• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Klonopin and Driving

Aquais94

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, I read the driver’s handbook and it says benzodiazepines may impair your driving skills, I take Klonopin 0.5 3x a day for almost 2 1/2 years, and I had no side effects, but I naturally a slacker but I do drink caffeine (normally pepsi) around 1.2L a day (2x 591ml) that makes 126mg, and I felt more alert, and even I felt active.

Few months after I began taking Klonopin for the first time for Anxiety and Panic Disorder that was caused by Prozac that made my Anxiety worse, I rode a bicycle on a sidewalk and I was fine has no trouble with the coordination skills and cognitive skills, but Prozac did affect my concentration, but I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder in which it affects my concentration. I get brain fog, and get depressed during the wintertime. almost 2 months ago, I was Ice skating and I was fine, watched out the children, so they won’t accidentally bump on me, I take a lot of risk, and have good sense of judgement, but at that time, I began drinking pepsi, I started on a 355ml (38mg) for few days, then 591ml (63mg) for 2 weeks, then 710ml (76mg) for a week, then 1.2L (2x 591ml bottles of pepsis) (126mg, but i refill the 591ml bottle with my 2L of pepsi, that i do fill it to the top, that could make 600ml (65mg) in which 2 of them makes 130mg) but I am chronic caffeine drinker for almost 2 months. I drink it because it clears the fog from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and to keep me awake. As far as I can tell, If i haven’t drink caffeine for like over 12 hours or few days, I would end up with a withdrawal that is considered as hellish that I would get fogged up, drowsy, and get depressed. If I drink 591ml of pepsi, the withdrawal (including brain fog, drowsy and depression) will disappear.

But anyways, I know Klonopin can cause drowsiness, coordination and cognitive impairments that will affect the driving skills, but I know that caffeine counteracts with Klonopin will increase alertness, improve coordination and cognitive skills.

Do you think people on a low dose of Klonopin can drive while on caffeine in moderation, to prevent from being Pullover by the Police? Because of caffeine induced alertness.

As long as you're very accustomed to the doses you're driving on and they're not nearing blackout territory, sure.

As long as you're very accustomed to the doses you're driving on and they're not nearing blackout territory, sure.

I take it as prescribed by my doctor. About the Klonopin that affects the driving skills like coordination, cognition, does it count when you ride on a bicycle and even ice skating, because I have no impairments but I know that I do get impairments from brain fog (due to caffeine withdrawals and having Seasonal Affective Disorder, because I know that my fog cleared up in the summertime before I got into caffeine), I was planning to talk to my school counselor for more information, and request to get tested by the police for any impairments that would affect my driving skills, because I'm studying and planning to get my learner's license, because I'm planning to get a Motorcycle License. also on top of that, I never got dizzy or drowsiness while on Klonopin.

But the only impairments that I don't get during the brain fog is coordination, and psychomotor (walking, skating, etc).

In germany you need to go to a doctor to get a professional opinion whether you are allowed to drive or not.

I'm from Canada, I am thinking about talking to my doctor in the few weeks. Because I seemed fine with caffeine, but it's short-acting, so twice a day is good enough. even without one, like 2 months before I start drinking caffeine, I have no signs of drowsiness, except for after meal drowsiness.

But I cannot stop caffeine abruptly, because it can cause me to go into a brain fog, tiredness and depression (due to Caffeine Withdrawals and seasonal affective disorder), as I am a chronic caffeine drinker.

I've been taking 1mg (sometimes even 2mg) of Clonazepam every day for over a year now. I noticed the drowsiness and "spaced out" feeling was gone within the first week. I've never had any problems with motor skills, or blacking out while at the wheel, even in the beginning. I think you'll be alright, with or without caffeine. Especially since you have somewhat of a tolerance like me.

NEVER DRIVE WHILE UNDER THE INFLUECNCE OF PSYCHOACTIVE SUBSTANCES. I have taken several substances and decided to drive...I cannot say that not a single time did i FEEL comfortable driving. You and ONLY you know you tolerance and dependence. I have been on Klonopin 2mg x2 daily for around 5 years. I NEVER had an issuse unless I decided to drink or play with Alprazolam.

I've been taking 1mg (sometimes even 2mg) of Clonazepam every day for over a year now. I noticed the drowsiness and "spaced out" feeling was gone within the first week. I've never had any problems with motor skills, or blacking out while at the wheel, even in the beginning. I think you'll be alright, with or without caffeine. Especially since you have somewhat of a tolerance like me.

I never got black out while riding on a bicycle but I did felt dizzy, due to Prozac withdrawals. It also happened while walking during the summer almost 2 years ago, when I felt faint, but last year, it went away without problems. Prozac withdrawals are hellish. I refused to quit benzos because I know many former benzos who quit it and had a terrible withdrawals, worse than Prozac. And what's a black out while driving? because I never experienced a blackout before.

Last edited:
NEVER DRIVE WHILE UNDER THE INFLUECNCE OF PSYCHOACTIVE SUBSTANCES. I have taken several substances and decided to drive...I cannot say that not a single time did i FEEL comfortable driving. You and ONLY you know you tolerance and dependence. I have been on Klonopin 2mg x2 daily for around 5 years. I NEVER had an issuse unless I decided to drink or play with Alprazolam.

I only take caffeine (Pepsi 20oz twice a day, a hour after Klonopin dosage each, except for third Klonopin dose for bed) and Klonopin 0.5mg 3 times a day.

I have been on and of Benzos for approximately 12 years, steady for the past 2 I take 1mg in the morning after my coffe and 2mg in the evening. I drive for work 2-3 times a week and does not impair my driving skills. You are riding a bike, I think you will be fine, especially being on a low dose.

You should be fine then. Unless you are hypersensitive to benzodiazepines you should be fine. Though when I feel a little...dizzy...I just drink a nice cup of coffee and it helps. Over time your driving coordination should improve

You should be fine then. Unless you are hypersensitive to benzodiazepines you should be fine. Though when I feel a little...dizzy...I just drink a nice cup of coffee and it helps. Over time your driving coordination should improve
My dizziness was from the Prozac Withdrawal at that time, but it went away almost a year later.