• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Just started Rx for OxyContin and Lyrica

SummerWinter

Bluelighter
Hey there everyone. My doctor just started me on 30 mg OxyContin twice a day and 100 mg of Lyrica twice a day. I started the Lyrica a few days before the oxy because I was finishing up my Xtampza. I noticed the Lyrica made me feel a little off, almost a little bit high not euphoric but like words were hard to remember, for example. Once I started the OxyContin, all I want to do is sleep. I can get a good night’s sleep. Sleep for an extra couple hours in the morning. Have an afternoon nap. Then I fell asleep an hour and a half while my daughter was in gymnastics (her dad took her). I find it very difficult to catch my breath and I always feel like I’m having trouble breathing. I’m not, I know that I can breathe and I am breathing fine. It just feels like I’m always out of breath. After I get up and walk a few steps I almost have to sit down. It’s like what I imagine being very, very, very old is like. Is this common? When I look at side effects for the two drugs online, They both say they can cause sleepiness and fatigue. But nothing is really gone into great length about it. Has anyone else had these issues? Will this get better or go away completely? I’m taking a couple of days off because I know I need to adjust to these medications. But I can’t continue to live my life like this. Also the OxyContin absolutely does not last 12 hours for me and I wake up in withdrawals every morning.

i just know that i would be wrecked taking 60mgs of oxycontin in one day and i'm 5.7 148 pounds...

maybe you can talk to your doctor about splitting the pills up through out the day and maybe even taking a little less until you get a tolerance. i really don't know how those things work though... just thought i'd comment to say that is a lot of OC for some people... i feel like if you were to take it at high doses like that until you get used to it then you are probably going to have some addiction going on when you try to stop... i'd really try to work something out using smaller doses.

Absolutely talk to prescribing Dr. Without tolerance Lyrica (pregabalin) in itself will get me wobbly. It would take a couple hundred more mg and am scared to take with anything as it enhances something and sometimes it's CNS related. Be safe and it could be a tolerance thing and probably is but be extra mindful when on this as it has gotten me "high" like drunk almost but no alcohol side effects. Cept bumping ones head or worse.
FTR: I am Rxed 100mg twice a day.
I take it as needed. I do not always take it because of tolerance, dependence and possibly memory issues.
After around 3 years I can still feel 100mg when I take it but it is usually with another substance (bnz) which I know I shouldn't probably but....
Last all day don't even think about redosing for some reason. Maybe memory is at play there. Idk
Be safe and please talk to your doctor by phone or whatever. And be careful. Yes?
Peace

Thanks folks. For the record, I have been on extended release opioids for several years now. Hysingla, morphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, fentanyl patches…I’ve tried it all. I have 4 bulging, herniated, and one completely slipped disc in my back. I also have scoliosis (my spine leans 11 degrees to the left, so thankfully not that bad), and arthritis in my cervical facet joints. I’ve had radio frequency ablation about ten times. i have a tens unit machine for at home use but that seems to make it worse. I tried regular PT (Dutch method) which did nothing for me. Now I’m going to an awesome Australian based PT doc. So I just want to make it clear I am not opioid naive. The Lyrica seems to help with the spinal fire I feel. Like my whole spine is on fire or I’m being electrocuted. It’s hell. So I hope you can understand my desperation. Regarding the OxyContin, I’m thinking maybe 20mg three times a day so I don’t wake up every morning in withdrawals. i know what you mean, previous poster, about feeling high or drunk. It’s a very weird feeling. I was wondering if I had to take the Lyrica twice a day or if I could take it as needed, so thanks for your feedback. So maybe the strength of the oxy plus the toll withdrawals take on the brain and body are why I've been so tired. At least I feel like there’s maybe an explanation and hope now.

Lyrica sure will help you with the torture flashes but it's an insidious med, no wonder that you feel drowsy and sleepy. When I have to use it over 150mgs I feel retarded. But it's good for those ungodly painful electric flashes. About taking it as needed or around the clock, that's a hard thing to tell. As needed worked for me for cervical nerve pain but didn't for trigeminal, wich required a light but around the clock dosing regime. Lyrica and opiates are well known for potentiating each other, too. Lastly, be aware that, if you get used to it for a long time and then quit, pregabalin may let you go without a problem or may send you into horrible wds, it's a very weird drug in that regard.
If you allow me to give you an advise, you should ask your doc or your pain clinic about certain lidocaine delivering devices that they should have or at least know about. They are very helpful for some patients, they have helped me a fair bit. You need to wear it for a week or so, unconfortable for sure, but the benefits last for months.

Thanks folks. For the record, I have been on extended release opioids for several years now. Hysingla, morphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, fentanyl patches…I’ve tried it all. I have 4 bulging, herniated, and one completely slipped disc in my back. I also have scoliosis (my spine leans 11 degrees to the left, so thankfully not that bad), and arthritis in my cervical facet joints. I’ve had radio frequency ablation about ten times. i have a tens unit machine for at home use but that seems to make it worse. I tried regular PT (Dutch method) which did nothing for me. Now I’m going to an awesome Australian based PT doc. So I just want to make it clear I am not opioid naive. The Lyrica seems to help with the spinal fire I feel. Like my whole spine is on fire or I’m being electrocuted. It’s hell. So I hope you can understand my desperation. Regarding the OxyContin, I’m thinking maybe 20mg three times a day so I don’t wake up every morning in withdrawals. i know what you mean, previous poster, about feeling high or drunk. It’s a very weird feeling. I was wondering if I had to take the Lyrica twice a day or if I could take it as needed, so thanks for your feedback. So maybe the strength of the oxy plus the toll withdrawals take on the brain and body are why I've been so tired. At least I feel like there’s maybe an explanation and hope now.

Have you tried neurontin/gabapentin?

Yes I have. It made me incredibly anxious and did nothing for pain. It was one of the worst medication related experiences of my life. I know it works for others, so I am not denigrating the entire use of the drug. But no, it did not help me.

The Lyrica maybe potentiating the Oxcontin. You are right on the money with extended release pain killers not lasting 12 hours. Are you opiate naive? I take oxycodone and I know that opiates can cause respiratory problems.
The oxycodone wakes me up and keeps me from sleeping. But everybody is different. I take Neurontin( Gabapentin) which is Lyrica's little brother. The gabapentin, does make me a little clumsy and off. They prescribed gaba's for so many things. Never had Lyrica, but if it is like it's little brother, you maybe getting withdrawals from it. Oxy, at least for me, takes a lot longer to get withdrawals, than the next morning.

Hi. Thank you for the info that they might be potentiating each other. I just know that Lyrica stops the electrical, fire-like burning I feel throughout my entire spine. I am so grateful for that.

I am not opiate naive. If you read my above post, I explain all the extended release opiates I have been on. Hydromorphone has worked the best so far. And it actually lastEd 24 hours, or more. I did not wake up in withdrawals. It was wonderful. It became unavailable for a time from my Pharmacy. So my doctor and I were scrambling trying to get me on some thing else. I had tried the xtampza before and found it did nothing. It has very very low ratings on medication review forums. I liked the Hydromorphone ER. It recently became available again. But I already had the prescription for a month for OxyContin. I don’t know what to do. Do I try and stay on the oxy and get the right dosage and get used to it? Do I go back to the Hydromorphone which I found a way to abuse? I don’t want to die. I don’t wanna be a drug addict. I’m afraid to be on the Hydromorphone because I’m afraid I’m gonna abuse it again. But it’s really the only thing that has helped my back pain in addition to an immediate relief hydrocodone and/or oxycodone. So, that was scary to type. I’m a middle aged housewife. I don’t “do drugs”. But I also have extensive back issues (see my original post) causing me to need to take something for relief. I’ve tried everything. Maybe if I just get on the right dosage of the OxyContin it’ll be fine. Crying as I write this. I never meant for it to be this way.

I am also middle aged. I ended up on pills because I went to college and became a drunk. I damaged my liver and pancreas. And cirrhosis may not me hurt yet but I have pancreas issues. The gabapentin helps with my appetite and was used as a comfort med when my pancreatitus let up and I stop taking Morphine ER.
My deceased little sister was epileptic and she had mixed opinions on Lyrica. My dad was prescribed gabapentin for diabetic nerve issues with his legs and feet. He hated it. Hydromorphone, I believe is Dilauded. 3 out 4 members of my family; My dad, sister and I agree. Dilauded is the best perscription opiod any of us ever had.
As a powerful morphine derivative it is great for pain. Orally it varies from person to person on how much of it will actually be processed by your body.
The problem with morphine and dilauded is an inconsistent bioavailibility. Meaning the amount that actually gets used(absorbed?) varies from person to person. In most cases most is wasted if taking orally. Oxycodone has a high bioavailibility. Just like its weaker cousin hydrocodone.
I have to warn you that oxycodone which is the substance Oxycontin, can very easily be abused because of its strong mood elevating effects. Some people hate it.
One of the keys to pain relief is to keep a dosage that works and stick to it, usually on an empty stomach. Keeping the times and amounts consistent is important(this was the advice my late father, a retired surgeon gave me.)
He was also on Oxycodone IR for back and other pains. He started taking more and more and got less and less relief; long term pain management is tricky and often leads to addiction. I was on Morphine ER for 6 years, but I was good and took as directed.( It packs no buzz and was very mediocre taken orally for me. With oxycodone ir( immediate release) I have been on a fairly low dose for over 7 years. My fear of withdrawal and getting my supply cut off has kept me in check.
The Xtampza, I had to look it up is stronger than oxycodone, but everyone has their own reaction to various drugs.
The fact that you are use to heavy narcotics and have withdrawals, might mean that 60 MG a day of Oxycodone in not enough. Most, of the pain killers you listed are actually stronger than Oxycontin (Oxycodone). You may have built up a tolerance and extended release only last 8-10 hours( maybe if your lucky)
I am not a physician but the problems you listed, let's just say the governments war on perscription pain pills can probably claim you as a victim. 320mg is the most recommended dose of oxycodone in a 24hour period. The fed says a fraction of that. Make pain patients suffer, it is how they are fighting illegally made outside the country fentanyl.
The other drugs you listed are stronger. I hate to say this but you may be undermedicated. The drugs you have been on might have raised your tolerance and due to FDA, and the federal government, now they make a lot more of your doctors decisions.
If your body processes Hydomorphone ER well, that may give you an issue, you said you found a way to abuse it.
The fact that you are scared of becoming a drug addict is good. You said you are a housewife; can you have your husband control your meds? With an emergency stash in case something happens? The reason I say that is you do not want full blown withdrawals after years of use.
One problem is doctors are very reluctant to prescribed high doses of Oxycontin or even oxycodone due to the ease of abuse.
I am an alcoholic who became allergic to alcohol(seriously). Alcohol was almost like a bad combination of heroin and crack to me.
But that is not an issue, and other than nicotine( brief severe addiction to caffeine, I now hate coffee) pills and drugs don't excite me, although I am terrified of running out of Valium. I used it to get off Ativan. Opiates keep me up and even give me energy.
I feel bad for you, both my parents had back problems, but nothing close to what you have.
I don't know why Oxycotin makes you sleep. There is alot of abuse potential in Oxycodone, however you might be like my sister who really loved hydromorphone(dilauded) it and worked well for her but she hated oxycodone.
My recommendation might be to avoid Oxycodone ir, the reason is there are more of them in a script and a mind that wants drugs will make up all kinds of excuses to take one more or take it early.
The fact that you are scared of abusing dilauded or hydromorphone is worrisome, but it shows that you know the risks and are not in any denial
The question remains, can you have your husband control your meds. Then take what works best? Also there is 15 MG oxycodone but you would have to hope your pharmacy had 120 of them every 30 days, that could be an issue.(1 every 4 hours). The 20mg ir will last about 4 hours. Would 3 be enough for 24 hours?
Was there any med that worked but you had no desire to take. Fentanyl patches?
I am stuck on benzos(Valium because narcotic pain killers keep me up, even though I am not on them 24/7 like I was.)
Benzodiazepines are no joke; they are easy to get addicted too and have withdrawals that can kill. Long term daily use 3 times a day for almost 7 years: very bad on my part.
You mentioned abuse of hydromorphone, how I thought; extended relief painkillers used some kind of tamper proof wax binding in them. I hope you are not shooting them. The binding wax can cause fatal complications if injected. Sorry to ramble on

Last edited: