• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kratom extract and autoimmune disease

taffylou

Greenlighter
Hi all!

This is something that I have been pondering for a while, the past year or so I would say. Let me start off by saying that I am a daily kratom burner, and in the last year have used extracts daily-along with plain leaf. I use one extract in particular, where the vendor is very well respected and makes the extract himself...stating that the method he uses is safe with no chemicals left behind. Still though, I wonder...?

I wonder because I have come up positive for possible Lupus, or at least autoimmune disorder. The symptoms of this coincide with my regular use of the extract...(not plain leaf, have been burning that for 4 years or so...) Hair loss is the main symptom that got me to the doctor last year, and I was blown away to be told I may have Lupus. I am just now following up on more testing, after months of denial. I also am backtracking to ANY behavior that may or may not have caused this reaction in my body?

Now, I know this could all be very far fetched and I am grasping here. However, IS it that off the wall to think that maybe there is something not so safe in this 90% extract that I am using, some chemical or something?

I guess the logical thing to do would be just to stop the extract and see where I stand. Easier said than done, especially since I kind of assume I am just hoping for some easy answer out of this.

Any thoughts? Advice? Experience? Much appreciated, any input and all. Thanks much for your time!:D

I think I know who you are speaking of and as far as I know there would be nothing in the extract that would cause this. You can ask them the procedure and check for yourself. It could be the alkaloids for all we know. There really is not studies on Kratom in the US, but it has been used in Asia for centuries and if there is no documentation of anything like this, then I doubt its the Kratom. I have heard it being linked to liver issues, but not an autoimmune disease. Sometimes people just get sick man...has your diagnosis been confirmed? Sorry to hear about this man.

Hi, thanks for replying and your kind words. No, I have not officially been diagnosed as of yet-I got to the doctor next week. Blood tests all point to something going on...

I know wondering if it's the extract is far fetched. There is some literature online that talks about extract that is out there, containing chemicals or toxins. The vendor I use, though, has a really good rep. and I highly doubt his product is the issue--UNLESS there is just something naturally occurring in the extraction process. Again, though...far fetched. I did ask the vendor about the possibility of autoimmune issues but he did not answer me. That bugged me a little, but then again kratom vendors don't really want to talk about the consumption of the product..Big no no I guess.
Should probably just stop using it for a while. Thanks again!

Hi Taffylou. Just had to reply to you. I have been battling acute autoimmune disease for 6 months now. It's probably Lupus, but ran out of money before I could determine if it was Lupus or ICU. My main symptoms are joint aches/swelling and severe hives. I have been able to get it pretty much into remission - 85%. I started taking kratom as tea with a friend a couple of months ago. I am in SE Asia, so what I'm getting is produced by a company, but straight out of Borneo. I noticed that after having some tea, I had a small hive incident. Twice. I ignored it at the time, or accepted it, as it was a small incident. Then, a few days ago, I had some more with a friend. This time, the hives are severe with other symptoms and I believe this Lupus/ICU is now out of remission. The only culprit could be the kratom. I have no idea why, but that is quite literally the only x factor possible. My friend, who knows the whole story, is also convinced, but still taking it, as it has benefits for him. I am disappointed to say that I will not take it again. Very disappointed. But - you are right - there is something in the herb that aggravates autoimmune disorders. I'm reluctantly convinced and am currently paying the price. Take care.

Hi RockChick and Welcome to BL :)

I'll keep an eye out for anything pertinent to your situation as this is all I've found so far:

From the BEA website:
"Many peer reviewed studies and clinical trials that attest to the medical potential of this plant. Kratom has no acute toxicity. Research shows it assists with drug and alcohol withdrawal symptoms and contains several oxindole alkaloids which have exhibited potent immunomodulation properties."

Hives are usually a red flag for anaphylaxis, so other than maybe experimenting with minute amounts of other strains or other providers if it's something you find useful (sans hives of course), it might be time for complete cessation.

Taffylou hasn't posted in 5 years so unfortunately I don't think she'll be back. If you're determined to contact her you could try the PM function by clicking on her username though.

Best of Luck to You