• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

(Ketamine) Therapy for chronic pain?

Really you already know you need to talk to your doctor to answer that question. I just think it's possible, but it's up to you and your trusted medical professionals to decide if it is right for you.

Edit: speedking no way you got 80 to start maybe 18 mg. Eyeballed 25+ or so was way too much. Ketamine iv is a whole other beast. If anyone tries it they need to start low.

Last edited:
Really you already know you need to talk to your doctor to answer that question. I just think it's possible, but it's up to you and your trusted medical professionals to decide if it is right for you.

Edit: speedking no way you got 80 to start maybe 18 mg. Eyeballed 25+ or so was way too much. Ketamine iv is a whole other beast. If anyone tries it they need to start low.

Yes, of course. Really do find the idea of this treatment intriguing, especially considering my track record with various psychiatric medicine. The neuroleptic drugs have given me the most trouble. My symptoms in that area tend to respond well to the older, typical anti-psychotics, unfortunately, I also tend to get slammed with any and of possible side-effects and get zero relief via Cogentin, etc. The newer, atypical meds may as well be sugar pills, but hey, no side-effects in sight. Combine that will difficulty finding a good doctor (the last one literally had a poster in his office featuring him promoting a psych meds, that, guess what, was his first out the gate for those "most likely to benefit"). Upon pointing out not only the ethical, but legal issues with such a practice he promptly gave me the boot for "non-compliance". On the occasion I see his brand new Tesla parked along the street I spit on it.

@tacodude: I may have heard a dose number by mistake. I will find out the protocol.

@Steady Scootin: I have called private practice places that do K infusions and no price discussion, but it is prohibitively high cost unless you have great insurance.

The private treatment centers I have called in my area do however treat depression , while it is only used for pain at the main hospital I go to.

If you are stateside, depending on the state, Medicaid covers the cost.

I believe that in the coming years, Ketamine treatment will become mainstream.

Location for Ketamine infusions

Before I started any trearment, my pain doctor had me discuss the usage of Ketamine with my psych doctor before my very first treatment.The face of my psych doctor lit up noticably when I ran the idea past her. She was very keen to the usage of Ketamine for pain and depression.I told her that I had used Ketamine once before 20 years prior, recreationally. I explained the effect that it still had on me. She was cool with it.The very first Ketamine Infusion I simply was knocked out, with one memory of waking up with blurry vision feeling like I was on aof a heavy dose of Soma. I was detached and also recall the nurse helping me piss.That was treatment number 1.Where I am treated, the treatment goes like this:You get in the hospital bed and they set up an I.V. The doctor or medical intern (they are the best) first Inject, 2 mg’s Midazolam (in my case) to calm you down and I suppose dial down the side effect of feeling it and getting scared. They proceed to explain what’s going on and give you a shot to set get you started. I may have misheard, but I believe on one occasion I was told I was getting 80 mg’ s to start.From what I understand after that, they monitor your vital signs.I have aksed them if I was moved during the treatment. They say no. I haven’t had a bad time ever and I am going on my 7th or 8th treatment in less th n a week.I always have a great time.When you train yourself how to be lucid, it gets better. You are able to sort through the mental stuff much more efficiently.
I am treated by pain mgmt doctor for full body arthritis with the spine being most painful. Opioids were reduced with Lyrica as substitute. Lyrica side effects became intolerable so just finished withdrawal from that drug. I?ve gone from house bound to bed ridden. I am located in SouthEast USA where Ketamine is not readily available. Where might I find Ketamine in a reliable clinical setting in the US? Must I be prescribed Ketamine for it to be administered or are there independent clinics somewhere? Is Ketamine considered illegal if not prescribed? I must do the random urine test at pain mgmt. After a series of infusions how long does the benefit last? sorry for so many questions. I?m running out of options.

Though ketamine is GREAT for pain, I do not think its a great solution for "chronic" pain. Unless they give you a prescription for pills. IV push (not infusion) Ketamine, only lasts about 30 minutes, and IM ketamine only lasts about 45mins - 1hour. IV infusions would only be good for the time being (while you are only hooked up to the infusion). After you leave, the Ketamine will wear of pretty fast, and then you'll be back in pain again.

Ketamine for DEPRESSION, would be GREAT though.

Chris that's not true. Ketamine has long lasting effects like how a single dude of Psilocybin can keep cluster headaches away for 6 months when the trip doesn't last that long obviously. Also oral use of ketamine is not recommended as if I'm not mistaken it metabolises into something nasty that ROA. J&J are working on "esket" a s isomer ketamine nasal spray for depression. Dunno if it ever went to trials.

Chris that's not true. Ketamine has long lasting effects like how a single dude of Psilocybin can keep cluster headaches away for 6 months when the trip doesn't last that long obviously. Also oral use of ketamine is not recommended as if I'm not mistaken it metabolises into something nasty that ROA. J&J are working on "esket" a s isomer ketamine nasal spray for depression. Dunno if it ever went to trials.

We are not talking about DEPRESSION, we are talking about PAIN. Hence the title "Therapy for chronic pain?"

What i said was 100% true. Ketamine has a short half life, of about 2.5 hours. I have IV'd and IM Ketamine SEVERAL times and there wasn't a single time that it lasted over a hour and a half (ROA IM, which last the longest). Thats at 25mg. You might "after" effects, but it wouldn't provide any medical "uses" such as pain relief, if it did, it would be very little.

The Ketamine i used was IV pharma/medical grade.

Last edited:
With the short half-life, ketamine is definitely limited at treating pain. That said, with IM I can’t imagine a “proper” dose of k wouldn’t help a lot, if for a limited amount of time.

Iirc they have had moderate success treating certain types of pain using ketamine pumps. Not a procedure to take lightly, but it’s an alternative. They also have ketamine nasal spray now, which may be more practical in terms of doing to treat pain.

Only big downside to using k like this would be side effects. Wouldn’t feel comfortable driving or opperating heavy machinery taking any dose of k...

I'll clarify.... Ketamine is not meant to solve pain completely and if it can one is lucky. It is meant to be done in sessions that I'm not sure if they are done days or weeks apart, but I am thinking around the area of every 1-2 weeks. What it is meant to do is reduce the severity of pain, just like opiods, so that other treatments methods such as electro simulation, water therapy, physical therapy, biofeedback, massage therapy, acupessure/puncture/tonics, pain needs without or benign mental effects like NSAIDS, etc. Start being useful again.

Ketamine long term is really dangerous for mental health and in my experience leads to a careless drug induced manic processing state, which I even recognize in high dose methadone users when they have extreme mood swings. I don't think it should really be used long term daily... Even for depression. The reason it works great is again the infrequent need of use and the immediate change in state such as for someone depressed developing suicidal ideation that needs immediate change of end in depressive state. In my opinion it should be utalized for short term immediate treatment to bridge into something longer term such as Rick Simpson Pheonix Tears cannabis based activated oil suspended edible standardized cannabinoid formula.

I'm not speaking out my ass as if I don't have experience nor follow what's going on...

With the short half-life, ketamine is definitely limited at treating pain. That said, with IM I can?t imagine a ?proper? dose of k wouldn?t help a lot, if for a limited amount of time.

Iirc they have had moderate success treating certain types of pain using ketamine pumps. Not a procedure to take lightly, but it?s an alternative. They also have ketamine nasal spray now, which may be more practical in terms of doing to treat pain.

Only big downside to using k like this would be side effects. Wouldn?t feel comfortable driving or opperating heavy machinery taking any dose of k...

First OP, no legal discussion. You have found Bluelight, you can find out some of those questions.

As usual, you or anybody else?s mileage may vary.
They are making great strides with ketamine therapy.

One of the reasons I think the pain effects last longer is due to the continuous I.V administration.

I am delivered medical ketamine over a period of 7-8 hours, depending on how fast the flow of the medication is.

I also get the infusions every couple of months.
I believe that adds to the relief.