• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom cause opiate withdrawal or no?

Hi TrapZepplin!

Reading through this thread, I just wanted to point out a few things as I’ve been using Kratom daily since 2013:

No, Kratom will not cause precipitated withdrawal like Suboxone does.
Yes, Kratom can be addictive and is known to cause withdrawl if you quit.
Some people successfully use Kratom to help get through Opiate withdrawals
As the above poster said, Kratom can be stimulating. Less is more sometimes with this substance. For me, personally, I can’t sleep if I use Kratom too close to bedtime (no matter what the strain). Similar to taking an oxy then trying to go to sleep.

I know you’re taking opiates for pain relief, but I just wanted to mention my experience with tolerance. Since becoming a daily Kratom user, I can tell you I literally can’t feel any type of buzz anymore with a regular opioid (although I haven’t tried large doses). I doubt I’ll ever feel that nice little buzz again. It’s gotta be from the Kratom usage since I never really messed with opioids except for post surgeries etc. so my tolerance has been affected for sure. I don’t know, however, if this means the therapeutic qualities of opiates has also gone down, or if the opiate buzz itself is just gone.

Just thought this was worth mentioning. Please let me know if you have any questions, I’m happy to help!

One last thing - sometimes Kratom actually increases my anxiety. It usually makes me really chatty, too. It gives me a nice mood lift. I recommend a red strain, and your best bet is to order it online (in bulk, it’s cheaper). I don’t recommend buying it in a head shop....who knows what you’re really getting.

Clonidine (Catapres) is worth a try. Also, Gabapentinoids work well for some people. I understand insomnia is really shitty and I truly feel for people who have to go through is, but we are a Harm Reduction forum and we are supposed to be directing our attention toward keeping people safe.

I pointed out that even in a tolerant user those drugs can be fatal. Thats the what don't you get part. So what a doctor prescribed them. Those drugs can kill you. Fine you happen to use them perfectly, great. the other 90% of the people on here abuse that combo. So pardon my HR attitude. Is everyone a rebel now with Kratom? Just taper IMO. Not everyone needs a medacation for everything. Kratom helps people, but can complicate things. Unless your a hopless addict , just put up with it and ween down. If you really need Kratom, read the Kratom threads.
Yes kratom absolutely does have withdrawal, although i'd say it's not as severe as other opioids. I'm currently tapering down from 40 grams a day, I tried cold turkey on this dose and it's no picnic.

Kratom is just as addictive as any other opiate so be cautious.
falsi - do you believe taking the Kratom one dose a day everyday would lead to a physical se
Be sure to taper off of kratom to avoid acute withdrawals instead of going cold turkey.
Try not to stay on kratom for too long if you can help it because it can become another addiction. I've noticed how psychologically addicting it can be, like you start to feel like you need it.
[/QUOTE
Do you think taking a small dose every night would lead to withdrawal? I’m not sure
It very much causes wd and will not help with insomnia. One of the effects of kratom is stimulation.
ok yeah I don’t want that, thanks
Hi TrapZepplin!

Reading through this thread, I just wanted to point out a few things as I’ve been using Kratom daily since 2013:

As the above poster said, Kratom can be stimulating. Less is more sometimes with this substance. For me, personally, I can’t sleep if I use Kratom too close to bedtime (no matter what the strain). Similar to taking an oxy then trying to go to sleep.

I know you’re taking opiates for pain relief, but I just wanted to mention my experience with tolerance. Since becoming a daily Kratom user, I can tell you I literally can’t feel any type of buzz anymore with a regular opioid (although I haven’t tried large doses). I doubt I’ll ever feel that nice little buzz again. It’s gotta be from the Kratom usage since I never really messed with opioids except for post surgeries etc. so my tolerance has been affected for sure. I don’t know, however, if this means the therapeutic qualities of opiates has also gone down, or if the opiate buzz itself is just gone.

Just thought this was worth mentioning. Please let me know if you have any questions, I’m happy to help!

One last thing - sometimes Kratom actually increases my anxiety. It usually makes me really chatty, too. It gives me a nice mood lift. I recommend a red strain, and your best bet is to order it online (in bulk, it’s cheaper). I don’t recommend buying it in a head shop....who knows what you’re really getting.
Very informative thank you. That’s what I was afraid of, the kratom interfering with the pain meds.
Opiates have always stimulated me, even
Hi TrapZepplin!

thank you that’s very informative. Last thing I want to do is raise my tolerance. Well second to last, I don’t want to interrupt my sleep even worse than it is. I’m thinking I will avoid the kratom for now. I don’t want to make my situation worse. And I’m going to exhaust all herbal options.
really appreciate your help!

Clonidine (Catapres) is worth a try. Also, Gabapentinoids work well for some people. I understand insomnia is really shitty and I truly feel for people who have to go through is, but we are a Harm Reduction forum and we are supposed to be directing our attention toward keeping people safe.
Just saw this reply. Thank you. Yes I can promise safety is also important to me. I have a lot to live for. At the same time, I’ve moved up in my job over the past 10 years, and really want to give my career 110% which is hard with no sleep. I appreciate all the info everyone. (And yes I’ve heard several good things about gaba drugs. I will ask my dr next trip. I’m sure he’d let me try it out.) Again thank you for your help, and keeping it respectful.