• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kicking Final 50mg per day Tramadol, codeine, seeking input

JohnsThrowAway234

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I've had a hell of a time coming down Tramadol since June. I've tapered down from 600mg to 45mg per day (just under 50). All the way, it was difficult.

I take one tablet every morning. I've reached a hell of a stage as I have developed panic attacks and so on every day; there may well be other causes to it including fear of going lower as I have the concern that I have ruined my brain somehow with it and that I will develop insane depression and anxiety forever. if I "jump off" cold turkey from here. The slow taper from here isn't alleviating that either.

I plan on jumping off from this 50mg cold turkey. I am terrified (irrational panic) about it and plan on using codeine to ease the withdrawal.

Once I don't feel "strange" from the codeine alone, I know that I have only an opiate taper ahead of me, which is far more doable than this strange SNRI and Opiate withdrawl together.

My question is

> After 2 years usage, what likely awaits me on the other side of this 50mg?
> I have a great deal of panic etc even after reducing 5mg per day for two weeks. I was fine at 50mg. Is this likely to be in my head? I have been thinking and thinking and watching my own symptoms and ruminating.
> Does anyone have any success stories with a similar strategy?
> How does 50mg stack up as an SNRI with other drugs? Am I (unwittingly) on a strong anti depressant?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about never ending withdrawal, protracted withdrawal and that even at 50mg it is still quite a strong SNRI.

Seeking input on this & my strategy including usage of codeine (say 90mg per day).

P.S: I have succesfully had and stopped codeine habits in the past and have little fear of falling into a new habit; I have developed extremely strong self control with this taper and wish to be free of both.

I did something very similar. A lot of people might say that using a stronger opioid to get off a weaker opioid (like tramadol) is a bad idea, but I had success using that strategy. Youre going to need to be extremely disciplined, however, and you would be doing yourself a huge favor by not making a habit out of the codeine. I used a small amount of oxycodone that i had to sleep during the first couple weeks of CTing around 150mg/day. I tried tapering, but tapering seemed almost as bad as the CT WD, so it was pretty pointless for me. I was also stopping an everyday Ambien habit at the same time, so that certainly contributed to the sleep problems.

Will you have any time away from work and/or other daily obligations? That'll be very helpful because you will not feel like your "normal" self at all. For me, the anxiety and complete lack of motivation were the worst part of WDs. The anxiety didnt last more than a few days, but i don't feel like my serotonin returned to normal for months. Since you tapered, i doubt you will have lingering effects that last as long, but keep it in mind. You might not feel like youve returned to normal for quite awhile, and if you use the codeine to try to stay ahead of the PAWS, you might end up much deeper into addiction than where you started.

Kratom would be a much better option than codeine if youre planning on using it every day. It might not help much during the brunt of your WD, but it would be a much better alternative to use while you re-establish youre normal, and it isn't bad to come off of a small daily habit.

Kava can work wonders for anxiety, and it isn't physically addictive like prescription anxiolytics. As for something to help the seemingly never ending PAWS from the serotonergic effects, tripping on something like shrooms can be very beneficial. I think that would be a great idea when youre ready to put away the comfort meds and go back to complete soberville

I think your plan is fine, but kratom and/or kava might be better comfort meds than codeine.

Yeah the codeine may just draw things out as it is an opiate. I don't envy you with the Tramadol withdrawals. I hear it is like withdrawing from an opioid and benzo at the same time. Best of luck and if you can get non opioid comfort meds that would be ideal as to not draw out the Tram withdrawals. Gabapentin, Clonidine, Klonopin, and Seroquel work wonders for me. Thankfully my psychiatrist prescribes me these as part of my daily regimen so I have continued access to these. Taken properly they work very well for me but everyone is different. Again best of luck and if you can get these meds I'd be happy to give you dosing reccomendations.

Why do you need to jump off at 50mg OP? There's no need to cause yourself undue pain and emotional torment. Why not continue reducing at a slow rate? You could break your tables into quarters and reduce at a much slower rate.

if you've kicked habits in the past, surely you know whats coming?
'never ending withdrawal', thats not a thing

keif has a good point

Why do you need to jump off at 50mg OP? There's no need to cause yourself undue pain and emotional torment. Why not continue reducing at a slow rate? You could break your tables into quarters and reduce at a much slower rate.

I am now thinking exactly this about my taper of tramadol and considering a swap to codeine. I'm now at 50mg from 100mg last week, has been much higher in the past. The codeine if taken throughout the day has taken the edge of. The half lives do not match up so a CWE of the codeine in one go will not be beneficial. I have lyrica for anxiety already, so can take some extra if necessary. Kratom WD is worse than codeine WD in my own experience.

Have a look here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/804631-Codeine-(Tramadol)-Taper.

Good luck. I'll be watching both threads.