• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kava after Benzo WD

infectedmushroom

Bluelighter
Hi guys. For the past month I've been taking on average (each days dose would differ based on what I was doing) 0.5-3mg of lorazepam. I have been hovering around the 1mg mark for a week now, sometimes going up or down about 0.5mg, and haven't felt noticeable withdrawal symptoms from doing so. I plan to taper down rapidly over the next 5-7 days from 0.5mg to 0.25mg then off.

My question:

I know Kava has GABAnergic properties. Does that mean I should or shouldn't use it to aid in any discomfort (insomnia, anxiety etc.) while i'm tapering? Should I wait till i'm fully off the benzos to take it for insomnia (my main enemy in benzo wd) or should I just leave my whole GABA system alone long enough to let it recover? Thanks.

EDIT: It would be in the form of a tablet combined with passionflower, as the root is very difficult to come by around here, otherwise i'd definitely use root powder.

Last edited:
Just leaving a comment here as I too am interested in what people have to say on this.

(P.S. sorry for pirateering your ship)

DO not use any thing affecting the gaba system while quitting benzos it prolongs the WD for sure; you'l feel relief for a few hours than BAM;

i noticed this when i tried to use valerian root, picamilon after i quit benzos i felt bad for months wondering why; my receptors were never healing IME

Oh, darn, that sucks. I had been keeping an eye on this thread since it would be handy to know if it worked.

i wouldnt use anything gabaergic at all, esp not something where you dont know exactly how strong it is. itll prolong withdrawals, definitely. just do your taper. good luck.

I never experienced any sort of withdrawal from kava use. Some actually say kava has a reverse tolerance effect so it might be wise to start now to see what kind of dose you can handle. There are so many ways to prepare the kava and some might work better than others.