Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Kambo - Experienced - intense frog venom of the south

cdin

Moderator: H&R; Discord Sr. Staff
Staff member
I have been struggling w/some issues for a long time, i won't go into them all here, you can check my user history if you want - point is, things in my brain/body have been pretty effed. only ones of note here are - ketamine bladder damage, stomach parasites and gaba/opioid withdrawals. A friend of mine who I had referred for an iboga treatment in costa rica returned after a few months of participating in sessions. He described kambo and one thing stood out to me "as potent for the body as ibogaine is for the mind". Initially I thought there would not be any for me, but someone else dropped out, so he proposed to give the last dose to me. I wasn't planning this experience - but as soon as he suggested it, I realized that I had a variety of ailments that kambo is indicated for. He also seemed to think it would be good for opiate/benzo withdrawal(not so much).
The morning came, I downed the requisite 2 liters of water, no food had been consumed since the previous night. He asked me how many burns I wanted, he said 5 minimum, 9 max. I chose 7. Retrospectively, I could have done 9, but 7 was probably best to start. I am well experienced w/all manner of psychs/stims/downers/dissoc etc. and have had some out there accidents, including an 80mg 2cb injection that I think nearly caused a stroke and precipitated withdrawal. Not trying to dick size, just saying I am versed in the realms of intensity of experience. I was ready. We pulled the bathroom rugs and said "fuck it, let's do it here" wanting to avoid the expected mess on any absorbent surface.
We light some palo santo, and I think maybe he has another stick to burn me. The burns are applied. I am extremely pain tolerant, no problem here. He applies the first "test dot". a small booger of kambo material onto the lowest burn in the line. I can notice a faint hint of something beginning. two minutes later, I'm not dead so we decide to go for it. Six more dots are laid. 30 seconds later begins a pretty harrowing experience. The first effects almost feel like IV cocaine coming on, just that "oh shit" feeling with bp/pulse doing crazy shit. Next a flush like 1000x niacin. My hands start to shake like they're on a jackhammer. "Is this normal?" I ask, starting to swoon. "Yes". The experience continues to intensify - the feeling so fast and crazy it blots out everything, the nausea and churning begins, I hug the toilet. "Am I going to die?" I ask. Genuine question. The nausea has reached levels = that of precip withdrawal, yet lacks any of the emotional component which makes it INFINITELY more bearable. "No" replies my friend. For the next 20 minutes I alternate chanting "Oh god, jesus help me" which is pretty funny, as i'm an avowed anti-theist, just couldn't help it. complete physical breakdown. I start to purge.
Crazy purging. Biles of different types and colors w/each purge - shit im sure you only see normally if you slice an organ in half. Note there is no visual, trippy component. I puked green, yellow, black. Also, finally, I puked up a several ounce mass that looked remarkably like a bright yellow kombucha mother. I realized it had been living in my stomach moments ago, probably for years (10+ years searing stomach pain culminating in ulcers - probably from being a punk kid and eating trash). I crawled, on my hands and knees to my room and laid down. 20 minutes later I was just fine. Rest of the day, great, slept well (took some benzos). So, that went well, aftereffects -

I was kindof led to believe it would help opiate/benzo withdrawal and so didnt check my doses. I've been dealing w/light benzo wd since (there was a few weeks of benzo abuse) and am paying for it now. Also, the dermorphin component seemed to set back my opioid taper somewhat, although it was also relieving for several days. I would probably steer clear for these purposes. But the physical... o man. The next day I could walk on my foot better than the last 2 years. I have successfully slept through nights 8 hours without getting up to urinate (my biggest problem lately), and my stomach feels better than it has in years. I was also pretty manic for the few days after, but there was booze and benzos involved so who knows the culprit there. The relief from the ketamine damage was surprising, points to some pretty intense anti-inflammatory properties. The most amazing part is my stomach, I genuinely thought people just lived with searing stomach pain all the time. heliobacteria can fuck right off.

So tl;dr did unplanned frog venom, puked guts up spectacularly, lived through it, killed parasites, relieved inflammation of bladder (i may do this once a month if the effects persist a while)
10/10 will focus and at least choose a fun diety than jesus to grovel to next time

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_kambo
explevel_experienced
exptype_positive
exptype_lifechanging
roacode_transdermal

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting report, I have been looking up kambo reports on Erowid quite recently. Sounds like a really interesting thing. Thanks for the report! :) I'm happy that it seems to have helped you in various ways.

ill add to the post as things develop. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow, I had to use some DGL for my stomach today, which makes me think "hmmmm, probly didn't get it all" - which makes sense to me - in the jungle they do it every 2 weeks. It's difficult to purge a long term bacterial infection, I already ordered some more. Definitely fucked over by the stupid forever half-life rc benzo - 59 hours no sleep and counting. :( maybe I can find a seroquel.

Good luck man. It will be interesting to me to see what happens when you're free of benzos. Either way, sounds like it was positive. I'd be afraid to try it, that level of physical malaise sounds terrible.

honestly, ive read a lot of your posts, I wouldn't be worried about whether you can handle it - it seriously just washes over you. there's nothing you can do except observe the intensity. I didnt even feel like I made it through observing all the sensations before it was receeding. I mean, if you can go through ope or phen withdrawal, or ibo, you could do this easy. Turns out (for me) it's the mental part that gets me, just physical for a definite period of time is FAIRLY easy to endure. I wouldn't do it for kicks though, I've had opportunities before, I did it this time because I had like 3 things that were indicated for treatment by it.

Finally slept 8 hours last night, stomach seems ok (getting dr. checkup today), foot good. MXE/KET BLADDER PROBLEM STILL ALLEVIATED (biggest deal to me, and others since there's currently no treatment protocol for K bladder damage)

I have access to this. It seems very healing. I am interested. I am open to all healing opportunities. @Xorkoth have you ever tried it?

Interesting that this alleviates ket bladder syndrome for which so far no approved treatment exists.

A RL friend has done Kambo, I could ask her but she's pretty offline these days. But from what she told me I had the impression it was a purely physical 'cleansing' in the way of e.g. Ayahuasca vomiting does to you but more intense, yet not CNS active. Is this wrong?
I don't have disso bladder, thanks god, had 'K cramps' once and these were truly terrible, last time illicit K for me.
But I feel like my mind/brain has suffered from a 3 year long disso addiction (+/- 25g DCK/month + 600mg morphine/day), specially the attention span - I had ADD before but not in this intensity. If Kambo also cleans the CNS it might become interesting.

Full agree to the OP that it's the mental component of withdrawal which makes it so terrible, otherwise it'd be just a strong flu as these docs always tell you. But in withdrawal mindset everything is fucking terrible, makes one feel like the most lonely person on earth and multiplied by 10.. we are afraid of physical pain but what really takes us down is the mind. In a dissociated state pain is just some noise, dissociatives can be more potent painkillers than opioids, I remember for example a trip to the sauna, where both hot and cold were just informations, no real feelings. In this state I felt somewhat invincible, but tolerance builds slowly but steadily and knows only one direction: upwards. A full year of abstinence and after the very first dose, tolerance was at the same level as before. So there's some real changes in the brain from disso use, and nobody knows exactly which.

Last edited:
Full agree to the OP that it's the mental component of withdrawal which makes it so terrible, otherwise it'd be just a strong flu as these docs always tell you.

Yeah anytime someone tries to tell me to "just tough it out, isn't it just like having the flu??" I'm like... yeah, no. Certainly parts of the physical aspect are flu-like (the body aches and nausea/shits and weakness), but those are only the trivial parts... to me, the worst physical part is the akathisia (restless limbs), which sounds like whatever to someone who hasn't experienced it, but after days and days of it is enough to make me want to kill myself... combine that with the emotional devastation, and it is literal hell.

Kambo, deep emerald medicine of the future...

I see this was posted years ago. But i thoroughly recommend Kambo to anyone who feels the call. No need to fear this. It is good fortune to meet Kambo.

I've taken it about three times, with the first time being the most unpleasant. Which is generally the pattern for most people. I'm fortunate enough to know a few people who have used it over long periods, and to see K take effect on them is a completely different thing from the hectic nausea of a first time user. One woman in particular, a long term user, who i was observing. As it took effect she reclined slightly and it was like a wave of deep peace & meditation had hit her. No bumps on that road. Kambo irons out the imbalances in the physical (which are more noticeable) but no doubt the psychic imbalances also. Very subtle medicine that ideally should can be pursued long term.
(oops! caught myself sounding dogmatic there..:confused:)

Last edited:
Interesting that this alleviates ket bladder syndrome for which so far no approved treatment exists.

A RL friend has done Kambo, I could ask her but she's pretty offline these days. But from what she told me I had the impression it was a purely physical 'cleansing' in the way of e.g. Ayahuasca vomiting does to you but more intense, yet not CNS active. Is this wrong?
I don't have disso bladder, thanks god, had 'K cramps' once and these were truly terrible, last time illicit K for me.
But I feel like my mind/brain has suffered from a 3 year long disso addiction (+/- 25g DCK/month + 600mg morphine/day), specially the attention span - I had ADD before but not in this intensity. If Kambo also cleans the CNS it might become interesting.

Full agree to the OP that it's the mental component of withdrawal which makes it so terrible, otherwise it'd be just a strong flu as these docs always tell you. But in withdrawal mindset everything is fucking terrible, makes one feel like the most lonely person on earth and multiplied by 10.. we are afraid of physical pain but what really takes us down is the mind. In a dissociated state pain is just some noise, dissociatives can be more potent painkillers than opioids, I remember for example a trip to the sauna, where both hot and cold were just informations, no real feelings. In this state I felt somewhat invincible, but tolerance builds slowly but steadily and knows only one direction: upwards. A full year of abstinence and after the very first dose, tolerance was at the same level as before. So there's some real changes in the brain from disso use, and nobody knows exactly which.
My understanding was always that Kambo cleanses the psyche as much as the CNS. Both of those are just components of the human energy field (HEF). Just vibrating at different frequencies.

Kambo is dangerous. Has caused a couple of deaths in Australia, including one during an ayahuasca ceremony. A man perforated his oesophagus due to excessive vomiting. They're trying to suggest that ayahuasca contributed to the death, but it was Kambo.

The potential risk outweighs the reward for me. There are less dangerous ways to purge.

So is it used as a detox tool an not so much to treat say depression? I saw a site say they recommended one take Kambo before going for a 5MEO-DMT experience as it’s “recommended.” Is that true or just a sales pitch?

I imagine it might help some people (with 5-meo-DMT ceremonies) who have trouble letting go / purging... but - for me - I don't need anything other than the bufo. It is the strongest drug on the planet. I already achieve everything I want to achieve, so I can't see how it would help.

You definitely don't need Kambo.

It comes from a different part of the world than the Colorado River Toad. I can't imagine that village people in the Sonoran desert were traditionally importing giant tree frogs from the Amazonian jungle. It is more commonly associated with ayahuasca.

Consuming it with ayahuasca has tainted public (and legal) perception of DMT.

There is a court case that is expected to wrap up by the end of the year in Australia where they are trying to pin the death of a disabled man on ayahuasca, even though he died from kambo. For this reason, it should not (in my opinion) be consumed at ceremonies alongside ayahuasca or 5-meo-DMT.

The company - Dreaming Arts - had made significant progress establishing ayahuasca use as a religious practice in Australia. The result of this court case will take the country (and potentially the rest of the world) backwards in terms of psychedelic legalization.

The association between Kambo and DMT / 5-meo-DMT is unfortunate.