View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Just whipped up some DMT, right?

pinksocks

Greenlighter
Well, it's been 5 years since I've done so. IIRC, after I made my first pull from my first batch years ago, it was evaporated the next day and ready for smoking..

well, I reignited my love for DMT and decided to whip some up again. I made a pull 2 days ago (far smaller quanity of MHRB = 50g this time)

and I'm still waiting for it to evaporate! :( What's going on? Tiny crystals formed at the edge of the pyrex, but everywhere else are just wet streaks running across the dish.

halp pls.

Maybe it is oily, it would help if you would explain (somewhat elaborately) how you did your 'pull' to get this extract. :)

2 cups of water into a quart jar / 3 table spoons of LYE / *shake shake shake* / add 50g of MHRB *sit for an hour* / add 50ML of Naphta / sat over night / made the pull with a turkey baster / sprayed out onto a wide pyrex pan

this was 2 days ago. there are now these long streaks of ... the substance sprayed out over the pan

pTk4Gtb.jpg

50g of mimosa rootbark should yield about 500mg of DMT, usually as a white to off white crystal.

Scrape the stuff up and see what it weighs and also if it has "the smell". The streaks are probably your DMT, finely dispersed across the glass.

the yield was strikingly small, and was sticky as all hell. I don't think enough was pulled out of the NAPHTA from the jar (as there was some left over)

It was entirely too small / sticky to weigh

perhaps 100mg.

the type of yield that had me teetering on where I wanted to be ;_;

the next yield I hope is more bountiful.

the yield was strikingly small, and was sticky as all hell. I don't think enough was pulled out of the NAPHTA from the jar (as there was some left over)

It was entirely too small / sticky to weigh

perhaps 100mg.

If you get a sticky residue on your dish after an extraction smear it around with your fingertip and it should go ahead and crystalize enough to scrape up w/o getting all over everything.

If you get a sticky residue on your dish after an extraction smear it around with your fingertip and it should go ahead and crystalize enough to scrape up w/o getting all over everything.

wish I had known that sooner. So when it's sticky, just spread it with my finger, and give it another 18~ hours before preparing?

wish I had known that sooner. So when it's sticky, just spread it with my finger, and give it another 18~ hours before preparing?

yes, smear it aroun and it'll go from clear/oily to opaque/dry fairly quickly 2-3 hours...a fan helps.
I usually run into this when i evaporate instead of freeze precip...
Freeze precip tends to yield a purer product than evaporation does....i very rarely evaporate NPS or acetone...much better that way.

Last edited:
yes, smear it aroun and it'll go from clear to opaque fairly quickly 2-3 hours...a fan helps.
I usually run into this when i evaporate instead of freeze precip...
Freeze precip tends to yield a purer product than evaporation does....i very rarely evaporate NPS or acetone...much better that way.

I don't trust freeze precip though.. I have a new cook going in the same pyrex dish, if I just put it in there, wouldn't it build precipitation that would turn into water?

edit: I don't trust it as in I don't quite understand it :p

DMT freebase isn't water soluble so IF some condensation gets in your dish it won't hurt a thing.
What i'd recommend is evaporating half of your naptha, doing your freezer precip and then go ahead and evap the rest to see what you might have missed.
You can then see if there's a qualitative difference in freezer vs evap.
With the relatively small amount you're dealing with, it doesn't take much loss to hurt a lot...

DMT freebase isn't water soluble so IF some condensation gets in your dish it won't hurt a thing.
What i'd recommend is evaporating half of your naptha, doing your freezer precip and then go ahead and evap the rest to see what you might have missed.
You can then see if there's a qualitative difference in freezer vs evap.
With the relatively small amount you're dealing with, it doesn't take much loss to hurt a lot...

touche. I'll freeze overnight and evap while I'm at work! will report back :)

Alright, was pretty bountiful, far more so then the first pull. I just recooked and made a pull, this one, I set out in the freezer at the door, then the next day, when the naphta had become yellow, I poured that solvent into a new dish. My question is this

the pull that's been in the freezer all night looks beautiful, crystal everywhere. Should I let it sit in the freezer any longer now that all naphta has been removed or should I let it sit in air now? Or should I set in the freezer for the crystals to continue to grow now that the NAPHTA has been removed then air evap?

Last edited:
Alright, was pretty bountiful, far more so then the first pull. I just recooked and made a pull, this one, I set out in the freezer at the door, then the next day, when the naphta had become yellow, I poured that solvent into a new dish. My question is this

the pull that's been in the freezer all night looks beautiful, crystal everywhere. Should I let it sit in the freezer any longer now that all naphta has been removed or should I let it sit in air now? Or should I set in the freezer for the crystals to form now that the NAPHTA has been removed then air evap?

Take it out of the freezer and dry as quickly as possible...use a indirect fan... Once the solvent is gone your crystals will be nice and powdery...a little waxy but defintely won't melt.
All solvent must be gone though or it'll remelt on you....won't hurt it but won't be as pretty either.
Take the dry crystals and put them in something that can be accessed easily...a small zip-lock bag and store in freezer or fridge.

Also, go ahead and evap the rest of your solvent that you poured off...it'll give you an idea of how well your freezer tek worked...DON'T WANT ANY LEFT BEHIND...and the colder the freezer the less that's left behind.
With a partial evap prior to freezing along with a COLD freezer you can get it all that way in one shot.

OH...Good job...sounds like you're a fucking "chef" now.

the pull that's been in the freezer all night looks beautiful, crystal everywhere. Should I let it sit in the freezer any longer now that all naphta has been removed or should I let it sit in air now? Or should I set in the freezer for the crystals to continue to grow now that the NAPHTA has been removed then air evap?

Okay so I pulled it out and quickly poured away the remaining NAPHTA, like I said (into a new pyrex for freezing ^_~). It's now sitting indirectly in the path of a fan. However, it seems like there's a lot of moisture there now and the crystals from before have soaked up into said moisture.. however, this looks like water, (the naphta is gone, the smell is gone, etc)

after the water evaps, the crystals will return, right?

=D

Okay so I pulled it out and quickly poured away the remaining NAPHTA, like I said (into a new pyrex for freezing ^_~). It's now sitting indirectly in the path of a fan. However, it seems like there's a lot of moisture there now and the crystals from before have soaked up into said moisture.. however, this looks like water, (the naphta is gone, the smell is gone, etc)

after the water evaps, the crystals will return, right?

=D

It sounds like your crystals melted upon evaporation...water shouldn't effect them...if that is water.
If the "liquid" persists, do the "smear" thing to finish drying/crystalization and see if the liquid is actually melted spice...it happens...won't hurt anything though.

It sounds like your crystals melted upon evaporation...water shouldn't effect them...if that is water.
If the "liquid" persists, do the "smear" thing to finish drying/crystalization and see if the liquid is actually melted spice...it happens...won't hurt anything though.

.....MMMMM..MELTED?

wait! What! They looked so beautiful frozen! I poured the remaining (yellowish) naphta into a new dish and set that out to freeze and immediately set the dish by the fan.. and they melted? ;_; they were gorgeous

what would be the best course of action here? Is there anyway to save them?

Last edited:
.....MMMMM..MELTED?

wait! What! They looked so beautiful frozen! I poured the remaining (yellowish) naphta into a new dish and set that out to freeze and immediately set the dish by the fan.. and they melted? ;_; they were gorgeous

what would be the best course of action here? Is there anyway to save them?

Well you can rextal or do the smear thing like i said...it'll dry right up then scrape it up with a razor blade and smoke that shit.

I'll try explaining a bit.
Yeah DMT can have different morphology (appearance, consistency, texture), it can be waxy which is basically amorphous (formless) or microcrystalline / crystalline (neatly ordered in molecular lattice) and different gradations of neatness in that order.
It depends for a big part on purity and energy. Purity because if there is other stuff in your DMT crystals cannot be formed well because impurities disrupt ability of molecules to stack on top of each other evenly. Just like it is not difficult for you to stack cubes on top of each other neatly, but it is harder to make a nice stack of objects if there are all kinds of random ass forms mixed together.
I also said energy because you get bigger and nicer well-shaped crystals if you let it crystallize slowly, just like a person can make a neater stack of objects if you don't hurry him like crazy. (an entropy thing?)

(so what to do..)
Freezing waxy DMT (protect it from the air which has water in it) has been reported to create more neat 'chunks' even upon thawing but I don't know how crystal-like that really is. Again, it is best to recrystallize and do it slowly: best is to use the absolute least amount of naphtha (or better solvent) needed to re-dissolve all your DMT, if you use warm solvent you need even less of it.. (don't heat stuff like naphtha with open flames!!!), then let it cool / freeze and-or evaporate as slowly as you can by putting it somewhere or in/on something that allows the temperature to drop relatively slowly. For example if you use warm solvent, you can put it in a waterbath of the same temperate and just let that cool off. Because the waterbath is so much larger, it takes a longer time to cool than just your little volume of solution.

Well you can rextal or do the smear thing like i said...it'll dry right up then scrape it up with a razor blade and smoke that shit.

basically this, but it's still in liquid form :/

I'll try explaining a bit.
Yeah DMT can have different morphology (appearance, consistency, texture), it can be waxy which is basically amorphous (formless) or microcrystalline / crystalline (neatly ordered in molecular lattice) and different gradations of neatness in that order.
It depends for a big part on purity and energy. Purity because if there is other stuff in your DMT crystals cannot be formed well because impurities disrupt ability of molecules to stack on top of each other evenly. Just like it is not difficult for you to stack cubes on top of each other neatly, but it is harder to make a nice stack of objects if there are all kinds of random ass forms mixed together.
I also said energy because you get bigger and nicer well-shaped crystals if you let it crystallize slowly, just like a person can make a neater stack of objects if you don't hurry him like crazy. (an entropy thing?)

(so what to do..)
Freezing waxy DMT (protect it from the air which has water in it) has been reported to create more neat 'chunks' even upon thawing but I don't know how crystal-like that really is. Again, it is best to recrystallize and do it slowly: best is to use the absolute least amount of naphtha (or better solvent) needed to re-dissolve all your DMT, if you use warm solvent you need even less of it.. (don't heat stuff like naphtha with open flames!!!), then let it cool / freeze and-or evaporate as slowly as you can by putting it somewhere or in/on something that allows the temperature to drop relatively slowly. For example if you use warm solvent, you can put it in a waterbath of the same temperate and just let that cool off. Because the waterbath is so much larger, it takes a longer time to cool than just your little volume of solution.

I know now for future pulls, however, with this original pull I believe I fucked up the tek unfortunately, I know for a fact I did not add enough NaOH in. Would that have such an affect?