Mental Health Kanna and anti depressants

JKR123

Greenlighter
Has anyone taken kanna and anti depressants together? Or just take kanna alone and experienced help with anxiety/depression.
Literature says you should not mix, but there is also information that says it is ok. Obviously kanna is a natural leaf/plant and is not addictive or have side effects, so there is a big advantage there.

An SSRI takes weeks to be effective but kanna works almost instantly ... how could they both be the of the same character? Does not follow...

Kanna has been said to help many with anxiety and depression so just wondering if anyone is doing them together?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Usually, it doesn't work very well to mix pharmaceuticals with supplements that are fairly psychoactive on their own. Things get pretty complicated, and your doctor won't be able to tell what does what.

Kanna is a plant. Chances are there are several compounds in it that work to produce its effect. If it works as well, or near as well to, SSRIs, then there will probably be a bit of withdrawal after discontinuing.

Try to go the pharmaceutical route. There are many different antidepressants to try. If it's not working out, come to some sort of other plan of action with your doctor.

Have you tried any antidepressants yet? Are you in therapy? Have you considered meditating, exercising, and eating a better diet? These habits will help significantly.

Don't worry, you're not alone!

There's not a lot of information about kanna online, and virtually none about how it interacts with SSRIs (clinical studies). I would not risk mixing the two. I would not underestimate the strength of plant based herbal suppliments, many are fairly potent (morphine, St, John's Eort (MAOI), kratom, cocaine, etc) and have very real effects. Modern pharmaceuticals began with plants. I would try one or the other, but not together.

While some pharmaceuticals have side effects, I think many people don't realize that so do herbal suppliments. I would research both and try what you think is going to be lost beneficial after considering the pros and cons.

If I were in your position I would discuss everything with a doctor before beginning treatment. Many doctors are knowledgable regarding herbal suppliments, you can call around and ask until you find one.

Please update is with what you decided to try and if it's working for you. Good luck!