View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine vs. cannabis addictive potential

The Thought Police

Greenlighter
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways, my question is: how would you compare ketamine's addictive potential to that of cannabis? I've read through most of the threads on here about ket addiction, and it seems that most people do not find it terribly addicting, but there are some who find it extremely addicting, and cannot quit even with severe health issues. With ketamine, from what I've read it seems like once a week is the recommended maximum to prevent tolerance and bladder issues. I've never tried ket, but I bought some a week ago and it's just been sitting here because I'm worried that if I try it, I might like it too much and won't be able to keep it to once a week. After being stoned for the past 3 years, I'm starting to think maybe I should look into doing something else with my life instead of getting into another potential addiction.

From everything I've read and my experience with MXE, its a similar sort of psychological addiction (not that I was addicted to MXE, it just had the same pull weed has; in both cases I can space out my usage), but I don't know if you can predict how susceptible you'd be by how you fare with weed.

Dnt try it you might like it !

Seriously both are on a diff level, though the two can be equally as habit forming, with weed being less destructive imo. i think with a good well balanaced lifestyle trying ketamine a few times wouldnt have any straight up impact on ur life

Ketamine can be a very useful tool in ones life and can be eye opening in terms of offering a different perspective. It's a very escapist drug and offers infinite source of fulfilment for the deep thinker so if that's what floats your boat there probably is potential for addiction.

It works wonders with depression too but I find it's very hard to only use as a therapeutic tool in small doses and can't help but get high on it.

It's a complex issue that depends on a number of factors. For example, your cultural situation will have an impact. How acceptable is cannabis where you live? Ketamine use is not considered even remotely "mainstream" anywhere that I know of, but there are areas of the world where cannabis use is widely acceptable. So your dynamic with these drugs will be affected by what kind of taboo they enact, what situations provide the occasion for their use, etc. Many people cannot get ketamine reliably, whereas cannabis is easily available. One's existential reasons for using drugs in the first place play a role. If drugs for you are purely escapist, I might stay away from ketamine. Psychonauts and hedonists will have less likelihood than escapists to develop an addiction to ketamine, I'd imagine, since for psychonauts ketamine is an intense introspective experience, and there will be built-in mechanisms that preclude addictive behaviors from obtaining, while hedonists would likely stick with something less "weird." Escapists will find much to love about ketamine, in the sense that radical escapes from everyday perspectives are available without any kind of temporal commitment--you can get off your rocker on ketamine after work and be able to sleep at a decent hour to wake up fine next day for work, unlike acid or anything like that.

Proceed with caution and honest self-knowledge.

^Exactly

Cultural stigma/availability does play a role, but ultimately it is determined by how you are wired.

What determines addictive potential is actually how much the pleasure circuit is stimulated and very importantly the dosage regimen: cigarettes are more addictive than heroin because there can be 200 'hits' in a day when you smoke while with heroin it is more like 2. The repeated hits are very supportive of the 'learning' aspect of addiction.

Regarding dosage schedule there is not a huge difference between cannabis and ketamine or MXE but I am pretty sure that the latter dissociatives have more potent effects on pleasure circuits and produce more craving.

There are tolerance effects with both drugs, but the physical dependence effects are quite limited, especially for dissociatives... and for cannabis you'd need to use it chronically... but psychological dependence on dissociatives can be significant.
So don't underestimage the addictive potential of ketamine and other disso's!

IMO both can be easy to use without any problems or very habit forming depending on your personality - I used to be in the "Cannabis isn't addictive" crowd simply because it didn't affect me or my close friends in such a manner but now with a little more experience I find there are a lot of parallels between cannabis and synthetic cannabinoid habits and opiate/opioid habits (something I had not read about until recently is that at least the primary cannabinoids in weed, THC and CBD - seem to be mu opioid receptor positive allosteric modulators, similar to benzodiazepines being PAMs for GABA - which makes sense, there are many parallels between the highs, pain-killing qualities etc - in fact I've even nodded out with stronger synthetic cannabinoids before), albeit the latter builds up much heavier in a shorter space of time - the end results are similar, it's just while it can take months to reach that stage with opiates it can take years with cannabinoids. Sleep issues, nausea, pain, distress etc can all be issues of long term daily use - though it takes a very long time for most individuals and also greatly depends on the amount that's being smoked (taking potency into account) - i.e. someone getting stoned each day might not even have problems but someone smoking heavily all day every day usually does eventually.

With dissociatives there's also a risk of developing a habit but it functions rather differently - while Cannabis tends to have little "pull" to use daily until you've used it for a very long time (if ever - usually for most people they get habits from the fact it's *not* seeming to be habit forming or causing problems from their perspective and they simply use it in too large amounts for too long and then find it's difficult to stop) dissociatives in my (and most peoples it seems) experience can be very moreish, I'm sure you've heard of people describing opiates as the ultimate escape because they can ease all pain both physical and psychological - but what about a drug that can both do that and transport you to another world where you can forget your whole life and be whatever you want, that's Ketamine to me. The allure should be self-explanatory.

I don't find Ketamine to have much in the way of physical symptoms like long term Cannabis use does but it comes with the trade off that it's much more tempting to use it and get sucked up into the hole for a long period of time and forget about your every day life - I know when I was using Ketamine fairly regularly I probably spent more time in the hole than I did in the real world. With long term abuse people also report cognitive decline, problems with speech recognition and communication etc - they tend not to be very severe and mostly unnoticeable, not like say someone who's been eating MDMA every day - but it's still a very real issue and something I think anyone should avoid. There's also the bladder and kidney damage heavy users face.

In short, both are lovely substances and both are safe and useful in moderation but both have consequences with long term heavy use. I think it very much depends on the individual if they'll find either or both becoming a habit for them.