• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Kava MAOI effects, using kava for ayuascha and other ayuascha questions

dthorse17

Greenlighter
I believe kava has MAOI b inhibitor effects so can it be used with oral dimethyltryptamine. I have experienced first hands the maoi effects after drinking kava for a meth come down. I was sipping it so the effects weren't a total emergency but the heart rate increase was extreme and sudden and so was blood pressure.

I used benzos and clonidine to reverse this and was wondering in general is this a reasonable way to treat a hypertensive crisis from say tyramine?

DMT requires MAO-A inhibition for oral activity. Kava is likely a weak maoi though as there are many reports of polysubstance use involving kava with very few emergancies (compare to something like deprenyl and phenethylamine, which has a reputation for sending even cautious drug nerds to the hospital).

Tyramine driven hypertensive crises may respond to clonidine some, as clonidine reduces the release of NE, while tyramine causes it's release.

A true hypertensive crisis though would be treated with much more serious vasodilators like sodium nitroprusside, which will drop blood pressure within seconds of IV administration (and function via nitric oxide mediated vasodilation, so that there won't be competition with the principle effects of tyramine).

Hypertensive crises are extremely time sensitive to prevent organ damage or death so rapid treatment is first line.

You are correct. I was using kava months back with DMT (stopped the kava because of dermopathy, sucks but whatever). I'd be tripping for 60 minutes instead of 20, every time. It was pretty cool but they could be very frightening trips given they went on for so long. Took me 80 minutes to start coming back to baseline. However it's not a significant enough MAO inhibitor to get an experience like changa or ayahuasca.