PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Ketamine Subthread] Storage & Stability

Darksidesam

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Hey all,

I was just wondering, how long could i expect to be able to keep dried Ketamine powder (not liquid Form)
In a Cool, Dry, Dark Shelf in a ziplock bag, Inside an Aluminum Tin for?

How long until it starts to Lose Potency.

Basically i hold off on K use a lot. I honestly wont touch it for 2 weeks or so, In fact id rather save it for a rave. But of course i dont want it to lose Potency.

If no one knows the answer here I'll shift it over to Psychedelic Drugs, they are the ketamine experts :)

If no one knows the answer here I'll shift it over to Psychedelic Drugs, they are the ketamine experts :)

Thanks,
If only i knew the answer to this, i would be able to 100% limit my use without the panic of "Oh No its going off, Better do it all" lol

ALso on a side note, I'd like to Know Methoxetamines shelf life

Going to shift this to PD to see if anyone there knows.

PD staff, if this is too basic for your forum feel free to shift it back :)

BDD > PD

I know ketamine stays good for atleast a year, probably easily two years and I'd guess longer would be ok too but I never kept mine that long; I think the oldest ketamine I used was 1.5 years old, found out a bag I thought had been empthy actually wasn't and that was still as potent as when I just got it. I know that liquid pharmaceutical sealed ketamine often also stays good for 2-5 years judging by the year mentioned on the flacon, I'd say you can keep the crystals for as long if not longer. It's pretty stable.

Hey all,

I was just wondering, how long could i expect to be able to keep dried Ketamine powder (not liquid Form)
In a Cool, Dry, Dark Shelf in a ziplock bag, Inside an Aluminum Tin for?

How long until it starts to Lose Potency.

Basically i hold off on K use a lot. I honestly wont touch it for 2 weeks or so, In fact id rather save it for a rave. But of course i dont want it to lose Potency.

as far as i know, ketamine is pretty stable. the liquid pharma grade type is good for years, and if im not mistaken it "expires" only because they cant guarantee it to be sterile after that long, not that it turns into something else. ive tried some after 2 years past the expiration date and it was still potent. im not the expert though, but for the time you seem to want to keep it, it should be fine.

in regards to MXE, that too appears to be rather stable. anyone know of reports of it losing potency?

Ketamine & methoxetamine HCl salts, if stored in a cool, dark, dry place, should remain active and potent for many, many years. I would expect the solutions to be slightly less stable but I think 20 year old ketamine vials would still be just as good as the day they were made.

Crystal powder Ketamine doesn't lose potency in at least 4 years if stored in a cool, dry and dark location. Keep it away from humidity and sunlight and you should be golden.

I agree, it's very stable and lasts for quite some time like the others say. :) Should be more than enough for how long you want to store it right? End of thread or are you interested to find out more..

Hello,
I have the same question, as just received some but will not be able to use before 5 months.
When you say a dark, dry place, a clothe cupboard or a simple desk drawer is enough?
Thanks for your help.
Signal

Hello,
I have the same question, as just received some but will not be able to use before 5 months.
When you say a dark, dry place, a clothe cupboard or a simple desk drawer is enough?
Thanks for your help.
Signal

It would likely be enough to keep the Ketamine at a good quality for a long period of time, since Ketamine is fairly stable compared to many other drugs. If that's the best storage you have available then go for it, but it would be much better to store it somewhere cold like a fridge/freezer :)

That's true what JG says... but use a drying agent pack (you know the ones that come with some products you buy, the packs that say 'do not eat') and seal it airtight. Otherwise getting water in there while it's in the freezer will make a mess. Still I doubt it will degrade fast like tryptamines would. I don't see a particular vulnerability point on the molecule like an alcohol group or an esterified alcohol group or something like that. There is an amine present but it shouldn't oxidize if there aren't metal ions near it. But keep water away, it might cause amine autoxidation.

For that period of time I would just keep it dry, cool and dark somewhere - sealed from the air. Or else indeed in the freezer but sealing it from air and water is much more important in the freezer.

Hello you both,
Thank you for your replies!
Problem solved, I just gave it to my partner to enjoy! Might as well make one happy person!
When times come for me, I will just reorder some.

Happy day,
Signal

Ketamine storage.

Good afternoon everyone.
I've been away from home for more than 5 months.

Some months before leaving (let's say, it was november 2012) I got 1gr of pure S-isomer Ketamine (according to the vendor).

I left it in a plastic bag which is inside a tiny metal box which is inside my bong's case.

During winter / spring the place is dry and not super cold but in the last 2 months it got really really hot. (35° degrees and more).

I'm wondering if that affects the substance itself and also, if Ketamine has an "expiry date" and which is the best place to store it.

I'm asking because I want to start my Ketamine regimen for depression and want to be sure that it will work or at least that the substance is intact in its effects / purity / potency.

Ketamine is pretty stable, I wouldn't worry.

Still, with all substances protecting from moisture as well as very high temperatures (or fluctuations) is best. So store dry, close the baggy to protect from oxygen and put it in a closet so that there is no direct intense sunlight on it.
These are all precautions and a good habit to apply it to all compounds (although some drugs really need more care like putting them in the freezer).
It sounds like your storage box is okay.

All medication gets an official expiry date but with stable compounds this is just regulation 'to be sure'. Even benzo's get them I think, but they don't really degrade. Like I said I wouldn't worry about ketamine.

However with no drug or chemical the degradation is sudden, it happens gradually and the limits like expiry dates people use are (apart from the pure formality of regulation) pretty much defined for when the level of degradation becomes unacceptable.

Unstable chemicals simply decompose quicker and are more sensitive to factors like oxygen, water and heat.

I've left some Ketamine in a vehicle for months (was pretty happy when I found it) and it never lost potency.

Soo.. answered

Merged 2 threads for quick reference in the future, FAQ style.

(I trust this answers your question on the subject 99 out of 100 times, if not post here / merge here)

Last edited:
I think I better add my experience here for easy reference in the future.

I've personally found ketamine to not be as stable as people usually say. I've had crystal ketamine loose potency in a duration of around 4 years give or take. And that was even stored in the freezer in a vial. Tolerance can be ruled out as a factor, because every body who subsequently tried it had varying degrees of tolerance, and every one agreed it wasn't the most potent kick ass K anymore.