• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

kickboxing in the Netherlands

SoCalSeeker

Greenlighter
Hello everybody, I'm going to be in Amsterdam July 16 through July 20 and I'm a big fan of Dutch kickboxing. I was wondring if any bluelighters knew of any fights going on in the Netherlands during that time period, I haven't been able to find any online. The fights don't have to be in Amsterdam, I'm willing to take a day trip to watch some good kickboxing. Thanks for your help.

I did a quick search just now and I didn't manage to find any either. I'll have a look again in a few days with more time and a straight head, but as of now it looks like there may not be any fights.

Thanks Psychonauticunt! I really appreciate your efforts, are you a fan too?

Not as such, although I do get a kick out of watching most martial arts, and will occasionally watch fights on TV - particularly boxing and kickboxing (got a soft spot for kickboxing, having grown up in Thailand - Muay Thai is where it's at %) ).

Never been to a live event here, only in Thailand.

I love Muay Thai also, it would be bitchen to see one of those fights in Thailand. I figured since the Dutch dominate K-1 it would be easy to find a kickboxing fight in the Netherlands.
Do you train in martial arts?

I love Muay Thai also, it would be bitchen to see one of those fights in Thailand. I figured since the Dutch dominate K-1 it would be easy to find a kickboxing fight in the Netherlands.
Do you train in martial arts?

No. I tried a bit of Tae Kwon Do and Muay Thai as a kid, but quickly lost interest. A few years ago during my military service I was trained in Krav Maga though.

Krav Maga is becoming popular in California, where I live, though I've never tried it for myself. Which country did you serve for?

Glad to hear the Netherlands is on top of your list as I'm leaving for Amsterdam in the morning. I was reading through one of th the Amsterdam threads looking for tips and it seemed like some of the people that live there are annoyed with the American tourists. Is there anything in particular tourists do that bothers the local people?

Chiming in a bit late now, but from what I gather, the bigger annoyance today seems to be English tourists. Things generally frowned upon:

1) Wandering the streets without looking around. The streets are narrow, and on the right side of each car lane is a bike path. Cyclists consider themselves to have right of way in every situation and will not necessarily slow down much, opting to slalom between crossing people and swearing (usually by means of wishing a disease from Biblical times upon you) at the ones that get too close. Walking in a tight row of 3-4 people that obstructs the whole street is also a pain in the ass.

2) Tolerance for soft drugs doesn't mean go crazy. Just like being shitfaced-drunk and pissing onto a parked car, being retardedly stoned or tripping balls on truffles in public is frowned upon. Most places in the service industry seem to have an extra supply of patience for stoner tourists that take a minute with their food order, though, so it's okay to be stoned - just don't be a nuisance. Also, behave around children. Smoking weed outside is illegal but quite tolerated, but locals will appreciate if you cover your joint as you bypass small children. The Dutch are very aware that their legal environment is more tolerant than most, and are quite willing to extend it to visitors - but they expect you to be as responsible with it as they are. They have little patience for fucking around when the rules are already so lenient.

3) Being loud - goes together with not controlling your intoxication. I think this is obvious anywhere.

In general, though, Amsterdam has some of the rudest customer service I've ever experienced. They deal with annoying kids that smoke weed for the first time on a daily basis, and it's a very busy city, so don't expect too much politeness. Tipping is standard practice and not leaving a tip is indicative of bad service (and will probably get jeers and bad looks if they did nothing wrong) - this shouldn't be a problem, coming from America, though? You guys tip, don't you?
Also, prepare for the fact that anywhere from 30-60% of the people you come across will not be locals. There are tons of expats and other tourists both wandering the streets and working as budtenders in coffeeshops. Asking for directions is a nightmare since only the third person you ask will actually be from Amsterdam.

Oh, and many coffeeshops insist you remove your hat (so you are identifiable on surveillance camera). You will probably not be asked to do so, but told very aggressively, as if you had already been warned once or twice. Consumption is also mandatory, so you must at all times have a drink of some sort underway (and order a new one as you finish). In many coffeeshops, to be seated you MUST buy cannabis from that coffeeshop.

Thanks for the information! I'm trying my best to not stand out as a tourist during my travels, I think this will help. I arrived Sunday evening and really enjoyed my first full day here yesterday. Aside from one asshole last night, everyone has been friendly and polite. I always try to maintain a low level of intoxication whenever I'm in public, so I shouldn't have any problems. Do you have any suggestions on sites to see while here? We're already planning on seeing the Ann Frank house, and the Van Gogh museum and also the red light district.

Last edited:
A little late but the Rijksmuseum (don't know if I spelled that right) is pretty cool. They have a great collection from some of the old Dutch Masters like Rembrandt etc. Van Gogh museum is awesome. Lot's of beautiful countryside as well if you're willing to leave the city.