• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom cause opiate withdrawal or no?

TrapZeppelin

Bluelighter
Hello I’m wanting to try Kratom at night to help with anxiety and insomnia. I take Hydrocodone regularly and do not want it to cause withdrawal symptoms (I experienced this before when experimenting with suboxone). Anyone have tips? Also, which Kratom should I get? It’s legal in my state

Kratom should help with the anxiety/insomnia. After a long period of time, (if you want to stop taking it) you will get withdrawal effects just like Hydrocodone. Red Bali is a good strain.

Be sure to taper off of kratom to avoid acute withdrawals instead of going cold turkey.
Try not to stay on kratom for too long if you can help it because it can become another addiction. I've noticed how psychologically addicting it can be, like you start to feel like you need it.

Yes kratom absolutely does have withdrawal, although i'd say it's not as severe as other opioids. I'm currently tapering down from 40 grams a day, I tried cold turkey on this dose and it's no picnic.

Kratom is just as addictive as any other opiate so be cautious.

Months ago I cold turkeyed massive amounts of Kratom as was up for three weeks straight. I was losing my marbles and everything.

I had finally slept.

My goal is to use it occasionally just before bed. I’m getting off ambien and nothing else seems to compare :( i was really wanting to know if it could cause early withdrawal symptoms regarding the opiates I currently take. Like when you take suboxone too soon? Does it similarly block those receptors? I use pain meds for chronic migraine and quite simply for fun. Thanks!

G
Months ago I cold turkeyed massive amounts of Kratom as was up for three weeks straight. I was losing my marbles and everything.

I had finally slept.
glad you slept. I’ve tried just about everything for insomnia. I bought an elixir from Whole Foods last night and it actually helped!! I’m feeling a bit groggy today as I had to get up too early for an appt. I will attach a picture of the ingredients. I also drank valerian root tea. Fingers crossed it works again tonight

I had finally slept.

Attachments

• B13D6EF2-DED1-4C15-85F2-36F05750D65C.png
    B13D6EF2-DED1-4C15-85F2-36F05750D65C.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 11
I think the insomnia is due to the fact I’m taking about 60-80mg of Hydrocodone in about a 14 hour span. Every day for years. I’m cutting back, currently at about 60mg and hoping to get to 30-40. I’m a small chick, about 110lbs. But I do have a high tolerance. I miss my ambien and Xanax :((

so whats the point of this thread? if your on vicodin, you dont need ambient and xanax . don't get me wrong , that would be cool to have in the medicine cabinet , but that is flirting with death if used wrong. Be careful. This is all serious shit.

so whats the point of this thread? if your on vicodin, you dont need ambient and xanax . don't get me wrong , that would be cool to have in the medicine cabinet , but that is flirting with death if used wrong. Be careful. This is all serious shit.
Umm they all do different things. One is for pain, another for anxiety, another for sleep. I would think you’d know that as an admin. Doctors prescribed them together for decades. I took a very low dose of Xanax 0.5mg a day. The point of the thread?? My original question - will Kratom cause early onset of withdrawal for opiates. Pretty straightforward and to the point

Last edited:
Also, the combination I described was all prescribed under one doctor for 15 years. I have anxiety, insomnia and chronic migraines due to a bad car accident. It’s not like I’m popping bars and shooting oxy. It was norcos and a small amount of Xanax for panic. My curiosity about Kratom potentially causing withdrawal from the norco, is due to an experience I had with taking suboxone too early. It caused early withdrawal. I didn’t know if Kratom can do that as well, since a lot of people take it to get off opiates.

I would rather be on organic Kratom then pharma anyday. JMHO
Well you can probably respect the reasons I’m apprehensive about a change. Being on pain meds for 15 years and knowing exactly what I’m working with... paying $5 a month for it... ease of taking etc. it will be hard to make a change but certainly worth trying. I’m a bit skeptical of the Kratom vendors in my area. I live in the mid west (US) and we aren’t as up to speed as other states. Also a bit weary of ordering online. I don’t know anyone who to takes it. Which is why I’m here asking these questions

I pointed out that even in a tolerant user those drugs can be fatal. Thats the what don't you get part. So what a doctor prescribed them. Those drugs can kill you. Fine you happen to use them perfectly, great. the other 90% of the people on here abuse that combo. So pardon my HR attitude. Is everyone a rebel now with Kratom? Just taper IMO. Not everyone needs a medacation for everything. Kratom helps people, but can complicate things. Unless your a hopless addict , just put up with it and ween down. If you really need Kratom, read the Kratom threads.

Well you can probably respect the reasons I’m apprehensive about a change. Being on pain meds for 15 years and knowing exactly what I’m working with... paying $5 a month for it... ease of taking etc. it will be hard to make a change but certainly worth trying. I’m a bit skeptical of the Kratom vendors in my area. I live in the mid west (US) and we aren’t as up to speed as other states. Also a bit weary of ordering online. I don’t know anyone who to takes it. Which is why I’m here asking these questions

Ok, you're referring to precipitated withdrawal. It was hard to understand what you meant at first. No, Kratom will not cause precipitated withdrawals like suboxone. Suboxone and kratom are two different things. Kratom works more like an opiate. You want to use it for sleep, but since you're already on such a high dose of pain meds, you probably won't even feel the kratom that much. You can try it, but kratom for sleep doesn't sound very reasonable in your situation.

If you're trying to wean completely off of your pain meds, kratom can help with that. You don't want to make kratom another addiction though, as others have warned. We really don't know how long it will remain legal. So if you are serious about getting off of pain meds, you should only use it for that reason while it's still available.

That is correct, sorry for the confusion. Yeah I’m not looking for any euphoria from Kratom. Just for help sleeping. Makes sense though. Thanks for the info

I pointed out that even in a tolerant user those drugs can be fatal. Thats the what don't you get part. So what a doctor prescribed them. Those drugs can kill you. Fine you happen to use them perfectly, great. the other 90% of the people on here abuse that combo. So pardon my HR attitude. Is everyone a rebel now with Kratom? Just taper IMO. Not everyone needs a medacation for everything. Kratom helps people, but can complicate things. Unless your a hopless addict , just put up with it and ween down. If you really need Kratom, read the Kratom threads.
You’re still missing the point. I have insomnia. Trouble sleeping. Period. My whole life since I was a child. I am asking for better sleep. Jesus you do have a pissy attitude. Start your period this week?
And I have read Kratom posts, hours worth actually. My situation is unique. If you don’t have anything helpful to add, why are you commenting?

It very much causes wd and will not help with insomnia. One of the effects of kratom is stimulation.