• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ketamine infusion therapy

As decades have worn by, the relief I get from k has shifted from the weeks/month type duration to literally minutes after a dose. :( and sometimes just a worsening of intrusive thoughts etc, especially if too much is taken too often.
Unfortunately dissos have a tolerance problem like any drug, I am somewhat hoping that one can space out the doses enough to retain positive effects for a few years but my experience was that eventually one needs to be on one to experience the positive effects and get fatigue and depression directly after it wears off. But I did seriously push the luck by abusing Dissos instead of using them as good as possible and even so it took quite some time. Not comparable to the addiction to e.g. opioids.

100%. The current crop of clinics trying to tell people in various psychiatric crisis that they just need to fork over 6000$ for a few sessions that literally cost lest than a few dollars to facilitate is fucked up, disservice to the medicine, the patients and everyone but the providers raking in bucks. It reminds me a lot of the "weed doctors" of the early 2ks

They see a business opportunity and they're grabbing it. Boutique medicine at its finest. Yet they decry naturopaths for doing IV therapy. It boggles the mind.

BTW I found music not just to be so euphoric when listened to under the influence but the tracks retain their euphoria a bit when playing them again while sober.

for sure. The emotional impact is very heightened - I was going through a very rough time in my life during the last infusion (suddenly being dumped by my long term partner, multiple disc herniations, relapse of my MS so I couldn't even take a piss without getting the nurses to help me get up off the toilet) so I made a playlist of songs to kick me in the feels and oh man, it's hard to listen to some of them now because of how emotional they make me

(the playlist, if anyone's interested https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5a4vK9ZcGSsmP1v4Ul6OXv?si=bf5e831ccf3a4967 )

Furthermore I am skeptical that the high dose IV route is truly the way to go with this.

What do you consider to be 'high dose' for the IV route? Can I assume you're talking about the day clinic infusions where you go in for a couple hours or w/e and get a bolus, rather than the continuous infusion for pain model?

Yeah, dissociatives heighten emotional impact to quite a few things, I'd go as far as saying it was a general effect of them. Happens with movies/TV shows as well by the way. It's next to the general antidepressant and anxiolytic effect what I miss most about dissos. For a while I thought I'd need to write them off as a consequence of me being unable to limit my use but my experience with opioids alone showed me that dissos should be able to be regulated with willpower.

What do you consider to be 'high dose' for the IV route? Can I assume you're talking about the day clinic infusions where you go in for a couple hours or w/e and get a bolus, rather than the continuous infusion for pain model?
You indeed don't need the IV route, nasal is just fine, just oral is weak and inferior. They should approve methoxetamine which was longer lasting and even more mellow anxiolytic antidepressive than ket. But a certain dosage is needed, imo it won't be possible to detach the beneficial effects from the dissociation (what big pharma is trying these days) but again plus for MXE, one needs just 10-20mg, so less body and bladder load.

I suppose my experience is probably pretty unique compared to everyone else's as I'm getting it for chronic pain and the protocol that's been devised for that from all the studies is quite different to the one for depression

eta: Australia is really behind the curve when it comes to scheduled recreational drugs finding their way into medical usage - we only got medicinal cannabis in 2016 and it was effectively impossible to access for the first three years. I highkey suspect the conservative govt that brought the law in devised it in such a way that they could point to the low uptake and say 'see we don't need this we're making it illegal again' but as always lobbying and donations win out so companies that grew weed were able to bribe their way into having it be easier to access. It's still INCREDIBLY expensive though.

My friend gets IV ketamine every 2 weeks at a hospital here in the pacific northwest. They pretty much K hole her, or pretty close to it. She says she is vaguely aware of the world when it happens.

IMO her dose is too high. The neurological benefits of ketamine can be achieved at a much lower dose. If you are "getting high", then you are activating dopamine and other neurochemistry that is not medicinal.

My friend gets IV ketamine every 2 weeks at a hospital here in the pacific northwest. They pretty much K hole her, or pretty close to it. She says she is vaguely aware of the world when it happens.

IMO her dose is too high. The neurological benefits of ketamine can be achieved at a much lower dose. If you are "getting high", then you are activating dopamine and other neurochemistry that is not medicinal.
Oh yeah I can def agree with that. You're going to get better and longer lasting results with a lower dose for a longer period. But of course big pharma wants repeat customers so...

Would you consider the dose that I typically go on (20-24mg/hr IV) to be medium? As I said in another post, if I close my eyes while listening to music I can definitely float off to another realm and can sometimes be zooming through space seeing termite mounds of infinite size comprised of glittering bronze and purple sand being formed and collapsing, but if my eyes are open and I'm just doing regular things like eating, chatting to the nurses, taking a walk around the ward, I'm quite present just a little dissociated but more like a weed high not a ket high if that makes sense

Just wanted to put this here, not to plug it but to let people know about a good information source:

I experimented with ketamine for depression, based on Jamshyd's work, years ago. I built a whole protocol. I am still doing 10mg doses to this day, just not as frequently.

Completely agree with this.

I’ve experimented quite a bit with dosage and the afterglow effect. As this is the primary reason I use it too, the longer term effects, I’m not a huge fan of the acute effects.

Anyways, yes if anything I get better antidepressant effects if the dosage is kept lower. Too high and I begin to feel hangover/comedown like effects, usually only lasting a day or two before the afterglow kicks in good but nonetheless not worth it. Higher dosages also bring the tolerance up quicker.

I’ve also found S-K has a much better antidepressant effect than racemic. Racemic acute effects are better and more reinforcing aka moreish. I’m much more likely to hit a bag of racemic a couple times in a night instead of one from a bag of S.

I’ve decided I might switch to IM/IV as my nose just can’t take the shit anymore. I snort like 5mg now and I’m spitting nastiness for a week.

-GC