• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos klonopin withdrawl advise

neozanoro

Bluelighter
hey guys its your boy zanoro again. I'm a generally healthy 21 year-old male with a severe panic and generalized anxiety disorder that has been on.5mg clonazepam a day for about 3-4 years now.im about to have to go cold turkey for 4-7 days. how hard is this gonna be and am I in any real danger. I might be able to get some Ativan syrup if necessary.i just wanna know if I'm in any real danger of seizures or heart attack/stroke,etc.. thanks just to clarify .5mg of clonazepam a day for 4 years.half a milligram a day not 5

Yes, you are at risk of seizures. Cold turkey withdrawal after long-term benzo use is dangerous regardless of the dose you were on. I assume you were prescribed the Klonopin? See a doctor asap regardless, it's never really recommended to CT benzos, but especially not when we're looking at long-term and/or high-dose use.

Do you have any clonazepam left?

Last edited:
It's a relatively low dose but the amount of time you have been on it can be a concern. If your meds are prescribed get your Doctor's advice.

It is very unlikely that 0.5mg of klonopin daily will cause a seizure if stopped, usually when you get above 2mg a day you enter the danger zone. You will experience a lot of rebound anxiety, insomnia, physical tension and aggressiveness, however IN MY OPINION, i don't think you will go through that bad of a withdrawl at all. Benadryl will help at nighttime if you can't sleep, maybe neurontin or ambien can help if you can get a hold of it. Typical benzo withdrawls last 2-4 weeks.
Dependency more so depends on how much daily you are using, more than anything, the duration of being dependent(4yrs) is not as important as a factor as how many MG daily your taking, which is key when it comes down to finding out the severity of soon to come withdrawls.

^even if you think it's unlikely, it's absolutely not impossible, and four years is a long time for benzo use, regardless of dose. Seizures really aren't a risk worth taking...

And fwiw, I've done stupid doses of etizolam (50mg on one occasion, 20+ pretty regularly-I'd just black out and eat my whole stash) and didn't become dependent for over a year. It was the relatively normal doses (i.e. 3mg etizolam) used daily that finally did me in. Frequency is a huge factor. High doses definitely increase the risk, but long-term use can lead to seizures as well when discontinued suddenly.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump,but to elaborate, physical dependency takes a certain amount of time to develop, once you get to that point of being physically dependent, your dependent, period. Regardless of how long you have been dependent after you reach that point, it won't make a signficant difference in withdrawl, since your already at that key stage anyway. Focus more on the daily dose you take, and acknowledge you are physically dependent , so you can voice your concerns to your doctor, or keep in mind medical attention is a possibility coming off of it.
Like I said, .5mg is not anything to be worrying sick over. I was prescribed klonopin for 8 yrs, and was on .5mg twice a day, my doctor dropped me down to .5 once a day, and that was it, nope , nada, no .25 decrease. It WAS very uncomfortable to withdrawl, however I was in no danger of a seizure, and according to my doctor (i wanna note, that my doctor is an M.D., his credentials go beyond blue light) and he told me I will be fine stopping at .5mg, he mentioned it may be uncomfortable, but fatal or risks of seizures, no. Then again my human body is different than other people's human bodies, so idk if anyone has ever had a seizure from .5....I suppose it's possible tho

^Yes, but you were under medical supervision, that was my point. OP may be alright like you were, but there's an innate seizure risk when suddenly discontinuing benzos after years and hence my suggestion to get medical help. Not to mention the excitotoxicity damage that can result from CT benzo WD, even if there are no seizures... Seriously OP, you're best off seeing a doctor about this.

The upside is that clonazepam has a very long half life, so you might have a few days before you start to notice really uncomfortable symptoms. If you're feeling bad early on, definitely seek help. I'd probably get that Ativan syrup as a back-up too. If you get panic attacks, or feel close to it, it's time to dose up. If you can stretch your stash until you get more clonazepam and still feel normal, you should be ok, but I'd do anything to avoid CT.

Last edited:
Why are you going CT? Why not a taper? Clonazepam has a long half life, so a taper should be doable if you have the pills

Google the ashton manual and taper, 4 years is enough to induce seizures, it's unlikely, but possible and maybe you're prone to seizures, but just don't know it, so better do a taper.

thanks for the advise but everyone seems to be missing what I mean I'm by no means stopping or have the ability to taper.im gonna be out for 4-7 days. How bad are they gonna be and will Ativan help.

You should be able to substitute clonazepam with Ativan without experiencing any WD. There's a benzo conversion chart here on BL. You may need to dose more frequently with Ativan

If 0.5 can cause seizure from stopping wth am I doing cutting down from 4mg to 0.5 no wonder I feel like crap. The loraz is supposed to work soon but I'll need a bit to catch up to what I was on.