence and checked to find if their was any reference that your doctors could have used. Their is quite a lot, but it IS hard to find.
  1. Fava, M., Rush, A. J., Thase, M. E., Clayton, A., Stahl, S. M., Pradko, J. F., & Johnston, J. A. (2005). 15 years of clinical experience with bupropion HCl: from bupropion to bupropion SR to bupropion XL. Primary care companion to the Journal of clinical psychiatry, 7(3), 106.
  2. Costa, R., Oliveira, N. G., & Dinis-Oliveira, R. J. (2019). Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic of bupropion: integrative overview of relevant clinical and forensic aspects. Drug metabolism reviews, 51(3), 293-313.
  3. Hanapi, N. A., Ismail, S., & Mansor, S. M. (2013). Inhibitory effect of mitragynine on human cytochrome P450 enzyme activities. Pharmacognosy Research, 5(4), 241.
  4. Menkes, D. B., & Herxheimer, A. (2014). Interaction between antidepressants and alcohol: signal amplification by multiple case reports. International Journal of Risk & Safety in Medicine, 26(3), 163-170.
  5. Davidson, J. (1989). Seizures and bupropion: a review. The Journal of clinical psychiatry, 50(7), 256-261.
  6. Berigan, T. R. (2002). The many uses of bupropion and bupropion sustained-release (SR) in adults. Primary care companion to the Journal of clinical psychiatry, 4(1), 30.
I decided to search the clearweb to see if this information was known to a larger group. It turns out that going back at least as far as 2015, their appears to be pages and pages of various types of media outlet warning of the fact that Kratom slows buprion metabolism. The fact that my reference list includes items from forensic journals is VERY worrying.

I'm so glad you brought this up. In fact I believe it requires it's own thread (if one hasn't already been done). It's amazing how 2 compounds that appear totally unrelated do in fact interact. I suspect that you had inadvertently produced a buprion overdose. The medical fraternity prefers emotive terms such as 'unintentional overdose' presuming you told them about the kratom. So those 9 days were how long it took your liver to produce the enzymes require to remove the excess buprion from your body. If they knew of the kratom they MIGHT have used medicines that induce enzymes... but that is also not without risk.

I read that both drugs have antidepressant qualities. I suffer from depression so I have SOME idea of how you might have found the mixture to work very well. But then you were also building up buprion levels, so it's hard to know which was responsible for your improved move.
I will conclude by saying I'm glad you are here to post. It's these close calls that inform BLers. If we lose someone, certain members will want to ask if the cause is known. This can seem creepy and invasive but it's so that we can all learn, so we don't lose someone else.

Many thanks for taking the time to post ;-)

I take 200mg Zoloft daily and 300-600mg trileptal and kratom in large doses anywhere from 4-6 teaspoons 3-4 times a day and usually green or white powder.