Keepin it underground.

Why use the term Sell out? That is SO moronic. If someone says to you:"hey, how about we give you a BUNCH of money, get you more exposure, advance your career" what would you say? No....Then you are a fucking liar. The term sell out is used by the "little" fish that can't make it in a big pond.
HMMMMMMM!! Alright here we go time for a little education. Lets think about that one. Once upon a time in a DJ galaxy far far away. There lived a Dj that for the sake of leaving people nameless we'll call Oakiemaascollinstauchertiesto for short. And this Dj played all the best underground parties. Parties that weren't too big or too small. Parties where all the peoples would leave in awe and amazement at the performance. Then one day a record label rep approached Oakiemaascollinstauchertiesto (for short) after one of the parties and offered a record deal with the magic words "you can do wjhatever you want with the record. Finally a chance to show the everyone my skillz the Dj thought. So they went to the studio and they layed down the tracks and made the phattest mix of music ever made. And everyone who ever listened to Oakiemaascollinstauchertiesto went and bought the cd. Finally one of their own was going to make it big. The album became a hit and the second was even better. It became such hit that one of the evil execs at the major record label took notice and decided to pay Oakiemaascollinstauchertiesto (for short) a visit after one of the parites. They talked for a while and the evil exec told the Dj about the worldwide exposure and travelling to foreign worlds in every galaxy to play music. wow thought the Dj and without reading the contract Oakiemaascollinstauchertiesto signed on the dotted line. The first day of recording went great, just as good as all the others. After finishing the Dj took the final product to the evil exec and layed it down on the table.. bammm!!! The exec listened to it and met in the room with the other evil execs and called the Dj into the room. Then he said, "We dont like this one and this one and this one." "So we want you to add this one and this one and this one" Oakiemaascollinstauchertiesto said, "Hell no!" "That's not me, that's not my style, and I don't like the way it sounds." All the evil exec's eyes looked up at the Dj, thier eyes turned red and in unison replied, "Too bad it's in your contract!" FIN
That Gravy is why people see others as being sell outs. Because out of greed they forget where they came from and want what is bigger. They sign a deal and then they get fucked, turned into whores for a record company and eventually most of them begin thinking like these record companies themeselves.
Peace
[This message has been edited by mxmim (edited 08 March 2001).]
[This message has been edited by mxmim (edited 08 March 2001).]

GRAVY HERE AGAIN> I hate to break it to you Bud, but the world is built on Greed. The world is based on money. That Is FACT>
I supppose you are one of those dipshits that believe it is not. The cold hard fact is that money talks and bullshit walks. I ain't sayin I like it that way, but that is the way it is.
SO who gives a flying fuck is dj"so-n-so" sells out. I will continue to buy oakies records if I like them. If not, I won't. simple as that. SO what if it isn't ALL underground, big fucking deal. If a tune is a Good song, I don't care if it is on the radio/tv...what ever..as long as I hear it.
People that use the term selling out Must have some deep, hidden fear of normalicy...."I ain't wathing the grammy's..they're a bunch of sell outs"... then the next morning YOU get up , go to your 40hour a week "yes man" job and think YOU are not selling out. Please.
The world is greedy. I am greedy. Face it, everyone wants things that will better them...progress...it is human nature.
So called, "Selling out" may not be the "cool" thing to do, but it happens, quit crying about it and deal with it.
------ANother totally off topic thing that bugs me..but anyway///here we go.
Okay, So, since when parties started it wasn't all about X and phat pants...ALl you UFO sporting E-babies are "sell outs". Yep that right...according to your thinking.. You start going to parties and all of the sudden BLAM--> you start sporting UFO's, a lip peircing (which I think are super sexy by the way...I am serious
wink.gif
), all sorts of "candy" apparel. Now are you a sellout? "No,no,noway, not me".."i am in it for the music"...Oh yeah, how long has Paul Oak.. been producing? really...what NON electronic artists has he worked for? If you are init so much for the music then you would know wouldn't you. He and alot of the older dj's now more about the music than anyone here..EVE dj KOS (bwhwhhahaha
smile.gif
).
How do I know all this? Because it was me. I dropped the UFO's, never had the piercing, gave away all my braclets and guess what..the music still sounds the same.
AM I coming clear? I said AM I coming in clear <--- Mike TV.
okay, I am done
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by dj_quantum (edited 08 March 2001).]

Sigh.........Sigh.........
Oh yeah, how long has Paul Oak.. been producing? really...what NON electronic artists has he worked for? If you are init so much for the music then you would know wouldn't you.
Ask a question that you didn't get from the bio of every Global Underground CD Oakenfold has mixed.
Okay, So, since when parties started it wasn't all about X and phat pants...ALl you UFO sporting E-babies are "sell outs". Yep that right...according to your thinking.. You start going to parties and all of the sudden BLAM--> you start sporting UFO's, a lip peircing (which I think are super sexy by the way...I am serious ), all sorts of "candy" apparel.
What does that have to do with anything?I dont know if you checked on your way in but this is the music forum. Most people visit for the musical aspect of this forum. Some of the people here work in the business and aren't just here cause they love to the music they heard at the party. I realize that you may just be getting it off your chest but you kind of went hypocriical on us when you said
Face it, everyone wants things that will better them...progress...it is human nature.
So called, "Selling out" may not be the "cool" thing to do, but it happens, quit crying about it and deal with it.
Seems to me like you have alot of issues Gravy. Maybe you should go to social and work them out.

Gravy: You are so far away from getting the point...
As mxmim pointed out, making money from doing what you do DOES NOT MEAN that you are selling out.
Changing what you do because you can make more money is selling out.
Catering to the lowest common denominator because it will shift more units is selling out.
Producing and playing boring, formulaic, been-done-before-1000-times, unimaginitive, pedestrian shitty music is selling out.
Becoming mainstream-famous/'successful' usually means having to sell out in one or more of these ways. It is possible to achieve mainstream-fame without selling out....but it's very rare for it not to happen on some level...and people that have done it will almost NEVER admit to it.

I think selling out is comprimising your art for $$$$. If you dont do this and fame and fortune come your way then cool. But to spin wack tracks because you are at a concert that is all rock n roll is wrong. Also big record execsreally can fuck your shit up. Why do you think we have so many shitty cds in america? in europe cd singles are popular. Why? because they cost less then a full cd and the song you want is on it. The problem with that. Well the cd costs the same to make but you cant sell it for as much so rather then let a artist come out with a cd with3 or 4 tracks big record labels demand 11 or 12 tracks. Now they can charge more and make more and we get pissed at the artist because they "suck". Again listne to me big business will kill artistic freedom. The artist cant be nurtured. They dont evolve. In and out. Fuck that. Im glad autechre was able to release so many cds. Im glad that Rino Cerrone is doing so well producing e.p.'s. I mean come on this is bullshit. We have all been conditioned by our society to accept this kind of bullshit. I dont think any of you are wrong but miss informed yes. This is ok lets just keep it real. As far as candie kids we all spent our time there. Its about being young and finding yourself and finding others. Remember listening to this music is alot of work and people need time to ajust to what it is. peace-J

Isn't Perfecto Oakenfold's own label?
I bet the evil exec's are always telling him not to put certain tracks on there.

Well just like rap, metal, rock, etc. I think that electronic music will go mainstream (just a matter of time) but I still think that there will be an underground. There will always be an underground, it all starts in the underground (Except for pop). It's just a matter of who will be in one category and who will be in the other. Its about what you like. There are mainstream artists that do "keep it real".

Gravy again.<--------
Mising the point? NO, I know what they are saying.
As far as a good dj know plays music that "sucks"...please that is so revaltive. Personally I like "regular" songs that get the Electronic treatment. ie. Delerium, BT's remix of Sarah mcL " I love you"...I have both. I even own a Jungle remix of christina agu-howeveryouspellit-lera's "genie in a bottle". To say "oh yeah, he is a good dj but he plays shitty music" is retarded. When I play, I play what I feel, what I want to hear, if the cowd doesn't like it...go else where. I am a pretty easy guy To please I like all genre's of music. Even some country.
I don't look at myself as a "sell out" or "soft" because I really dig pretty trance...I can turn around one minute later and throw one the darkest, fastest JUNGLE known to man. I , Like a NUMBER of dj's LOVE music. Everything changes. That is how things progress. The mainstreaming of Elctronic music is not going to ruin it. It will evolve it and make it better. I long for the day I will turn on the radio and hear some deep, dark, fast, jungle playing.
Oh and Mr. mxmin. Mr fucking psychologist. What are my problems?? Hmm smart guy.
"from the back of his GU cd" please...
How about you face reality? Get off the drugs and let your brain clear out.
---But then again, what do I know, I am just an elitist junglist.....
*shaking head* you people amaze me.

Yo, I can respect you for spinning what you like because to me it is staying true to yourself. You're missing the point groggy. Sellouts are'nt true to themeselves. They spin whatever someone else tells them to. They do it only for the money and not the love of music.
And by the way I could sit here and trade insults with you all day but I've got better things to do than go down to your level of thinking.

Yo, I can respect you for spinning what you like because to me it is staying true to yourself. You're missing the point groggy. Sellouts aren't true to themeselves. They spin whatever someone else tells them to. They do it only for the money and not the love of music.
And by the way I could sit here and trade insults with you all day but I've got better things to do than go down to your level of thinking.

Well im in the U.S. i don't really got to worry about jdb going mainstream, i hope hehe. Trance is already mainstream here, at least in cali. In Europe I know that Garage is very popular there, and that some dnbheads hate it hehe.
As for what Lane said, I am kind of like you.
I feel pretty damn different, bc of the music i like, and would wonder how it would be if it went mainstream.
Besides jungle, ive taken up Reggae, and underground hip-hop. You wouldn't believe the amount of awesome Reggae out there. People usually think its just Bob Marley. Underground hip-hop is dope as well, and is alot more refreshing than that hip-hop being played on the local radio station.

Hey if any of you guys are from the UK or have been there you would know that electronic music is way mainstream over there. I mean it has been for a really long time. If electronic music goes really mainstream and the culture is accepted, yeah there will be corruption and fakes but hey people can tell who really cares and who doesn't. i mean i think a lot of people get too caught up in the novelty value of being a raver or whatever when the true belief about it is that the dj's and the parties are a place for anybody that wants to go and celebrate the music through dancing and having a great time. The more people that want to do that and can, i welcome because all it has ever done for me is make me feel better about myself and make me happier when i'm out there dancing to music i love. If others could feel the way i do then that would be awesome.

GRAVY again.
"dnb people hate everything except dnb." Well I kinda agree. Like i said, I love dark fast dnb and really pretty progressive/epic trance..so I guess your theory is shot.
Most of the dnb elitist assholes I know are young. I am not a kid by anymeans.
I have to give a High Five (smack) to the dude that posted above me. He hit the nail right on the head.

Hey if you guys don't remember Electronic music or techno whatever you call has been around for almost 40years now and it's gone mainstream at least twice to my knowledge so grow up and live with the fact that you young ones newer to the so called "scene" aren't the first to discover this stuff
------------------
It's all good