Mental Health Klonopin compared to Xanax?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
My doctor wants to switch me from my Xanax to Klonopin as it's longer acting. She wants to keep the dose the same tho. So my question is would 1mg of Klonopin be roughly the same as 1mg Xanax as far as strength?

They're roughly equally potent yes. So you may find the clonazepam a little 'weaker' since it's going to have less of a peak. On the other hand, it may feel smoother, and personally I'd prefer it. See how you go.

Yeah I think I'll give it a go once i go through the rest of my current xanax script. Thx.

Although they are equally potent IME clonazepam feels way weaker than alprazolam. Because as CFC wrote clonazepam lacks the alprazolam rush i.e. they have less of a peak. However I also seem to like clonazepam better.... not quite sure yet. Haven't done enough testing. :) I'd prefer to have both at hand. One short and one long acting benzo. Perhaps you can convince your doc to switch to clonazepam, but also get some alprazolam for panic attacks.

Although they are equally potent IME clonazepam feels way weaker than alprazolam. Because as CFC wrote clonazepam lacks the alprazolam rush i.e. they have less of a peak. However I also seem to like clonazepam better.... not quite sure yet. Haven't done enough testing. :) I'd prefer to have both at hand. One short and one long acting benzo. Perhaps you can convince your doc to switch to clonazepam, but also get some alprazolam for panic attacks.

This. Clonazepam works well but in my mind I always felt I could find something better to manage my anxiety. Sometimes so bad that I'll stare at my front door, pace around the house and get nothing done. Xlonazapam ( in my opinion works well for people who get nervous around other people. Alprazolam made me not care if people are talking about me, judging me( even if they weren't that how I felt). I could go outside and be normal. But it doesn't last as long, made me extremely tired and the time between doses I could feel w/d symptoms. Hope this helps and obviously ever drug affects people different. But but this is my experience with the benzodiazepines I've been on.

Klonopin might feel SLIGHTLY weaker, but its pretty close to the same in strength. It is generally worth it though because it lasts longer. It's also said to be less addictive, and you wont have to worry as much about anxiety in between doses. In my experience the withdrawals last longer if you do become dependent on it though. In my opinion, overall klonopin is a better medication than xanax

If I remember right, they're both approved for panic. For most people, xanax acts fast but lasts for a shorter period of time, while klonopin lasts much longer and also has a longer half-life, so leaves the system more slowly.

If your taking benzos for social anxiety, or just GAD in general, nothing beats Clonazepam. The long half-life means you need to dose less than you would with Alprazolam, and it makes it easier to taper off it should you eventually decide to.

If your taking benzos for social anxiety, or just GAD in general, nothing beats Clonazepam. The long half-life means you need to dose less than you would with Alprazolam, and it makes it easier to taper off it should you eventually decide to.
Thanks bro. My doc who really doesn't give a shit gave me Xanax recently, it's good to know Clonazepam is easier to taper off. I want to be off benzos for good.

I agree with MP. Knowing what I know now I would wholeheartedly recommend clonazepam over xanax for people with anxiety disorders. Especially if its something you take daily.