Kicking Oxy, need advice.

chief ten beers

Bluelighter
Well after a year of using, and relying on them to function, I need to kick oxy. I've been off of them for a few days now and am going into withdrawals. I feel horrible, depressed, no mental spark, nausea, constipation, chills etc. This really sucks, I've used them for a year and they have made me feel like a normal person, it's alleviated my depression and my back pain and gave me a false sense of confidence and security. It really has been a miracle drug for me, but now without them I feel like a hollow shell. I'm not even sure how I'm going to function at work today. How deceptive that stuff is, you have it and the world is your oyster, without them you become a miserable wreck. So for those who have been where I am, what do you suggest to get through this? I feel awful, suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks:(

I'm very much in your same shoes right now CTB. I'm working on figuring out the mental aspects of it at this moment and have been for quite some time. Do you have any gabapentin or lyrica? I'm taking about 150mg of Lyrica/day and that helps with the chills and aches quite a bit, but I'm staying cognizant of not getting a habit on the Lyrica. Only taking it when I just can't move (mainly mornings). Using Diphenhydramine for sleep.

I'll sub this thread and try to ride this out with you a bit. I concur on the depression and anxiety being rough. It really is a battle just an hour/day/week at a time.

Good vibes to ya!!

-SK

I don't suggest anyone quitting cold turkey EVER. I like my detox plan of Suboxone tapered the first week and methadone for 5 days when the sub wears off. . That way you don't gain a dependency on either and the opiates leave your system. That with clonidine and benzos and whiskey.
Programs help . I wish I stuck with mine . Paws almost led me to commit suicide. I actually excepted that as the only option and I was OK with it... Hang in there guys.... Really it doesn't have to be so painful.. sub and dones are a life saver as long as you are careful... What about kratom ?? It can be ordered online. Or head shops have it usually.
You don't have to this alone either . I heard you can go on disability leave for drug recovery. So maybe you can keep your job. Why not look into this and check into somewhere..

I don't suggest anyone quitting cold turkey EVER. I like my detox plan of Suboxone tapered the first week and methadone for 5 days when the sub wears off. . That way you don't gain a dependency on either and the opiates leave your system. That with clonidine and benzos and whiskey.
Programs help . I wish I stuck with mine . Paws almost led me to commit suicide. I actually excepted that as the only option and I was OK with it... Hang in there guys.... Really it doesn't have to be so painful.. sub and dones are a life saver as long as you are careful... What about kratom ?? It can be ordered online. Or head shops have it usually.
You don't have to this alone either . I heard you can go on disability leave for drug recovery. So maybe you can keep your job. Why not look into this and check into somewhere..
Thanks for the reply's guys. the guy who got me into this mess, who I work with is going to start tapering me down. But I'm starting to really loathe myself for putting myself into this situation. I stayed at a job that I hate and in a miserable basement for almost a year, because the stuff just makes you feel like everything is just a ok. But it's not. I no longer have a wife or family around me to help me and I need to get the energy up to move to where I still have family. the oxy's make you go out and do stuff, without them I'm depressed and it's hard for me to stay motivated. These gave me a false sense of confidence and security, I've accomplished some things while on them. But I've not yet tried to stop them until recently and holy shit I didn't realize the demon I've been playing with...it won't leave you with out a fight. I can see how people stay addicted all their lives. People have even said I look older just within a few months, how am i going to feel without them? Will I ever feel like my old self again? What a horrible thing I introduced into my life, It's going to take everything I have to cast it out. But Yeah I'm thinking about picking up some Kratom and start really getting off of this shit by any means necessary including treatment. Which I'm starting to really consider as necessary.

Ten beers, hang in there man. Absolutely you will feel better. Usually on quick acting opiates the worst of the WDs are over in 3-5 days. At least the physical parts. I was an addict for 5+ years doing any hard painkiller I could get my hands on. During that span I quit for about 9 months cold turkey sober but after I moved back to the city I came from and hanging out with my old buddies I ended up relapsing. As of now I'm about a week sober and feel literally worlds better than I did on the first day. I started running out of money so at the end for about a week or two I wasn't even getting high really just using to keep from WD and stretching whatever minor PKs I could touch. This is important to mention I think bc since I wasn't using heavily all day everyday the two weeks leading up to quitting it's made the WDs fade quicker... I've also been through it before so I know what to expect I guess, but it's still hell. Here's what's helped me best this go around, The anxiety can be crippling so I've been taking very small doses of xanax about .25 mg and only when I really feel anxious and depressed. This doesn't address the cravings for opiates though. For that I've been using kratom, If you haven't heard of it a quick google search will probably provide you with the jist of it. But it's a natural herb that binds to the same mu receptors as opiates do so it can drastically reduce WD effects. I've been taking extremely small doses of this as well as it recommends about 3G at a time to start, I've only been taking a 1g capsule at a time. Haven't even taken one today to be honest as I haven't felt that cravings have been that bad. Bluelight is a phenomenal tool, whenever I'm feeling vulnerable I get on here and read people's stories and interact. It really can do wonders. Finding stuff to do in your inevitable boredom is key too. I've vested a deep interest in fitness and shaping my body to cope with the empty hours I used to fill with drug use. Hopefully some of this proves useful to you. Best of luck brother.
Godspeed.

Thanks for the reply's guys. the guy who got me into this mess, who I work with is going to start tapering me down. But I'm starting to really loathe myself for putting myself into this situation. I stayed at a job that I hate and in a miserable basement for almost a year, because the stuff just makes you feel like everything is just a ok. But it's not. I no longer have a wife or family around me to help me and I need to get the energy up to move to where I still have family. the oxy's make you go out and do stuff, without them I'm depressed and it's hard for me to stay motivated. These gave me a false sense of confidence and security, I've accomplished some things while on them. But I've not yet tried to stop them until recently and holy shit I didn't realize the demon I've been playing with...it won't leave you with out a fight. I can see how people stay addicted all their lives. People have even said I look older just within a few months, how am i going to feel without them? Will I ever feel like my old self again? What a horrible thing I introduced into my life, It's going to take everything I have to cast it out. But Yeah I'm thinking about picking up some Kratom and start really getting off of this shit by any means necessary including treatment. Which I'm starting to really consider as necessary.

Be careful with Kratom if you use I too long there is also withdrawl from that , I havnt really found it to be that effective though,well in terms of getting an opiate like feeling . Also if you think treatment may help I think that would be a good idea ,you don't have to go to residential either if you don't want too , they have outpatient
As well

I'm expected to be at work in a few hours but feeling the way I do I don't even know how that would be possible at this point. I may have to call in and if I still feel this awful tomorrow then I'm going to have to check myself in.

How ya hanging in there dude? Think you're gonna make it to work? I'm getting through the workday myself. I'm really slow at work since we're getting bought out, so at least it's just chill at the desk. I stupidly unblocked my connect today but I think he will be blocked again by evening. No hook up yet and don't have anything legit at the house. I have some kratom, but I'm staying away from it for now. It does carry its own set of problems if you stay on it too long. That and it's a bit too stimulating for my liking. I don't care for my nerves being fired up more than normal.

-SK

Well I had to call in, I'm in no shape for working today. Holy crap this shit is evil, I wish I never ever started down this slippery path down to the abyss I now find myself in.

Have you tried kratom yet to help with the WD? Or any type of benzo in a low dose to help improve the feeling of hopelessness and depression? Both very effective in my experience.

What you are going through is totally normal and it shall pass rather quickly. You don't have a long history of addiction but know that these feelings of sadness and discomfort will pass, and you'll be better. I have used opiates for decades, the first time is the easiest one for some people. I would not try to taper so much in order to avoid carrying on feeling down and sick.

If you can get some comfortable meds, through a doctor that will help. But given the time you've used you should be able to go on and quit this at once. In a week from now all you'll be feeling is nostalgia and a bit of sadness. It will pass! Just hold on for few more days and you'll be fine.

Keep posting and get busy, it really helps. You can do this!

Take care,
Erik

What you are going through is totally normal and it shall pass rather quickly. You don't have a long history of addiction but know that these feelings of sadness and discomfort will pass, and you'll be better. I have used opiates for decades, the first time is the easiest one for some people. I would not try to taper so much in order to avoid carrying on feeling down and sick.

If you can get some comfortable meds, through a doctor that will help. But given the time you've used you should be able to go on and quit this at once. In a week from now all you'll be feeling is nostalgia and a bit of sadness. It will pass! Just hold on for few more days and you'll be fine.

Keep posting and get busy, it really helps. You can do this!

Take care,
Erik
I do appreciate the words of encouragement because I really have no support at the moment. I'm tapering and am concerned how it's going to feel being the old depressed me with back pain without them. These have proven so beneficial to me regarding functionality in life. I've had problems with alcohol for years and these helped me stay off the booze, concentrate, alevite my depression and back pain...I was thinking this is total win for me. Well I can see the honeymoon is over and I have a serious problem here and I'm filled with anxiety, uncertainty, and severe depression.

Last edited:
Hope youre hanging in. I'm on day 10 after quitting a 300+mg/day oxycodone problem. Hell is an understatement. The original pain that started all this is back with a vengeance. I'm using cannabis as often as I can which is a great help. But no sleep and these crazy restless legs are driving me insane. Ive already got rid of my known stashes but I'm starting to think about the rest still tucked away. This crap was sent straight from hell!

Wow you've made it 10 with a stash, that is some resolve. It's so easy to "fix" if your in discomfort if they are at your disposal but keep it up. Your on the way out if you made it 10 days, try to keep going. I now see why they stopped prescribing this stuff like they used too, because as you said it's a gift from hell.

Ten Beers I swear I was reading my own thoughts for a bit there. I am on day two and I guess I can see a bit of a difference. I've had the help of xanex and pot to help though. Sparingly though... ready to feel my self again.

Now I'm in the fight off my life I can see that. I'm so used to working on the shit that without them I feel as though I'm only at half capacity, back pain and depression return with a vengeance. So what to do but do more of it to function and get through your shift. I have to train people right now and trying to do that feeling horrible isn't something I can handle. So the addiction goes on, only I stopped putting it up my nose and have been supplementing with Kratom. I hate what I've gotten myself into, what a horrible affliction it is. I'm determined to get out of this thing though but holy shit did I complicate my life by making this shit my best friend.

Ya it's pretty evil. Pure hell getting off of it. There is a reason why every addict I know will say DONT DO HEROINE.
I was told that before I started and didn't listen ...
Through out my addiction there would be times i would ask "why did i do this to myself" ? I think at one point I was doing SO MUCH I was making myself sick. Like shooting up ALL DAY like every few hours. I was throwing up constantly and hovering over the toilet bowl just .... "Why" was the only thing going through my head. Not why was I sick but why I kept making myself sick. I was REALLY unhealthy... living in a really dirty motel. Il never forget the smell... roaches bed bugs. Ew. Anyway... Heck it took me a year to quit from the time I decided I wanted to. Before then it never even crossed my mind lol. I was completely nuts... I had alot of money too..

I'm sure you are probably thinking about treatment... I checked into a detox,(after calling every day for 3weeks checking availability) it was only 5 five days. They gave me Suboxone . Idk if you have had any info on that but it wears off 3 days after your last dose(72hour half life). So I was really sick 3days after I left detox and started using again. The whole thing was ridiculous to me BUT I learned a great deal. The whole support thing really helped. Some months after that I quit on my own with sub. I went to the mountains,tapered over a month and ate percocet to help me when I stopped the sub.. I was ok.. just felt like I got hit by a bus. Very weak.
Anyway , hey I know you said you were using kratom. And you have probably heard bad things about sub and m done. Like they are worse to kick. And it's true. But only if you use them long enough and if you just substitute. Like... you can use Suboxone for say 5 days... After 8 .. it will wear off , but that's 8 days the oxy would of been leaving your system. Then you can take methadone for 5 days, by then ... The oxy will of left your system leaving you feeling like a weak crumbled mess of a person. Then you can sort of scrape yourself together a bit more each day , and all the while saying holy shit I'm glad that's over . Patting yourself on the back because you just got through one of the hardest things anyone could ever have to go through..
EVENTUALLY you feel GOOD!! It took me a while to feel good because I never went completely sober ... (Vodka,meth, whatever). But once I did I felt REALLY GOOD!!!

I'm beginning to wonder if f I did some serious damage to myself. I've lost all interest in basically everything, I tried to play some guitar but my hands were all trembling and couldn't play much at all. This is something different, a new low, I've never had unsteady hands before. I wonder if I did some neurological damage to myself during my last binge because I still don't feel right at all. And it's going on two weeks now. Maybe I came close to od'ing as I also still have a darkness under my eyes. I also can't find anything solid to grab onto as a hope raft, I've always had something to give me at least a glimmer of hope. Well as they say one day at a time. But I can see kicking is one thing, it's the aftermath that is going to prove harder for me.

I'm beginning to wonder if f I did some serious damage to myself. I've lost all interest in basically everything, I tried to play some guitar but my hands were all trembling and couldn't play much at all. This is something different, a new low, I've never had unsteady hands before. I wonder if I did some neurological damage to myself during my last binge because I still don't feel right at all. And it's going on two weeks now. Maybe I came close to od'ing as I also still have a darkness under my eyes. I also can't find anything solid to grab onto as a hope raft, I've always had something to give me at least a glimmer of hope. Well as they say one day at a time. But I can see kicking is one thing, it's the aftermath that is going to prove harder for me.

No, I'm sure that this is all a part of early days. The aftermath, or PAWS is harder for everyone--and it is not a quick exit. But you can use the uncomfortableness of PAWS to your advantage. All the beneficial life skills are involved--how to self-talk back down from anxious thinking, how to create motivation from the inside rather than depending on it coming from the outside, how to deal with emotions long kept at bay, how to relate to others when you feel vulnerable, how to combat boredom in healthy ways. All of this is beyond drugs, beyond addiction--it's what every adult has to learn if he/she wants to be in control of their own well-being. When these skills become an integral part of your inner self , you cease to depend on them coming from either a pill or another person or a compulsive activity and you're free. Free does not mean that life will never suck--it will--it just means you are way better equipped to deal with it.<3

I truly believe that we have the power do change and adjust to basically everything in life. I didn't always think like that but with time I understood most of it was up to me to decide. When you set your mind to do something, you either achieve your goals or keep trying. In one way or another I trust that we all have gumption.