• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Klonopin and Cannabis interaction?

Generic84

Bluelighter
Is it true that Klonopin messes with a Cannabis high? I read about it on a few forums, that said it might mess with the GABA receptors?

I don't feel like it messes with the high at all but one thing is for sure that it is a COMPLETELY safe combo.

I don't know what you mean by "mess with the GABA receptors" but obviously Klonopin works on GABA A receptors.

For some people if you get anxious while high, like me, Klonopin might help.

However, I felt it never really helped that much for it honestly even though Klonopin does help with my normal daily anxiety.

Maybe some people might feel like Klonopin could mess with the psychedelic aspect of Cannabis because people say that benzos mess with certain aspects of Psychedelics but of course Weed isnt' really a psychedelic, but either way it's not something I've ever noticed.

Anyways, it's a completely safe combo, whether or not you'll like the way it feels is a different story but you might as well try it out.

I just reccomend you don't dose too high with the Klonopin cause it might just end up making you tired and groggy and ruin your high.

If you have no tolerance to benzos (klonopin) it'll increase the sedation, drowsiness, relaxation, and put you in a more sleepy state. Will make you less anxious as well. What the above poster said may be true about it decreasing some of the 'psychedelic' or initial 'stimulating' effects, I couldn't tell you. I take 3mg kpin/day. For a high majority of people they aren't dangerous to combine alone, take caution if you are on any other meds and check interactions. Just don't be doing something where you need to be alert or focused, like driving, yeah :)

Ive always liked this combination. I felt that that the Klonopin really mellowed out the experience

From my experience benzos are more likely to dull the cannabis euphoria than 'mess' with the high.

As with opiates, this paradoxical increase is explained by the fact that the dopaminergic neurons in this circuit do not have CB1 receptors, but are normally inhibited by GABAergic neurons that do have them. The cannabis removes this inhibition by the GABA neurons and hence activates the dopamine neurons.

This is from http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_03/i_03_m/i_03_m_par/i_03_m_par_cannabis.html

From what I gather, cannabis seems to remove the inhibition by the GABA neurons and thus activates the dopamine neurons. Clonazepam also relieves the brain of GABA inhibition so this combo will have an additive effect on sedation.

My conclusion is that there shouldn't be any sort of interaction to worry about. :D

Ill say this about the combo: I feel exactly the same with only klonopin as I do with klonopin + weed.

Ill say this about the combo: I feel exactly the same with only klonopin as I do with klonopin + weed.

Agreed, and i wish it weren't the case as someone who often enjoys weed less cause of the anxiety, but for me, even despite how much Klonopin helps with NORMAL anxiety, for whatever odd reason it doesn't relieve cannabis induced anxiety/negative thinking for me.

It would be interesting to find out why, since Klonopin helps so much with other types of daily anxiety for me.

It can also help with anxiety produced by certain other substances, like caffeine induced anxiety goes away with the QUICKNESS if I take Klonopin, but Weed induced anxiety??

Nope, Klonopin has no effect on it.

VERY strange to me.

Anyone wanna venture a guess as to why???

Agree completely. It's completely safe though, I've taken and given friends xanax clonopin and weed with no problems whatsoever.

Agreed, and i wish it weren't the case as someone who often enjoys weed less cause of the anxiety, but for me, even despite how much Klonopin helps with NORMAL anxiety, for whatever odd reason it doesn't relieve cannabis induced anxiety/negative thinking for me.

It would be interesting to find out why, since Klonopin helps so much with other types of daily anxiety for me.

It can also help with anxiety produced by certain other substances, like caffeine induced anxiety goes away with the QUICKNESS if I take Klonopin, but Weed induced anxiety??

Nope, Klonopin has no effect on it.

VERY strange to me.

Anyone wanna venture a guess as to why???

Because haven't you been on it for like 10 years?

It's extremely relaxing but it does detract heavily from the psychedelic aspect of weed. It almost completely eliminates the head high for me, but brings its own aspect to the experience.

Xanax however doesn't do that to me for some reason. The head high is still present plus the extreme relaxation. If you get anxiety when you smoke, Xanax would be your best bet (occasionally of course, this is how habits develop) because it only enhances the high instead of detracting.

Of course, all that I've said above is my own experience. It could be different for you.

Because haven't you been on it for like 10 years?

I WAS on Klonopin for 11 years and stopped completely for 9 months and lost almost all my tolerance.

Now I only take it as needed, a few days a week.

But it's true I haven't smoked weed on Klonopin since I started again and lost my tolerance, so MAYBE the combo might have more effect than it used to.

I see. I'm surprised you aren't having a kindling effect taking them that often.

I WAS on Klonopin for 11 years and stopped completely for 9 months and lost almost all my tolerance.

Curious how you were feeling during the 9 months? Did you experience any of the symptoms which are usually ascribed to benzo withdrawal?

(sorry if you have answered this already I didn't see it.)

What do you mean by that?

What is a "kindling effect"??

My guess: Kindling

Kindling due to substance withdrawal, refers to the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from sedative-hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines. Each withdrawal leads to more severe withdrawal symptoms than the previous withdrawal syndrome.

Individuals who have had more withdrawal episodes are at an increased risk of very severe withdrawal symptoms, up to and including seizures. Withdrawal from GABAergic acting sedative-hypnotic drugs causes acute GABA-under-activity as well as glutamate over-activity which can lead to sensitization and hyper-excitability of the central nervous system, excito-neurotoxicity and increasingly profound neuroadaptions.

Curious how you were feeling during the 9 months? Did you experience any of the symptoms which are usually ascribed to benzo withdrawal?

(sorry if you have answered this already I didn't see it.)

My guess: Kindling

To Sigmond and Snake Eyes:

Nope, no problems.

I seem to be a complete enigma in that I took Klonopin every day for 11 years and even despite being cut off quite abruptly without even a real proper taper (I KIND of tapered...took less for a week before stopping...but not a STRICT taper)......and despite all that....all I ever experienced was one day where I felt kind of shitty.

Some people on this forum tell me that my case is the most puzzling and extreme one they've ever heard of of someone using a benzo daily for YEARS on end and still experiencing not even a hint of any real withdrawal upon stopping.

I still basically have to "take it on faith" that Klonopin is an addictive substance.

I mean I KNOW that it is of course...but somehow I am just lucky with it.

Now that I no longer use it EVERY day, and more likely 4 or 5 days a week...I still have no issues with WD (knock on wood).

I just try to make sure that I go without it 2 or 3 days each week...and never exceed 1.5mgs, and I'm all good.

appreciate the reply mycophile.

I believe you mentioned drinking a fair amount of coffee daily. Does the caffeine ever diminish the effect of the klonopin?
I ask because this seems to happen.

thanks again