• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kava kava interactions

Does anyone have any information on the effects of Kava and Valerian Root and 5HTP when taken with Zolpidem?

It makes sense Kava would potenate Zolpidem, so would Valerian Root. But Valerian Root contains Apigenin which competitively binds to BZD sits and can block the binding of other substances. Also, Kava contains many CYP450 inducers and could increase Zolpidem metabolism.

I tried the combo now, but I'm having a hard time deciding if the effects of Zolpidem have been increased or not. Thanks guys!

I bought a 10 capsule travel pack of KAVA KAVA capsules from a local feel rite that I bought to help interact with my klonopin. Now I'm pretty sure the dose of the KAVA KAVA is pretty low but I already tossed the box to get mg, but I'm almost positive it's a quite low dose. I should be able to take like 4 or 5 of these capsules to mix with my klonopin and suboxone right? NOTE: I have a very high tolerance to klonopin and suboxone. I took one KAVA KAVA capsule with 300 mg's of GABA supplement with 8mg's of klonpin and 12 mg's of suboxone and didnt feel euphoric or more sedated, but got a little nausious.. Anyone know how to reach peak sedative points? This is why I put it under Advanced Drug Discussion because I'm discussing the mix of KAVA KAVA, GABA supplemnt, klonopin and Suboxone, and so far I'm yet to get the sedative point I'm looking for. Please help. My intuition tells me I should be able to take 5 or 6 KAVA capsules with the klonpin and it be okay... Anyone who knows a lot about these combos would be such a huge help, and anyone else who has experience please help <3
-Opey Khan

It seems like everyone thats posted in this thread has just totally ignored your post (OP)... Anyways I too just happen to have some really good kava root 'phyto' liquid gel-caps that have 225mgs Kavalactones per serving = 3 capsules... They were pretty expensive and I also am on Subox0ne and have some Clonazepam. Today I took 9 kava root gel-caps - so 3 x 225mg kavalactones is what I took over the course of about 5-6 hours. I took 6 this morning with my 0.5mg sub dose and felt pretty good. I decided not to take the kpins this time with the kava to see how they felt without the benzo.. I just got the these kava root extract capsules the other day but so far they are the best kava extact product I have ever tried.. They also mix fine with kpins (and Subs and I am sure with other benzo's too)...

I'd just be careful, but as far as I can tell kava-kava is safe to mix with benzos (in moderate dosages of course).. As far as Sub goes, nothing really mixes with it in a synergistic way, besides maybe Tramadol, due to the fact that bupe doesn't get you high, relieve pain, make you feel good or help you sleep (unless of course your in the midst of opie w/ds)...

you can't get too intoxicated with kava though(at least in my experience).
I beg to differ.
About 15 years ago i ordered about an pound of good quality fiji root powder, tried it a few time, at 1-2 heaped spoons, didn't get much beyond a drunk body feeling and just forgot about it.
A few months ago i found the remainder and said to myself why not give this a decent try before throwing it into the bin. The stuff is pretty old by now so lets go for 4 heaped spoons, the kind for eating soup, tossed into a food processor blended with milk, strained and drunk the result. Half an hour pasted without much happening so swallowed another 3 heaped spoons this time without straining the muddy mess.
Then it hit me pretty hard. First the numbing effect was all over my body, next i couldn't point both eyes at the same spot, then my legs were giving out, i couldn't walk a straight line even if i wanted or stay up straight. By this time heavy waves of nausea were hitting me, only not moving at all seemed to help. For the external observer i was extremely drunk. Internally the nausea was so overwhelming it blocked out pretty much else.
I gradually got better but the nausea on day 2 was still strong enough to stop me from eating.
Total amount taken in a 30min time span : +/-150g? root power.

By the way : apparently a powder containing both root and the green parts of the plant, that contain a liver poison (as in acute liver failure), were imported into the US and Europe resulting in a few deaths and a EU ban on the importation of kava kava root power into Europe.
"I hope there are no green part in that powder" was one of the things that kept racing through my mind for a few weeks.

Conclusion don't try that again. Really really not recommended.

Everyone here is using the wrong kava. The bullshit extracts (phytocaps, liquid tinctures, "84% paste", etc) do nothing.

Try some REAL kava which is going to be a powder that needs to be prepared (but can be Toss and Washed).

If anyone wants any more info, PM me.

I took .5 clonazepam and two kava kava pills, and had a big interaction. I panicked because my tongue got really swollen, and my whole body felt numb for about 8 hours. Kinda euphoric, but kinda scary too. I kept accidentally biting my tongue.

I know i may be a little to late on replying to this. Im new, so SORRY! I ordered some Vanuatu root powder and im waiting on it to arrive. It doesn't say the % so im wondering if anyone has tried this?