• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Klonopin - Question About What To Disclose To Psychiatrist Or Not

OpiatEuphoriaReturns

Bluelighter
So I was prescribed 1mg Klonopin once a day for about 5 years straight. A couple years ago they took me off cold turkey and I have been buying them off the street ever since.

I started seeing a new psychiatrist about 6 months ago and she has given me everything for anxiety except Benzos (I only want Clonzepam 1mg, nothing else or more).

But I found an old bottle of my Clonazepam 1mg a day and it had 43 left. I have been taking them once every morning with my Concerta and Suboxone and I am wondering if I should disclose this to my psych in a few days since she has to move forward on what next to prescribe me for my crippling anxiety disorder I have had for 14 years.

Should I disclose I found my bottle and started taking it and it has been life changing since I have at 0.5mgs a day instead of 1mg? Or just keep it to myself and keep explaining to her that Klonopin is the only thing that works and I understand and have experience the risks of withdrawal, dependence and everything with benzos, Klonopin in particular.

Just explain that you've had success in the past with being prescribed this particular drug, and ask if you can get a prescription for it. Have you already done this and been refused?

In any event, don't ever admit to any kind of drug use that happens outside the confines of what she herself prescribes. This is just a good rule of thumb for drugs generally-speaking: don't ever admit voluntarily to any kind of authority figure (cops, doctors, shrinks etc.) that you've taken it upon yourself to administer controlled substances to yourself. In the medical setting it has the potential to limit the kind of drugs you may be eligible to receive.

Just explain that you've had success in the past with being prescribed this particular drug, and ask if you can get a prescription for it. Have you already done this and been refused?

In any event, don't ever admit to any kind of drug use that happens outside the confines of what she herself prescribes. This is just a good rule of thumb for drugs generally-speaking: don't ever admit voluntarily to any kind of authority figure (cops, doctors, shrinks etc.) that you've taken it upon yourself to administer controlled substances to yourself. In the medical setting it has the potential to limit the kind of drugs you may be eligible to receive.
Well I would be telling her and showing her a prescription bottle with Klonopin I was prescribed several years ago. So is that still a no no?
And I have told her several times and first visit that for anxiety I took Klonopin 1mg a day and never anymore but never asked for her to prescribe it. She just prescribed 4 different types of drugs for anxiety after that anti depressants and buspur and all sorts of stuff besides benzos or Klonopin.

Yet feels fine giving me Adderall and Concerta which I barely even want. Althogh small doses of Concerta help my add and am starting to like it because it actually helps. But the Klonopin does more and she seems to not want to prescribe it even though it's on record I was scripted them for years and I have told her over the past 6 months Klonopin is the only anxiety med that works.

Well I would be telling her and showing her a prescription bottle with Klonopin I was prescribed several years ago. So is that still a no no?
And I have told her several times and first visit that for anxiety I took Klonopin 1mg a day and never anymore but never asked for her to prescribe it. She just prescribed 4 different types of drugs for anxiety after that anti depressants and buspur and all sorts of stuff besides benzos or Klonopin.

Yet feels fine giving me Adderall and Concerta which I barely even want. Althogh small doses of Concerta help my add and am starting to like it because it actually helps. But the Klonopin does more and she seems to not want to prescribe it even though it's on record I was scripted them for years and I have told her over the past 6 months Klonopin is the only anxiety med that works.
Most drs that I have dealt with have the meds they do not like to prescribe, sometimes it’s illogical and even can be a less dangerous med yet they had a bad experience with it or someone on it.
all you can do it tell her that it was very helpful in the past and you would like to try and use it again

You've got to explain to her the truth.

Everything you've been facing on a regular basis since you've been cut off from your old script--that you didn't abuse it (afaik lol), and that you're well aware of how klonopin dependence would affect you. Also, why the meds you're on aren't working for what you want them to work for and why.

Suboxone and klonopin.. while rarely lethal "could" definitely be depending on higher doses? I feel like you'd need to have a really understanding doctor--or a doctor that doesn't care about you lol. To be quite honest, sometimes the doctors that do not care about their patients that much ironically are the ones who prescribe what's needed easily (and what patients don't need and definitely abuse the hell out of). But that's another story.

You've got to explain to her the truth.

Everything you've been facing on a regular basis since you've been cut off from your old script--that you didn't abuse it (afaik lol), and that you're well aware of how klonopin dependence would affect you. Also, why the meds you're on aren't working for what you want them to work for and why.

Suboxone and klonopin.. while rarely lethal "could" definitely be depending on higher doses? I feel like you'd need to have a really understanding doctor--or a doctor that doesn't care about you lol. To be quite honest, sometimes the doctors that do not care about their patients that much ironically are the ones who prescribe what's needed easily (and what patients don't need and definitely abuse the hell out of). But that's another story.
That is what I am going to do, thank you.
She was willing to script me the Concerta right away and even ask me what dose I wanted.
But every month I mention how life changing Klonopin at 1mg/Day was and how it's been terrible ever since it's been gone and she never responds to it with a yes or no on the script, just well here is what I am going to prescribe you.
Like lady you have scripted me over 9 different anxiety meds, she is now out of them to script so last month she just said to stay on the Concerta and see how the anxiety goes.

This week I will explain that I need the 0.5mg or 1mg of Klonopin script or please change me to another psych in the office since there is like 6 or so of them. One of them writes my friend Valium and Xanax. I want him lol.

She seems to not care about me and write things right away over zoom, except Klonopin. She offered Adderall but I declined for Concerta because that is what worked in the past and surprise surprise, 2-3 months later it is still working fine and no "I am not taking this what is next". So she should know by now I know what works for me. And I have 0 criminal history, 30 years old and have been scripted Klonopin for over 4 years in the past and then they just took me off of it and it has been getting them off the street since (But if I admit that might not be good, maybe say I order Etizolam now since it's legal in the US).

It is now "black-listed" for prescribers/doctors to prescribe a benzo when the patient is on any type of controlled pain medications. While you may be taking the suboxone for addiction treatment or for pain, it does not make a difference in the eyes of the DEA. I have been in pain management for years as well as on klonopin for crippling anxiety for years and was told by both doctors I had to choose one or the other by Jan 31. You also have controlled meds for your ADD.
It sucks, but the DEA is going to start taking doctors licenses when they knowingly prescribe black-list meds together .

It is now "black-listed" for prescribers/doctors to prescribe a benzo when the patient is on any type of controlled pain medications. While you may be taking the suboxone for addiction treatment or for pain, it does not make a difference in the eyes of the DEA. I have been in pain management for years as well as on klonopin for crippling anxiety for years and was told by both doctors I had to choose one or the other by Jan 31. You also have controlled meds for your ADD.
It sucks, but the DEA is going to start taking doctors licenses when they knowingly prescribe black-list meds together .
Can I get a source on that? Because I know at least 7 people in my town that have methadone and xanax, morphine and valium and so on prescribed together. Also, I found the FDA and DEA warning doctors to limit the scripting of opioids and benzos together, or only prescribing when no other alternative med works (That is my case, she has prescribed Anti Depressants, BuSpar, Trazadone, Gabapentin etc shes out of options besides benzos).

Can I get a source on that? Because I know at least 7 people in my town that have methadone and xanax, morphine and valium and so on prescribed together. Also, I found the FDA and DEA warning doctors to limit the scripting of opioids and benzos together, or only prescribing when no other alternative med works (That is my case, she has prescribed Anti Depressants, BuSpar, Trazadone, Gabapentin etc shes out of options besides benzos).
Source is both my psychiatrist and pain management doctor, but I can try to find it elsewhere. Again, I have been prescribed both pain meds/klonopin for years but was informed I had to choose 1 because of new regulations and enforcement in 2021. So I will be tapering my klonopin. I'm not saying it wasn't prescribed before to people, but the DEA is now regulating this black-list more. I know of friends whose pharmacies refuse to fill both. My pharmacy has not went to that extreme yet.
I, too, have tried buspar, etc and none of it works. I basically am forced to choose pain or panic.

Source is both my psychiatrist and pain management doctor, but I can try to find it elsewhere. Again, I have been prescribed both pain meds/klonopin for years but was informed I had to choose 1 because of new regulations and enforcement in 2021. So I will be tapering my klonopin. I'm not saying it wasn't prescribed before to people, but the DEA is now regulating this black-list more. I know of friends whose pharmacies refuse to fill both. My pharmacy has not went to that extreme yet.
I, too, have tried buspar, etc and none of it works. I basically am forced to choose pain or panic.
Well hopefully I can get it in a few days if not I will let you guys know how it goes man. Thanks for the info. That would be bullshit though, we are adults and should be able to consume what we want, and be scripted what our doctors think we need.

I have a script for oxy and Xanax.
Consider yourself lucky that they have not cut one back. Not sure where you live, etc but it may be due to more lax laws.
OP, I sure hope you don't have to choose between one or the other. It's not fair and totally screws with people's mental health & lives. Best of luck.

So I was prescribed 1mg Klonopin once a day for about 5 years straight. A couple years ago they took me off cold turkey and I have been buying them off the street ever since.

I started seeing a new psychiatrist about 6 months ago and she has given me everything for anxiety except Benzos (I only want Clonzepam 1mg, nothing else or more).

But I found an old bottle of my Clonazepam 1mg a day and it had 43 left. I have been taking them once every morning with my Concerta and Suboxone and I am wondering if I should disclose this to my psych in a few days since she has to move forward on what next to prescribe me for my crippling anxiety disorder I have had for 14 years.

Should I disclose I found my bottle and started taking it and it has been life changing since I have at 0.5mgs a day instead of 1mg? Or just keep it to myself and keep explaining to her that Klonopin is the only thing that works and I understand and have experience the risks of withdrawal, dependence and everything with benzos, Klonopin in particular.
I've been prescribed Klonopin for a little over a year now to help with my sometimes scary af PTSD symptoms, and I would absolutely say that I'm dependent on them as well. That said, your former psychiatrist is batshit insane for stopping Klonopin cold turkey, even at 1mg per day (I'm on the same dosage). Abruptly stopping Klonopin especially after being on it for that long is super dangerous and can lead to seizures. While I've been able to cut back from 1.5mg to 1mg daily, both I and my psychiatrist recognize that I'm not ready to cut back further at the minute.

Assuming your new psychiatrist is actually willing to listen and work with you (my last psychiatrist definitely was not), I would definitely consider being up front and telling them something along the lines of "hey what I'm on isn't working so good, but in the past Klonopin has been helpful" and see what they say. I don't know that I'd actually disclose taking them without a valid script though. Upon further contemplation, even though you've been taking them without a current prescription, you've been taking them from a bottle that is legitimately yours and was legitimately prescribed to you. I'd say that if you have a strong impression that your new psychiatrist is willing to actually work with you and you can show that you're not abusing them (1mg per day for anxiety is not remotely abuse IMHO) then it may be helpful to tell them about that. I don't know that I'd disclose that bit of info unless you're absolutely positive that they won't immediately assume the worst. Psychiatrists can be funny, especially with benzos.

Your call though, but I'll just say that when I essentially begged my last psychiatrist to at least try a small dose she went off on a crazy tangent and quite literally said that I would likely "run out early and get more on the street," which is stupid because if I were going to do that I'd already have been doing so. Lo and behold a few weeks later I had a massive panic attack combined with flashbacks and ended up attempting suicide and legitimately came extremely close to death, and the doctor at the mental hospital I was sent to put me on Klonopin almost immediately.

Last edited:
I would of been since day 1 trying to get that script of kpin. 6 months and 4 wasted drugs? She is playing you. What have you gained from this shrink aside a bunch of receipts for your payments and tons of worthless pills?

Are you still buying kpins? Or are you off benzos? Has she been drug testing you? How did you magically stop 5 years of kpins?

Tell her straight up you need the kpins or you are out. Find a new doc.

Another way is to find a doc and let them know you are hooked on the kpin since your doctor cut you off. You been buying shady benzos wherever you can find them. Need help wtih a smooth taper.

The only problem is your subs. Here that is an automatic no no. You couldn't even handle opiates, and have no interest to stop opiates, so I would never script you a benzo. Guinea Pig pharma meds that ruin your brain? Sure, because I only care about my license and could really care less about you.

Fuck dr's for this kinda shit. Would I have been on Clonazepam my teeth would be ok. Instead of grinding them to pieces. A lot of my sleep disorders would have been dissolved. Restless legs.

No way a dr. will prescribe them period.

I've been prescribed Klonopin for a little over a year now to help with my sometimes scary af PTSD symptoms, and I would absolutely say that I'm dependent on them as well. That said, your former psychiatrist is batshit insane for stopping Klonopin cold turkey, even at 1mg per day (I'm on the same dosage). Abruptly stopping Klonopin especially after being on it for that long is super dangerous and can lead to seizures. While I've been able to cut back from 1.5mg to 1mg daily, both I and my psychiatrist recognize that I'm not ready to cut back further at the minute.

Assuming your new psychiatrist is actually willing to listen and work with you (my last psychiatrist definitely was not), I would definitely consider being up front and telling them something along the lines of "hey what I'm on isn't working so good, but in the past Klonopin has been helpful" and see what they say. I don't know that I'd actually disclose taking them without a valid script though. Upon further contemplation, even though you've been taking them without a current prescription, you've been taking them from a bottle that is legitimately yours and was legitimately prescribed to you. I'd say that if you have a strong impression that your new psychiatrist is willing to actually work with you and you can show that you're not abusing them (1mg per day for anxiety is not remotely abuse IMHO) then it may be helpful to tell them about that. I don't know that I'd disclose that bit of info unless you're absolutely positive that they won't immediately assume the worst. Psychiatrists can be funny, especially with benzos.

Your call though, but I'll just say that when I essentially begged my last psychiatrist to at least try a small dose she went off on a crazy tangent and quite literally said that I would likely "run out early and get more on the street," which is stupid because if I were going to do that I'd already have been doing so. Lo and behold a few weeks later I had a massive panic attack combined with flashbacks and ended up attempting suicide and legitimately came extremely close to death, and the doctor at the mental hospital I was sent to put me on Klonopin almost immediately.
She ended up prescribing me 0.5mg/day like I requested. She said she feared the danger of Suboxone and Benzo mixed, but spoke with my doctor that prescribes the Suboxone and she told her my body is already tolerant to benzos/Klonopin and has been for 10+ Years so there is no danger above 2mg/Day I think she said.

I would of been since day 1 trying to get that script of kpin. 6 months and 4 wasted drugs? She is playing you. What have you gained from this shrink aside a bunch of receipts for your payments and tons of worthless pills?

Are you still buying kpins? Or are you off benzos? Has she been drug testing you? How did you magically stop 5 years of kpins?

Tell her straight up you need the kpins or you are out. Find a new doc.

Another way is to find a doc and let them know you are hooked on the kpin since your doctor cut you off. You been buying shady benzos wherever you can find them. Need help wtih a smooth taper.

The only problem is your subs. Here that is an automatic no no. You couldn't even handle opiates, and have no interest to stop opiates, so I would never script you a benzo. Guinea Pig pharma meds that ruin your brain? Sure, because I only care about my license and could really care less about you.
I told her I wanted to try the Klonopin at 0.5mg a Day again. And after speaking with my Suboxone doctor, she agreed and I have them now. Finally. Jeez. Yeah almost was a waste. She didn't care about benzos, long term benzo use. Only the Suboxone and Klonopin mixture. But once she learned I had been taking them off script for years after my doctor took me off them she wrote it up and they're being delivered to my house now with 27mg Concerta and Hydrozline for sleep.

Thanks. Has this happened to you? I was trying to decide whether or not to tell my psychiatrist about my drug use. I’m prescribed 2 controlled substances currently, one for sleep and the other for anxiety. I was concerned about her refusing to prescribe them if I told her.

I once told my psychiatrist that I had read online that some people have had benefit from Klonopin for anxiety. He said he won't prescribe that, and judging from his behaviour since, I think he thinks I'm a drug seeker. :oops: