View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Kratom = DXM potentiator?

StickToYourGuns

Bluelighter
Is it possible that kratom can potentiate DXM?

I take kratom on a daily basis to ease my chronic pain. One day, I took my morning dose... and then later that day, I stated feeling a little sinus infection coming on (just a minor cough and some congestion), so I ended up taking a couple Mucus Relief DM tablets for a bit of relief. It was a combined total of 60mg of DXM, which was the therapeutical dose listed on the bottle.

About an hour later, I felt a slight robotrip coming on. Now, I have robotripped plenty of times in the past when I was a teenager, so I know exactly what it feels like. And this therapeutical dose felt more like I took about 150mg of DXM — or just enough to get you into the first plateau. It took me completely off guard, as I was not expecting it whatsoever.

Do you think it's true that kratom has the ability to potentiate DXM?

They surely potentiate each other, but to what degree I am unsure.

This is potentially a very dangerous combination in high doses, though. Both in terms of their combined serotonergic effect and their CNS effects.

I do not advise taking more than therapeutic doses of DXM with kratom. I don't advise people abuse DXM in general it's more dangerous than people think and can lead to permanent serotonergic damage, of which I know several people who suffer from.

It's probably reasonably safe in reasonable doses, assuming there aren't even more drugs or medication thrown in.

Last edited:
This does sound quite likely.
As @Snafu in the Void said, you should be very careful combining these two and not surpass therapeutic doses of DXM when taking any amount of kratom to ensure your safety.

DXM has been used to potentiate opiods. I once tried to use it to potentiate kratom. Very weird high. I do agree, it felt like a higher dose of DXM than I had taken, but at the same time not as pleasurable as a normal DXM high or a kratom high. They were both there, but it was a strange feeling. I felt like the DXM just ruined the kratom high.

Kratom is a strange substance as far as it’s interaction with other substances. Different substances can change the kratom high very significantly. For example, when I mixed kava and kratom, I would get super zoney where I would want to just stare into space. But I could pull myself out of it. Almost like a nod. But kanna and kratom combo was super speedy. Like similar to Amphetamine but without anxiety.

Last edited:
I had been wanting to try DXM for years. In the early days of the internet I thought I was being punked when I read of a sub culture that uses DXM. Then I realized it is real.

However the last 7-8 years I have been using daily kratom twice a day. And whenever I had the time to at least try DXM I always reached for a classic psychedelic. I did not know the kratom/DXM interaction was dangerous until this post. Glad I read BL. I have been so curious as to the effects but now I may wait till I taper off kratom and use a smaller amount. Not sure that will ever happen.

3 things I would like to try before I hit the grave.

1. DXM
2. MDA - was never around when I was growing up
3. Ibogaine.

Heh, I just read about MDA. Before clinical practice discovered the synergy between dissociatives and psychedelics, they were combining LSD and Ritalin for purposes of assuring positive outcomes. Next this got supplanted by the single chemical MDA as it was taken as something in between mescaline and amphetamine, both in effect and skeletal structure.

I had been wanting to try DXM for years. In the early days of the internet I thought I was being punked when I read of a sub culture that uses DXM. Then I realized it is real.
DXM is very dangerous to combine with pretty much *every* drug afaik. Downers, stimulants, anything serotonergic, other dissos (which accounts for basically almost everything). I've combined it with classic psychedelics but it's very intense and I wouldn't really recommend it particularly. Better off just getting some K or other disso.

There seems to be a major genetic component to DXM enjoyment (when using it by itself, and in general).

Personally I think tripping on DXM is one of the worst drug experiences out there, it's acutely dysphoric and has very low recreational potential.

But I've also heard other people describe it as one of their drugs of choice, very euphoric and fun, and some people even get addicted to it.

But I've heard too many horror stories of people going into permanent psychosis, permanent serotonergic damage, from abusing DXM to ever want to try it again. In high doses it starts acting as a very powerful SSRI like drug, leading to serotonin syndrome and serotonergic damage.

Well its kinetics are very complex from the getgo so combinations are going to be complex. But its widespread availability has given tons of data, which is where its safety profile gets fair. It's certainly not "dangerous to combine with pretty much every drug". DXM was what I started out with pretty much, and I survived some pretty stupid shit. The main thing to beware of is serotonin syndrome, no big surprises really. Keep the molly away.

In fact since DXM is such a mess anyway it makes an exotic launching pad, even a way to center delirium, dissociation and psychedelic patterning. If you want to integrate all these states into one then DXM would be your realm. Kinda like when you stop being sticks and rocks about it and go space station.

But it comes with bodily trials similar to the ayahuasca ones that really aren't pretty, not for writing home about, or for appending to a well tripped life. It's kinda young ones country, when the body still can take a beating. DXM at old age? I'd skip. Watch Stranger Things on Netflix to get a feel of the upside down instead, heh.

Never tried dxm but thru reading seems an expensive trip? Few stories ppl doing 1600mg that's like them downing a litre of syrup. 40 notes or am I reading it wrong.
1600mg is like 2strong trips for a bigger person though.

Ive done around 1300mg spread out over almost 12h.
And im quite certain i wont be doing that again.
6-800mg is well enough for most to get a third platue trip.
And even that will be to intense for many.

Heck even 150-200mg and some bud gives a nice buzz for most.

I've done the reverse many times and used DXM to potentiate Kratom. It makes the high more drowsy, not always a bad thing if you are in the mood for that.
So as to minimally "flavor" the high, I always kept doses low. 15mg commonly, never more than 30mg.

I've never done DXM recreationally, even though I used to have a friend who obtained it pure. I doubt I would like it.

I want to do DXM one more time pretty low at 240mg but take an opiate, smoke weed, and hit the n2o. Have done dxm in probably 14 years and no nitrous in about a year.

Snafu in the voids 2 posts in this thread makes me shift toward the side of not wanting to take dxm again, although i haven't taken it in like 18 years and used to like it. part of me wants to give it a go again just cause it's something that's always around, seems so easy to do... seems best to stay away from... nice writing by poster snafu in the void.

^^^^^ @ highonfire ... i'd recommend just getting some shrooms and hitting some nitrous. i don't know if you've tried both before. i never mixed opiates with dxm and used nitrous, but i've done a good amount of dxm at about the doses you are talking about and used some nitrous with it... imo the shrooms combo is just so much better.. i'm not gonna tell you my trips cause i'm sure everyone is gonna experience something different, but the shrooms and nitrous is just better, more clear and what not.. not gonna say you won't have a good trip. i'm just always gonna recommend some shrooms over dxm. it's funny though, i kind of liked my time using dxm.

doing shrooms or dxm with nitrous just kind of goes to a similar place as salvia or dmt imo. they are both pretty cool. i'm not gonna lie. is it really worth it to try though if it's not that healthy. something i can't really get over as an addict. shrooms are supposed to be good for the brain though. lol

4 oz. robo then shortly 7g cubensis was beyond crazy. Ended up in ctscan cause mom was freaked out that i couldn't speak and pupils were 100% dilated. Must've timed the offset percently to match peaks of the two drugs.

Lol just remembered I had nitrous for that night but was wayyyyyy too fucked up to attempt. Did them right when home from hospital.