• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom strain - Need help choosing a strain from experienced users

Ron_1980

Greenlighter
Hello,

To give a bit of background about myself (which is needed in order to receive the best advice), I’m trying to recover as an alcoholic and usually jump to hydrocodone when I’m not using alcohol. I take 15mg-20mg per dose, usually about 4 times a day. I’m a fairly experienced user and try to keep my dose low. I’ve been to rehab for alcohol and have heard too many horror stories of how it’s so easy to get up to taking high doses of 100mg plus, so I’ve always kept my dose low even though I get to the point where I’m no longer feeling the full euphoria I once did. I’ve recently done quite a bit of research on Kratom and it seems like a better substitute for hydrocodone because of less side effects (withdrawals, decreased libido, difficulty reaching an orgasm.) I just placed a small order from a reputable online vendor for red Maeng da, which I will receive today

Now to my question for any experienced Kratom users out there; I need help picking out a couple strains. The two types I’m looking for are:
1. A strain that will feel most like hydrocodone/Oxycodone And what is a recommended dose of the strain to try and get the same or even more euphoric feeling as 20mg hydro. This is something I would like to use in the evenings that would not effect my sleep.
2. A strain that is uplifting and euphoric. I plan to use this in the mornings, which will allow me to focus and get things done and a comparable dose as well.
I appreciate any feedback out there from experienced users. I have yet to find a clear answer to this, so I’m beginning to think the effects might be different from person to person. Thanks in advance.

... the same or even more euphoric feeling as 20mg hydro.
Ahhh, therein lies the rub with kratom. It does have a ceiling effect but early on in usage 2-5G doses of most any strain would work as equal to or greater than 20mg hydro (it is for me but I am sensitive to the plant fortunately.
If ones tries to sustain the ~20mg hydro effect over some time one would have to raise dosage after a bit and there is a limit to where one will feel the other side of the blade.
2. A strain that is uplifting and euphoric. I plan to use this in the mornings, which will allow me to focus and get things done and a comparable dose as well.
None better than a (reliable vendor) good supply of super green maeng da. I feel the effects best between 1.5-2gG for work day and it works in dosages 3-5hrs apart. Takes pain away, boosts mood and focused... oh, and energy.
.., so I’m beginning to think the effects might be different from person to person.
Dead on, mate.
What is an option for one may not work for another. Dosages would vary most IMO as there are so many factors involved. I can eat a decent meal and if I feel the need to ingest krat tea then an additional 1/2-1G and I feel full effects on the full (not gorged) stomach.
Trial and error.
All the above is my personal experience with the leaf but there are many who have their own anecdotes or suggestions on the matter.
Keeping that depression, listlessness and life is just fucked outlook (to me) is the very best way to overcome the BS of cessation.
Do not know what time of employment (if any) but working or just sitting outdoors as much as one can will have a positive effect on ones mood, emotions, thoughts, etc etc as we become closer to the rhythms of our planet (7.83hz - Schumann resonance)... which to me is common sense as the closer we get to earth the closer we get to earth: We have become strangers to out home and treat it like fu**ing sh**. Sorry, my bad.
Kratom has a dependence thing as well but IME nowhere near as crippling as opiates. Just feel like something is missing even after going back to opies from kratom. And miss the option of kratom until one orders more. :)
Peace

Can anyone explain why the red kratom is known as "the best" kind? Is it because it's stronger/more euphoric or something?

As far as green powder goes, the strongest for me is Indo. However, I've gotten amazing bags from every kind. It's always so hit or miss. They do have slightly different effects in terms of the kind of high, but all work equally well for me in regards to pain-killer properties. I hate getting bags where I have to take three times my normal dose to even catch a buzz. Luck is definitely involved with kratom. I'm convinced some bags absolutely suck and will only keep you out of withdrawal.

Excellent feedback folks, I appreciate it. It will be trial and error until I find what works best for me. I definitely will try the green maeng da for mornings when I need the boost. I think with depression and crippling anxiety lately, it’s been tough for me to get out of bed and get going. I got divorced, laid off from a great job I had, plus a host of issues, so looking for something to replace alcohol in my life and help me bounce back. Also have bulging discs in the back of my neck which are causing me quite some pain, so Kratom seems like a great fit and alternative for me.

Life sucks, lol. The drugs help but not fully.. Kratom is a great soft drug and probably the best one out there. It kills anxiety, pain, is an anti-depressant, and allows you to function. The withdrawal is also relatively benign compared to real opiates (for most people), and indefinitely not nearly as bad as an alcoholic wd or physically damaging like booze. It's not going to be a magic fix for what you're going through but it'll help a little bit. I've been taking it for almost 2 years now. It will lose some of it's touch as time passes but it still feels pretty good. When I want to get high these days off it though, I encounter dizziness and some nausea from higher doses ;/ Most people say that goes away in time but it hasn't for me.

Someone I was dating found my kratom stash and the best part is how normal people don't even know what it is so they won't dump you or freak out like you've been caught with a syringe and dope ;)

Last edited:
I thought I’d give some feedback on my kratom experience. So today’s my 5th day taking kratom during the day and sticking with hydrocodone during the evenings. The 2 positives are it definitely relieves you from opiate withdrawal. I have almost no cravings while I’m on it. The second is that it’s good for pain relief as well. I’ve tried a couple different reputable vendors, 3 different strains and tried various different dosages. I can say that the negative for me has been, it doesn’t give me much euphoria when compared to hydrocodone/oxycodone in my opinion. Maybe because I have not found the perfect strain, or the “sweet spot” dose yet.

I would like to hear the opinion of experienced kratom users if they agree that kratom is significantly less euphoric or if they believe that equal or greater euphoria can be achieved with the right vendor, strain, dose?

Ive been taking Kratom for almost a year now...i have found that the red is best for pain. )

I've used kratom for heroin withdrawal several times. Obviously, I've relapsed, but that's because I just didn't want it strong enough. It wasn't because the kratom wasn't helping. It did help, and I was in the process of lowering my dose.

I started out with 2 grams every 2 hours initially. After a day or two, I noticed I would be able to sleep a little more each night, so if I got 3 hours of sleep, I would start the cycle from that point- I wouldn't make up for a missed dose- I would just start my 2 hour cycle from whenever I woke up. Within a few days, I was able to get down to 1 gram every 2 hours. That's where I hovered for about a week or two, and then it changed when I went back to work. I would take 2 grams, but then not dose again until noon. I know that contradicts what I wrote earlier, but total dose for the day, I was coming in under 12 grams- probably right around 10, but still. It was consistent.

In any case, I highly recommend the site that has Africa's most dangerous terrestrial animal as its mascot- the one with the most kills (hint: it's not what you think). Anyway, the site has a chart with the "slowest", "moderate" and "fastest" strains. I found that chart incredibly helpful. You will find that the color of the variety means nothing. In fact, I've found the yellow varieties in the slow section of the chart to be the best for sleeping and chilling and comfort relief. It's not always the reds. Your mileage may vary. Once you get past the stage where the slow strains help, it's time to take the more energizing strains to deal with PAWS and help you cope with any latent tiredness.