• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kicking Oxy habit - taper - advice needed

patty.cakes

Greenlighter
Hey,

Im kicking an oxy habit. Decided to quit oxy last may, went on suboxone may 31st 2017. Completed a very fast taper end of august, only noticeable symptoms were complete inability to sleep, regardless of xanax/melatonin/weed etc for about 5 days. I even went backpacking in the sierras with friends during withdrawal.

Fast forward a month or two and was off-and-on using suboxone recreationally, then I was back on suboxone every day until 6 weeks ago when I decided to quit. I decided to use oxy / H to quit as its shorter half life.... that failed and was using up to 600mg of oxy a day at the end, and not really feeling shit.

Here is my recent timeline :
Saturday: 600mg oxy
Sunday: take 4mg suboxone, 0 mg oxy, 1mg xanax - sleep 12 hrs
Monday: 1mg Xanax/ .2mg Clonidine 2x through day /Weed and 210mg oxy - no symptoms, woke up from sleep from 12-4 and 5:30-7
Tuesday: 1mg Xanax in morning, .1mg Clonidine. 150mg oxy - sleep 12-8
Wednesday: 1mg xanax, 0 mg clonidine, so far 60mg oxy but taken in 15mg doses

Plan
I've build up withdrawals in my head, I have 20.5 x 30mg oxy left - I cant "really withdrawal" in peace until sunday night....

I have about 20 xanax, plenty of clonodine, kratom, tylenol, vitamins etc

Ive been buying oxy by the day in small quantites, but im thiking..
Wednesday: 100mg oxy
Thursday: 80mg oxy
Friday: 60mg oxy
Saturday: 40mg oxy
etc...

Is this better than jumping now? Is this taper worth it? So far, if I *dont* take oxy, I start feeling bad if I dont take oxy (obviously) but this taper seems to be working for me

Last edited:
You should really stick to one or the other, jumping between Subs and Oxy is a bad idea (and wasteful). A taper is ALWAYS better than having a few hours of feeling tough and deciding to kick the next day almost cold turkey from some high amount. If I were you I would wait till I was dying before taking just enough to stay out of the bathroom, rinse, repeat. It's kind of like a loan that has to be paid back and there's no getting out of it. You can buy some time with money and a connect but you will still have to pay at some point with pain and discomfort.

I would rather pay small amounts and deal with tolerable amounts of discomfort vs putting myself in a position of being entirely out of commission for several days, wanting to die. Also if you look at your taper plan it goes from 100 to 80mg, a 20% drop. But by the time you get to Saturday(40mg) you'll be making a 50% drop if Sunday is 20mg. See how that could jack up the pain level, making the biggest cut when you're down to the smallest amount? Try taking the biggest cut first while you still have decent levels in your system. After a few days when blood levels become depleted you'll thank yourself that you have a little more than you first planned for.

If you want to do a linear(ish) taper then something like... Tough it out at a 75mg start, then 65, 55, 47,40,34,29,25,21,18,15,13,11,9... I mean that's just a BS lineup but you get the idea and can decide when you want to jump, but at least it won't be a 4 day crash taper. i mean unless that's what you want to do. There's also a bit more proper Sub taper too as Oxy is short acting and fiendish as far as the Opioids go. Subs don't have you climbing the walls quite as bad waiting for more like Oxy does.
And of course add comfort meds as needed, probably later than earlier in the drop.

Anyways, I hope i don't sound too preachy or like a total dick, it's just been a long day at work. I hope it works out PC. Welcome to BL :)

I would rather pay small amounts and deal with tolerable amounts of discomfort vs putting myself in a position of being entirely out of commission for several days, wanting to die. Also if you look at your taper plan it goes from 100 to 80mg, a 20% drop. But by the time you get to Saturday(40mg) you'll be making a 50% drop if Sunday is 20mg. See how that could jack up the pain level, making the biggest cut when you're down to the smallest amount? Try taking the biggest cut first while you still have decent levels in your system. After a few days when blood levels become depleted you'll thank yourself that you have a little more than you first planned for.

If you want to do a linear(ish) taper then something like... Tough it out at a 75mg start, then 65, 55, 47,40,34,29,25,21,18,15,13,11,9... I mean that's just a BS lineup but you get the idea and can decide when you want to jump, but at least it won't be a 4 day crash taper. i mean unless that's what you want to do. There's also a bit more proper Sub taper too as Oxy is short acting and fiendish as far as the Opioids go. Subs don't have you climbing the walls quite as bad waiting for more like Oxy does.
And of course add comfort meds as needed, probably later than earlier in the drop.

Anyways, I hope i don't sound too preachy or like a total dick, it's just been a long day at work. I hope it works out PC. Welcome to BL :)

Hey, THANK YOU for your reply. I think you're right. I have the means to get as much oxy as I want, I just can't take the multiple weeks of subs withdrawal. I'd rather rough it out for 2-3 days with oxy than with subs..

I think your taper schedule sounds good, right now its about 630pm my time and I've taken 75mg oxy. I will likely take another 15 before bed, trying to ride it out. I'll do your idea and make this last a while if I can, we'll see where I get to.

Once I'm down to like 40mg, I can take kratom and maybe switch to kratom from oxy...

Anyone have exp if kratom prolongs withdrawals? I know it interacts with mu receptors but not familiar with its affinity and such

My feelings on the matter is that as long as you keep decreasing your intake, it'll help to get you where you want to be. Personally I could only do the CT route because it always seemed like all the cutting back kept me pretty uncomfortable anyways, so why not just cut to the chase. Of course, I never quit from such a high starting point as it looks like you were at. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Hey,

Im kicking an oxy habit. Decided to quit oxy last may, went on suboxone may 31st 2017. Completed a very fast taper end of august, only noticeable symptoms were complete inability to sleep, regardless of xanax/melatonin/weed etc for about 5 days. I even went backpacking in the sierras with friends during withdrawal.

Fast forward a month or two and was off-and-on using suboxone recreationally, then I was back on suboxone every day until 6 weeks ago when I decided to quit. I decided to use oxy / H to quit as its shorter half life.... that failed and was using up to 600mg of oxy a day at the end, and not really feeling shit.

Here is my recent timeline :
Saturday: 600mg oxy
Sunday: take 4mg suboxone, 0 mg oxy, 1mg xanax - sleep 12 hrs
Monday: 1mg Xanax/ .2mg Clonidine 2x through day /Weed and 210mg oxy - no symptoms, woke up from sleep from 12-4 and 5:30-7
Tuesday: 1mg Xanax in morning, .1mg Clonidine. 150mg oxy - sleep 12-8
Wednesday: 1mg xanax, 0 mg clonidine, so far 60mg oxy but taken in 15mg doses

Plan
I've build up withdrawals in my head, I have 20.5 x 30mg oxy left - I cant "really withdrawal" in peace until sunday night....

I have about 20 xanax, plenty of clonodine, kratom, tylenol, vitamins etc

Ive been buying oxy by the day in small quantites, but im thiking..
Wednesday: 100mg oxy
Thursday: 80mg oxy
Friday: 60mg oxy
Saturday: 40mg oxy
etc...

Is this better than jumping now? Is this taper worth it? So far, if I *dont* take oxy, I start feeling bad if I dont take oxy (obviously) but this taper seems to be working for me

Im currently tapering from a huge oxyhabbit too. Were doing 400++ usually but after a hospitaladmitance I was doing a lot more..up to 1200/24hrs. Way to much!

I have tried both tapering and CT before and relapsed.
this time I tried something different. You may want to give it a try or not.but this is what I am doing.

jumped down to my prescribed dose which is 120 a day.stayed on this until I was feeling somewhat okay. Then I jumped down to 40 a day. And only taking it before bedtime to make sure I get some sleep. I am not taking any during the day.
I know that when I am kicking it I want get any sleep for a while. And beeing sleepdeprived is one of the reasons I have had relapses before. Totally kills your motivations. And I think its easier to deal with the wds and pain during daytime. Cant stand it during nighttime as I think they are worse in the night for some reason.

when my body was used to this dose I went down to 20. Thats my current dose. Also now I only take it before going to bed. When my body is used to this I will drop down to 10 then 5 and then go off completely.

dont have a timeframe. It all depence on when I feel comfortable with the dossage. Maybe 1-2 weeks between the jumps.
I must say I found this to be a lot easier then all of the other mehodes I tried. And by only taking it before bedtime ensures that I get some sleep which is crusial to keep you motivated. And its easier to deal with the wds during daytime when you can keep yourself occupied.
I agree with the other post that its easier to do the big jumps in the beginning of your tapering.

So far I think its going well. It has not been as bad as the other times. I am soon to get down to 10.

so I thought I let you know incase you might want to give it try.

anyway, which way you want to do it dosent really matter as long as you decide what you want to do and then stick to your plan.
you can do it!
looking forward to read abt your progress. Please keep us updated.
wishing you the best of luck:)

Thanks for the updates. Moscatel, your experience is crazy! 1400 a day down to 40, congrats man!

As for my update, last night was rough - My total dose for Wednesday was 82.5mg, which was 17.5mg less than I expected. Sleep was intolerable, I took melatonin before going to bed and half a xanax bar and .1mg clonidine. Trying to save the clonodine for when I jump entirely, but I just couldn't sleep. Slept 12-3am, tossed and turned after taking another half xanax from 3-6 and I may have sleep some until I checked my phone at 8:40am.

So far, I waited until 10am and took 15mg oxy. Takes a lot of self-restraint to taper, but Im telling myself itll be worth it in the end.

Thanks for the updates. Moscatel, your experience is crazy! 1400 a day down to 40, congrats man!

As for my update, last night was rough - My total dose for Wednesday was 82.5mg, which was 17.5mg less than I expected. Sleep was intolerable, I took melatonin before going to bed and half a xanax bar and .1mg clonidine. Trying to save the clonodine for when I jump entirely, but I just couldn't sleep. Slept 12-3am, tossed and turned after taking another half xanax from 3-6 and I may have sleep some until I checked my phone at 8:40am.

So far, I waited until 10am and took 15mg oxy. Takes a lot of self-restraint to taper, but Im telling myself itll be worth it in the end.

Thank you pattycake:)

I think it will be worth it. To retrieve the control of our lives. Hang in there!

may I suggest that you take your abt 80 mg all at once before your bedtime? Just to make sure you get some sleep. Or if its to hard you can take 10-20 during day and the rest when you go to bed? That way you can save your clonodine. Way easier to cope with wds during daytime rather then nighttime. What I mean is that even though its hard you have more willpower during daytime. Therefore You better keep your struggels and fight them during the day and then get some sleep during the night.

eather way you do it I am here to cheer you on:) you are doing this:)