• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Kids and drugs

I think a lot of people on this board are too hypocritical, and we don't exactly set a shining example to the "yoof of today". There are so many posts out there saying how "fucked up" everyone got on the weekend that if a young person were to stumble on to this board, its almost as if we were condoning excessive drug use and encouraging it. (but... hang on, we are!)
14 is too young. This is not my opinion, but a medically proven fact. Your body is in its most important development phase and drugs will do nothing to help that.
Sowle, you sound like a smart kid. In fact, you sound smarter than a good proportion of people on this board, but I think being that cluey at that age can be damaging in a way. You can read up on the effects it has on the brain, body, society etc and feel like you are well clued in to whats going on. But you are too young to be messing with stuff like this. I know you will probably scoff at this and possibly write that you are the exception to the rule, and that you know you are smart enough to handle it. I think if you really are as cluey as you make out, then you would respect the fact that your body and mind are too precious to fuck up at this stage, and that these drugs are ALWAYS going to be around, so if you wait another 5 years, it will be a lot safer.
My brother is 14. He has never had a smoke and has never got drunk. When I was 14 I was smoking bongs (I dont smoke anymore, but I believe it did take its toll) I believe naivety is a blessing, not a curse. I would prefer him to go through school without drugs, but I know they will cross his path sooner of later, and because he reminds me of me when I was that age, then i'm sure he will dabble in it. But I want to be around him and tell him that it can wait.
Teenages want to be treated with respect. When adults say "drugs are bad, drugs are bad", then go outside for a cigarette and a scotch, what kind of example is that setting?
That is why decriminalisation is a good step. But I wont go there.
I have heaps to say on this issue but i'll wait til a little later
horse :)

Hmm...
Does anyone here think the time they took their first E (MDMA) made any impact on the effect they gained from it. E.g Would a 14 year old be able to describe the feeling as anything more than large pupils, rise in body temp. etc.. I mean how mentally developed are you? The older you are for your first E the more life experience you have had.. therefore possibly the more to expand on/heighten? e.g feelings of love, empathy etc. I really have no idea because I did not experience E at a young age, just proposing a theory as most people recall their first MDMA experience as the best for whatever reasons. What age were you guys when taking your first E (MDMA) and what sort of effect did it have - same as what it does now?
teX

I can see where you're coming from texman, however I'm sure that anyone, even a very young child would be able to say that an MDMA experience made them extremely happy and close to people. A 14 year old, while maybe not as experienced nor as capable at expressing themselves as someone say 5 years older, should still be able to give a correct account of what mdma is like.
I would only ever recommend to a young person that they do not take drugs which alter their concsiousness upon the grounds that they're still developing in body & mind, however I would never try to stop or forbid them.
[ 21 January 2002: Message edited by: Plague Bearer ]

Go Adikkal and his:
Say Know to Drugs
I first heard that at the Ecstacy confrence, if any of you havent heard the webcasts on
http://www.soros.org/ I recommend everyone go listen. Got lots of interesting stuff.

i must disagree with a few points raised in this thread, through personal experience.
i started smoking bongs at 12. i started taking acid at 13, speed etc. and pills at 14. to be completely honest with you, i doubt it's had any negative effects on my brain or its ability to function; indeed, given the state of many posts by 'older and wiser' people, i feel blessed that i got it all out of my system early. yes, i took lots of acid when i was too young to appreciate the mind-altering qualitites and the introspective analysis it induces. yes, i shot H at 14. but then when i was forced to leave australia and come to britain at age 15, i gave up all drugs for 18 months while i finished school... and that really helped, because lots of ppl who are 'sheltered' suddenly discover drugs/alcohol/girls/boys and fuck up. everyone knows of a star student at school who finally turned 18 and drank themselves into oblivion... i consider myself lucky to have experienced pretty much all i wanted to at an early age.
i finished my a-levels - hsc equivalent - at 16, and i'm off to uni this year to study history. so my mental function doesn't seem too impaired. to be honest, i think drug use is such a personal thing that you really can't generalise.
jonah - sowle & myself may have known our minds completely at 14. or 12. intellectual maturity is a funny thing - it can be present without your conscious knowledge, but it can guide you through some strange situations - getting robbed at knifepoint for a sheet of acid and talking your way out of the situation at age 13 for example...
people differ. horses for courses. i'm not suggesting it's ok for youngsters to does all the time, but stop and think - i know plenty, and i do mean plenty, of 25yo's that i don't think should be allowed near drugs.
peace :)

WOW!! I am truly shocked by this topic!!
I had no idea as to the extent of drug use in kids... where is society going??
I had no idea that they were starting so young.
what's the solution?
I know it's hard to generalise an age but maybe you need to. Once that is done you can de-criminalise the stuff and let people make their choices - people old enough to do so!...
Look at this thread - does it sound like school kids should be doing drugs???
web page

^^^are you sarcastic or serious?^^^
cause if you're serious, how can you have been shocked by this thread? how many kids do you see drinking coffee, getting drunk, sneaking cigarettes or being obviously stoned??? a fair few i'd imagine...
i don't think there is a solution because it's unlikely kids behavioural patterns will drastically change for the better... i think harm reduction is the way forwards. better education, less bullshit.

one of the first raves i went to when coming to aussie was one on nye called love nation. yes it was an all ager but wot shocked me the most (still does) was seeing this girl who looked 12 on e.
my sister reckoned she was probably 15 or 16 and i probably dont know how old people those ages look. but it was like the majority of people in attendance was 15-17 years. this girl looked a lot younger.
personally i tried pot when i was 18, didnt try the others till i was nearly 21!! E was the next thing i tried, its still my drug of choice, i didnt get into pot, still havent.
i have mates who did magic mushrooms at 15 and at 19 are still doing drugs (but not mushies anymore)
but they smoke a hell of alot of pot!!

"When I take drugs, it's in the vain attempt to recapture some of the pure feelings and thoughts manifested in the years of my life where my brain had a quarter of the neural connectivity it has now."
A 12 year old on MDMA would be very interesting.

There are a few major problems in my opinion with younger people having access to hard drugs:
1. Money
Where is a kid gonna get $40 for a pill? They're gonna break into your car and steal from your wallet.
2. Health
It is my opinion that a rapidly developing body should be subjected to as little chemical alteration as possible throughout puberty.
3. Adulthood
Hard drugs and the subculture that surrounds them are very much an adult world. In general, in terms of pills at least, the 'drug world' is quite scrubbed up and neath, however at some level or another there are high stakes, actions and consequences that should remain beyond the horizon of children's experiences. Children are naturally curious and eager for experiences, you just can't go back to being a kid again once you experience certain facets of life.
4. Parties
This has a lot to do with adults too. Kids on drugs is a totally different subject to underage rave parties, but the two are intertwined for many reasons. I remember a post on the subject (linked below) where it was mentioned that there are all-ages events in Holland now where parents who had their partying time a few years back and have since started families are taking their children along to hear the music. "No beer, no joints, no nothing but music. Pretty cool, I must say" - aj
Here's a thread in social on the same topic: Drug Fucked Kiddies
Young people HATE being patronised, but they also won't take no for an answer. It brings me back to one of my favourite moral dilemmas:
If you had a 12-14 year old cousin who asked you for pills, what would you do?
a. Scold them and tell them to wait til they're older.
b. Give them scare tactic information to make them wait until they're older.
c. Give them good information knowing they will get pills from somewhere.
d. Give them good information and tested pills.
e. Give them a fake pill.
f. Tell their parents.
g. Bail on the issue and walk away.
Most people I know would try a half arsed combination of a, b and c - which looks on paper remarkably like the Government's approach to drug education. Options f and g aren't really solutions to the dilemma, they're more like a way of passing the buck. Option d doesn't feel right because whilst you'd know they were reducing the risks involved, they'd still be running into the four problems I mentioned above. It's a difficult situation to solve IMHO, but one that will probably become far more prevalent.
I sometimes wish young people weren't in such a hurry to grow up.
BigTrancer :)
[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]