• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ketamine ad Nicotine

Phobos

Bluelighter
After a few months of abstinence from Ketamine, I recently used some again consuming about a half gram of Esketamine in 2 days.
During this abstinence period I took up vaping, and the effects of Nicotine significantly diminished compared to the beginning of my use as it can be expected due to tolerance.
Now, after consuming Ketamine again, I noticed that vaping produces significantly more effects, as if the Esketamine somehow reversed the tolerance I had overnight.

Does anyone have a similar experience or know of any research about this?

Interesting! I do not have a similar experience, although I generally find that vaping nicotine negatively affects the ketamine experience in some way, I'm not sure why but when I have been nicotine addicted and ketamine using, it's like my experiences have a more anxious edge to them. I can quite easily not vape on ketamine, although I have to consciously decide not to prior to the experience, otherwise if I'm mildly nicotine dependent then I generally will. But honestly I didn't really notice any effects on nicotine tolerance one way or the other. I always find nicotine tolerance to be somewhat fleeting and unpredictable - that said - so it's possible that in the morning after a K-binging session my first vapes of the day produced a more pronounced effect, but if it did I didn't consider it especially memorable and I think this would have quickly faded as the day went on.

There is a theory that ketamine and its enantiomers could have a dextromethorphan-like effect on narcotics by slowing down, stopping, or slowly reversing tolerance, so perhaps it does it to cholinergics like nicotine, and/or potentiating the nicotine? Nicotine does interact with the NMDA system as do the other two drugs, and there has been research on using this property to make it easier to quit smoking, amongst other things:

Last edited:
There is no need to invoke NMDA as a mechanism, when it is well documented that ketamine metabolites in particular the dehydroketamine metabolites have nicotinic nAChR affinity both as agonist and antagonists depending on the nAChR subtype.