• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Kratom and its affect on alcohol cravings.

kaervan

Greenlighter
I gave up hard drinking in 2012 but didn't mind the occasional beer or wine at parties since then. When I started using kratom in 2018 I found I now had zero desire for alcohol and even felt revolted by it. Is this a common occurrence for those that use kratom?

I tried a beer a few months ago and felt rather unpleasant afterwards. I am currently tapering off kratom and besides the restless legs and boredom I am doing OK. I just don't know if the alcohol desire suppression I have experienced on kratom will rebound to the opposite extreme of actually wanting alcohol once I am fully tapered off.

My willpower is pretty strong, but I am just curious if coming of kratom will temporarily cause an increase in cravings for other things like alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine.

I am an alcoholic. Kratom does a great job at eliminating alcohol cravings, however after awhile it can become problematic when kratom tolerance and dependence occurs.

You will probably experience some level of craving rebound, however drinking while in kratom withdrawal is a bad idea. You'll feel less euphoric from the alcohol, but mainly you will get an EPIC hangover like 5x worse than usual.

But yes you will crave many things. I usually get very hungry and chain smoke cigarettes from depeleted dopamine when in kratom withdrawal.

I don’t know if coming off kratom will rekindle a desire for Alchol as I’ve never used it very consistently but I did notice that when I started doing kratom the idea of Alcohol almost instantly became repulsive it was especially wierd because at the time I was bordering on alcoholism the desire just completely evaporated after like one or two doses

I do still kinda feel tempted to drink at times just out of a desire to speed my perception of time if I’m feeling really bored so that could be a concern if your dealing with anhedonia from getting off kratom but If your already not feeling great Alchol will just exastabate that Pretty much as soon as the onset gives way to offset

I share your exact story. Every few months, I stop taking kratom for awhile and ya - the void returns and I want to fill it. I use low-dose psilocybin though and Im good to go.

I will also add that while I fully understand the side effects and downside to kratom, if it comes to it and you cannot stay away from alcohol without it, then pick the lesser of evils (kratom). As a form of MAT from alcohol, its awesome.