• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Just purchased expired meds from the pharmacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cripkeeper

Bluelighter
So this morning I go to collect my usual prescription Tussionex, which I have a long positive experiences with.

Upon getting home I notice that the bottle says exp. 12/2020.
I'm assuming that means it expires pretty much now.

I know it's not unsafe, but I don't know if the strength could possibly have weakened a bit. Should I call the pharmacy or just keep what I have? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

I doubt the strength will have weakened at all. The expiry date isn't up until December 31st so unless your pickup is meant to last until after this date then I wouldn't bother contacting the pharmacy.

So this morning I go to collect my usual prescription Tussionex, which I have a long positive experiences with.

I know it's not unsafe, but I don't know if the strength could possibly have weakened a bit. Should I call the pharmacy or just keep what I have? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
It will be fine. Most medications retain there efficiency long after there exp date..

You have a "usual" prescription for tussionex? Thats odd. What for?

YeahI have a minor bronchial issues. They come and go, most of the time go. But when it comes that my this is my docs treatment plan for me.

I was saying that I had been prescribed it more than once before and I was quite familiar with the medicine.

I really don't think I needed to explain myself in the first place. There's no need to.

Last edited:
I used to know a guy that trash digged into as many pharmacie's trash cans as possible in the hopes of finding free drugs

He would often take expired hydro something norcos

And Percocets and would still work somehow

Who knows

I don't see the need for this being any of your concern, with all due respect. Yes I have a minor bronchial issues. They come and go, most of the time go. But when it comes that my this is my docs treatment plan for me.

I was saying that I had been prescribed it more than once before and I was quite familiar with the medicine.

I really don't think I needed to explain myself in the first place. There's no need to.
Im just curious is all, it’s not often it’s prescribed.

As for your question, it will be more than fine to use. Even after the expired date it would be ok.

Right on... Its some kind of allergy I can't pinpoint and all it causes is headache and very irritating scratcy cough. Couple of times a year, it's an unusual situation I guess.

Right on... Its some kind of allergy I can't pinpoint and all it causes is headache and very irritating scratcy cough. Couple of times a year, it's an unusual situation I guess.
Yeah, it really isn’t often prescribed but if it helps you then that’s good.

It’s good, drugs usually maintain their strengths for a long time I’ve taken 3 year old medication and it still makes me feel good.

Yeah i was also just curious didnt mean to make it feel like you needed to explain yourself.

Many medications can last a decade without significant declines in potency, with some very major exceptions (like antibiotics for instance).

Thanks for the answers. I wonder how many tons and tons of prescription and non prescription medication goes unsold and expires each year in the United States alone.
I know there are protocols in line for proper despoil. Perhaps some untapped meds may possibly be returned to the manufacturer or maybe even certain chemicals could even be recycled somehow? Idk.
I'm sure unfortunately that most prolly just get dumped somewhere, poisoning our Earth 😢.

If you believe in coincidence I was, not two minutes ago, looking for info. on this exact topic because I just today realised that I have patches that expire March 2021. So found the link below albeit that it’s the only one i.e. all others (especially those from the manufacturers) specifically state to dispose of most medications upon expiry date.

I am now conflicted i.e. do I extract now and store in Methanol and will that ensure no loss of potency for a far longer period (stored just above zero) or keep the patches as is but in their special little packaging and in the obligatory cool dry and dark place?

Last edited:
Most popular drugs are super stable in pill or powder form, as long as they're kept in a dry place and away from sunlight there's nothing to worry about.
It's usually the other ingredients (like fillers & binders) that go "bad" first.
With stuff like LSD or drugs which are somewhat prone to oxidation it's probably best to store them in the fridge (well wrapped to protect them from humidity). If one really wanted to protect them at all cost there's always the option of wrapping it on foil, putting it in inside a bag with a desiccant, vacuum sealing the whole thing and storing the package in the fridge.

Liquid solutions can be significantly less stable once opened though, because most chemical reactions take place in solutions. Many of such preparations are water based and water is involved in a lot of "degradation" reactions , plus microorganisms can eventually grow there too. Also alcoholic (methanol & ethanol) and glycerol-based solutions can absorb significant amounts of water after a while. Which is why preservants are frequently added to liquid pharmaceuticals but of course their efficacy decreases over time.

i had a doc prescribe it for a cough. He “used” to prescribe it and say, use this 3 days straight and I guareente the cough will be gone. He was correct. He no longer prescribed like this anymore.
pharmacies that mail?

i had a doc prescribe it for a cough. He “used” to prescribe it and say, use this 3 days straight and I guareente the cough will be gone. He was correct. He no longer prescribed like this anymore.
pharmacies that mail?

You can't be asking for details of on line pharmacies on here mate.

I'll have to close this, sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.