• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Kratom extraction

Sertürner

Bluelight Crew
So I did a basic ethanol extraction using on ~250g of kratom, and ended up with some green crystals and some resin. Total yield ~10g of kratom extract. About 40% crystals and 60% resin. I just eyeballed this percentage, not actually weigh it out. The crystals were incredibly strong, giving me a pretty strong traditional opioid feeling. I have a pretty high tolerance to both kratom and opioids (100mg oxycodone is what it takes for adequate effects) and this stuff had me feeling a almost that same level, but not quite.
The resin and resin/crystal mixture I ground up did not touch the green crystals in terms of effects.
Anybody know why that was so strong? And my main question, how can I clean up this resin in my extracts? I want pure crystal, as I want to investigate these.

Would a soxhlet be an easier way to go with this extraction besides a/b extraction? A/B extraction seems pretty time consuming and tedious. The only thing I am concerned about with the soxhlet is the spectrum, but I suppose I could do separate extractions with different solvents and mix them before evaporating them off.

the classic method for extracting mitragynine involves
1. extracting the leaf material with hot methanol, then concentrating to get a crude extract
2. material dissolved in 10% acetic acid then basified with sodium carbonate and extraction with chloroform to get crude alkaloid material (~1.8% w/w in the paper)
3. crude alkaloids chromatographed over silica to get pure mitragynine

there was also a more recent procedure that seems easier & will have less material loss to hydrolysis as it doesn't involve any water, published by the malaysians
1. soxhlet extract the dry powdered leaf with hexanes/naptha & discard the solvent
2. soxhlet extract the defatted leaf with chloroform to get crude alkaloid extract (~2.4% w/w in the paper)
3. crude alkaloids chromatographed over silica & recrystallized to get pure mitragynine

presumably the ethanol extract you have is maybe 50% pure mitragynine, which is still good for a quick extraction

Last edited:
I haven't used many solvents before and am concerned about safety while doing this procedure. Anything I should be cautious about before I do this. And I dont have access to any of the above items in step 3. Anyway around this?