• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Kratom Proponents present 120,000 signature Petition to the White House

^Seriously...

Usually they have the comment period and ignore it. This time they thought they could get away without having one and that's what caused a part of the outroar. Only sustained pressure will keep them from scheduling while Congress and the American People are stoned on December break.

I'm really concerned that the majority of the Kratom users who petitioned and complained before will be inactive during the comment period thinking they have already won and declaring victory and then the DEA will go "ok, you had your comment period and didn't use it and now we are scheduling it".

What do you think the chances are that the DEA WON'T count the comments made BEFORE October 1st as part of the "comment period" or overall comments and just do what I am saying and schedule it??

If you had to take an educated guess, do you think Kratom will be scheduled after December 1st??

I give it a 75% chance that it will be scheduled just not immediately but probably within 3 months.

^Seriously...

Usually they have the comment period and ignore it. This time they thought they could get away without having one and that's what caused a part of the outroar. Only sustained pressure will keep them from scheduling while Congress and the American People are stoned on December break.

Actually, even though I am still interested in your opinion on my last post, as well as others, i just went over to Reddit's Kratom forum and it seems that the DEA WILL count comments starting on August 25th in their decision.

HOWEVER...as I understand the article which I am going to now provide a link to, a LARGE PART of the DEA's decision they are leaving up to the FDA as the FDA will be doing an analysis on Kratom's alkaloids to determine if, in their opinion, it has a high potential for abuse, is ONLY meant to be used as a "drug" (but what do they even mean by that word "drug"??) and should be scheduled.

We aren't only fighting with the DEA but also the FDA.

Here's a link to the article.

I suggest you guys read it so we can talk about it, cause you know, then we'd be educated on what's going on and what we can do to help it PERMANENTLY stay legal:

https://www.botanical-education.org/future-kratom-dea-fda/

What is this comment period? It's good news that they are pushing the possible ban back, I'd like to help but I'm not quite sure what to do.

If you had to take an educated guess, do you think Kratom will be scheduled after December 1st??[/B]

I'm surprised but encouraged that they're counting all comments starting 8/25.

If I had to guess, I'd say that they'll still schedule it, but they'll try to blame the FDA and they'll give somewhat more justification. I'd only be a little surprised if they let this one stay legal though---something along the lines of people's responses---but similar to MDMA they might set up some kind of "study group" that will recommend banning it in 2-4 years (with the hope being that things will die down by then).

This ban is going to effectively lead millions of Americans using Kratom to get off prescription opioids or heroin back to using prescription opioids or heroin. .

but the DEA also reduced the amount of presciption opioid availabliity by 25%....so yea....heroin. cartels are happy i bet

I am a recovering heroin addict and recovering alcoholic. I was able to kick both habits without supplementing anything. There are those that aren't as fortunate, though. My case wasn't courage or strength, don't get me wrong, I just hated myself so much that I quit dope cold turkey after locking myself in my basement for seven days.
Anyone who claims that the illegalization of Kratom, or the scheduling of both major alkaloids, will get them back into using harder opioids/opiates is choosing the wrong platform to campaign with. Unfortunately there are those that will go back due to this, but threatening the DEA with relapse is only going to make them ecstatic. State funded rehabilitation centers have always relied on 'repeat customers' to help them stay open. This is not true for all, it is certainly true for some.

I became a kratom eater due to chronic pain from Pre-Parkinson's Neuropathy, or so said the neurologist, who I believe made that diagnosis up. But without a doubt, I've been in immense pain for over ten years, and Kratom has helped keep that +10 pain down to between 0-3. It was a life saver simply because the chronic pain was becoming severely psychologically damaging that I was harming myself in ways outside of picking back up.

I did wish people talked more about the antagonistic properties, or the fact that, when taken all alkaloids in account, can effect both Delta and Kappa areas as well. I was fortunate enough to go to the D.C. Rally, living not too far away. And with everyone who spoke, the two people who meant the most were a woman speaking on her suicidal depression, and the benefits of Kratom in the phyciatric field, in the area of depression and anxiety. The second, though, was a war veteran and spokesperson for those recovering from PTSD. While the scientific community are making strides at conquering PTSD (like the trails of therapeutic MDMA dosing), these men and women have to deal with it the best way they know how. And this individual spoke on behalf of only himself that Kratom lifted him from a deeply dark place and showed that, though not a cure, there is some light available, enough for him to get through each day knowing there will be a next. These two speakers showed that there is much more to this plant than a quick cure for dope sickness. Yes, it does that as well, and had I known in retrospect, I'd have used it to get off Suboxone years ago when I took that route. But with all eyes shifted towards it helping opioid addiction, I believe that there are other areas that need to be looked at.

No, I have never believed that a group of collective people, in solidarity (whatever that may mean to you), can change an outcome. The DEA, unfortunately, is under the Executive Branch, allowing it more power than its original purpose (Or so says the Senator's Secretary that I spoke to), but the people who called in for an extension may have fundamentally helped. Senator Hatch can take most of the credit, though. I just know that I called Senators and Representatives in 26 different states, some over voicemail, some to the Secretaries, and now we have the said extension and an open window for public comment. Did the people do this? In my opinion, probably not. But like someone throwing a brick through a window, it doesn't have any purpose other than to make a very loud noise. And the people made a loud enough noise to warrant the people with power to listen and take action.

Felonious Monk -- by the way, I love that name.
I'm sure the scheduling will happen, but no one, not even the DEA, has the nerves to classify it as Schedule I anymore. Especially since the two major alkaloids are already patented. I'm guessing that they are working on extracting a pill as we speak, if one hasn't already been made. But to have a mandatory two year, with a possible third, classification as a Schedule I, I believe (nothing to cite here outside of my own, legal knowledge, which is very thin) that no one can use those alkaloids for pharmaceutical reasons outside trials, like with MDMA.